Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customs: General Logistics Systems

Options
  • 29-10-2003 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭

Has anyone else ordered something from the US and had their package mauled by General Logistics Systems of Blanchardstown? Apparently they're in charge of customs clearance now, for US packages at least.

I had ordered and paid for $140 worth of goods and they charged $65 duty on them. I have to pay this before they'll have it delivered. They say it's to do with EU regulations about buying from outside the EU. It's another tax shakedown and the consumer is paying. Has anyone else experienced this blatant over-charging?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by combs
    I had ordered and paid for $140 worth of goods and they charged $65 duty on them. I have to pay this before they'll have it delivered. They say it's to do with EU regulations about buying from outside the EU. It's another tax shakedown and the consumer is paying. Has anyone else experienced this blatant over-charging?
    Part of this will be import duty (variable depending on product), part VAT (most likely 21%) and part "handling charge" for collecting the import duty and VAT. This is the problem with dealing with American e-retailers who aren't set up to sell into Europe or alternatively are negligent in complying with EU VAT rules or are actually scamming (not necessarily so in this case) by not declaring these charges (if an American retailer sells over €50,000 per year into the EU, the should show you these charges up front). The handling charge is imposed by the transport agent, no one else.

You could contact the American seller and get them to charge you the taxes, thereby (hopefully) getting rid of the handling charge.

In the end it's a matter of pay up or cancel the order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭combs

So what you're saying is that it may well be a shortcoming or inexperience on the part of the seller? I've ordered from the US before but it was usually for video games which are all listed as $15, even though they may cost more. But the seller in those cases would be seasoned importers/retailers.

I rang another cusoms place that used to handle this stuff before GLS got their licence and I was informed that GLS are upsetting a lot of people with their over-charging, even on harmless things like second hand books.

Advertisement