Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Paint application out there.

Options
  • 19-08-1999 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭

Just looking for different opinions. I'm using PSP 5 and Macromedia Fireworks 2 atm and I dont really think PSP is that good. Does anyone have any suggestions on anything better?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

PSP5 is, as far as I know, the best shareware one you can get. Obviously if, like me, you can get Photoshop then you're laughing.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

don't know what you need it for, but at the moment I use

Microsoft Photo Editor (I know MS, but it is actually quite good!)

Paint

Sometimes Cool3d

TotalCad (now and then)

and of course, PSP5.0 the 'evaluation' version that is on day 246 and hasn't run out... hehe. Honestly, I did nothing, it just never wore out.

j.

now, if only I can learn to draw worth a ****...

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

lad psp5 is kewl if you USE the layers, and IF you get all the photoshop plugins and load em up in psp5, its not that easy to get em working but there's pleanty of sites about to show u how !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭creative

head off withyourself to www.adobe.com get the free v5.0 trial ( aboput 30megs) and then of to astalavista.box.sk and get yourself a crack and bump it up to full version...(purely to decide whether or not you like the extra features in the full version before you go all out and purchase it mind)

Then try and figure the ******* out!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭creative

or simply go to www.kopykatz.com and get the full v5.5....tis slow though!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

The best graphics package for editing 256 colour images at the pixel level is ProMotion
    (http://www.cosmigo.com/promotion/)

It's probably got the edge on Deluxe Paint, just about.

PSP, Photoshop, yep. Yep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

i've used Corel Draw 7 package for a year now and its been excellent, everything you'll need for graphics creation/manipulation in one box.
    the amount you can do with it just blows other apps away in my opinion..
    anyway gettin Corel 9 tomorrow..
    mmmmm smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I use PSP5. The only thing I miss from not having photoshop anymore is the cool paintbrush method of creating a mask (you could paint around what you wanted to copy instead of wand or those other things).

Maybe it exists in PSP5, but I haven't found it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭-=Raven=-

Kai's Power tools , photoshop 5.5
    Nice combo that.
    Actually..psp5 is really good yeah , and simple to use.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

It's worth pointing out to anyone (and I know alot of people have got PSP) that if you only know the basic ways of doing things in PSP then I recommend you surf the web for tutorials because it's genuinely an eye opener when you get into it (or any other paint proggie for that matter) and find out what can be done and how powerful the l;ikes of PSP is.

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

If you're doing graphics for the web, not for commercial print processes, then there is NOTHING that Photoshop can do that PSP5 can't.

And PSP6 (in Beta now) looks SWEET.

Ja,
    Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Helv

Ta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

I USE PHOTOSHOP 5.
    I DESPISE PAINT SHOP PRO 5.
    'NUFF SAID!

ROFLOL!

Yes, and the rest of the world despises you, which I think settles that argument.

Next!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Corel still beats both tongue.gif
    hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Paint shop pro beta 5 is quite good, 20MB or so. & it ha a very good gif optimizer in it. Its an unlimited time version as well. Great screen capturing ability too.

www.iol.ie/~mcguiret
    System Enhancement, as seen on planetunreal, qamex & Crimes pingpage

[This message has been edited by CastorTroy02 (edited 22-08-99).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

Shinji, do you think if I liked you you'd despise me? Of course not. You despise me because I don't care if I hurt you. You've got such a god awfull personality.

Oooh, psychoanalysis now....

Nah, I just dislike you cos you're a gimp who acts like a pretentious little turd online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Getting back to the topic... ive just met someone online who says they use PAINTER 5 and say its the best drawing application there is... ne1 heard of it?
    Whats it like?

Asuka

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

I use Photoshop5.5 ,Painter5 and Corel Photopaint depending on what I'm doing. Photoshop is the best imo for general work, Corel's file type filters give you a serious amount of control and Painter5 has some nice effects for well painting really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

I use mostly Photoshop 5, and have to agree that it is your only man. I only use PSP5 for browsing folders, and for image format conversion. On the 3d side of things, Bryce is great for landscapes, Persistance of Vision is a bit of fun, and pretty soon I will be getting into 3D Studio Max..as soon as I have a little word with our zeraW_feihC smile.gif
    I never really liked Corel Draw..Photoshop's features are far better IMHO.

www.csn.ul.ie/~osiris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

BTW shinji fyi the person i met was a (rather good) manga artist tongue.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

MS PAINTBRUSH ROXORZ ALL OF YOUR ASSES!!!! smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bishop

Does anyone know where I can download psp5
    from? thanx

Just go to the men who make the bloody thing:-

http://www.jasc.com/

Why people can't use altavista or yahoo like most of us normal people I'll never know smile.gif

M

Advertisement