Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband.ie wireless latency.

• 29-10-2003 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Is it likely to the same as satellite, i.e. useless for gaming ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

In short, Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Wrong forum, and no its nothing like sat ping times, some people get extrememly good pings, some people get poor pings, all depends on signal strenght distance and quality. Do a search for IBB and Pings you will see them range from 30-40 to 100-150

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by eireboy
    In short, Yes.

sats pings are up there in the 500ms, i've never seen aybody clam to get that high

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Boston
    sats pings are up there in the 500ms, i've never seen aybody clam to get that high
    I've seen people post that IBB pings were that high, but, as far as I can tell, they'd never actually used IBB.

I use IBBs Ripwave non-line-of-sight service, and I get pings in the 90-120ms range. The HomeBreeze line-of-sight service, with an aerial on your roof, is better (probably as good as DSL with interleaving turned on).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I would compare wireless, in terms of latency, to ADSL, in that it will be around the same in most rollouts.

A lot of it may also be down to usage and interference. For example, in a perfect setup the latency using standard 802.11b equipment will be about 1.5ms, even in an outdoor environment. Distance typically does not make any difference as far as latency goes, as the speed of radiowaves is similar to that of the speed of light, and you won't usually have links that are longer than 50km at most.

Satellite broadband, on the other hand, will have pings of at least 400ms due to the distance the satellite is from the earth, and the time it takes for the signal to travel.

P.S. There is a smartBridges 802.11b access point about 7km from my house. Pinging this using a cheap mesh antenna the latency I get is 2ms.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I have irish broadband Home Breeze plus, and i get pings as low as 40ms stably in irish servers, and as low as 60-70 stably in UK servers, and always less than 100ms (in recent times anyway)

Using an antenne is totally different from using a satellite. its much much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Doctor_Chipolata

Well I'm about 200ft away from the RTE mast so I might chance it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

2.4GHz wireless is as fast as ethernet speeds for pings if your signal strength is good. obviously there are overheads, routing issues etc that come into play.

Anything from 40ms to 100ms should be the normal for wireless internet products. it is nothing like satellite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭DrEvil

i use IBB Home Breeze plus package and play games all the time on it and never have problems.

if ur really want to know what the story is you should ring them and ask them. i find they're very easy to talk to and they don't talk much BS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭glimmerman

I suspect IBB is prbably fine, but if you're into gaming, stay away from irishWisp... I used to get ave pings of about 500ms night after night at one stage. still intermittent problems now and again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭IANOC

ive breezehome plus
    was fine for a couple of dayz now it sucks
    im getting pings now constantly in black hawk down of about
    500-800
    in the beginning it was around 80-120
    i cant suss it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

i think IBB have problems with their servers maxing out, as i can download at up to 60kbps, and yet my pings are high. i don';t think their bandwidth is maxing out.

All you can hope is that they get bigger servers or something. Then again, my assumption could be wrong...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

You're taking an extreme risk if you get IBB for gaming. The vast majority of people i know who have it (including me) can't use it for gaming as the pings are atrocious.

Dont bother going for ibb if ur into gaming as its a pile of shite. I only know of one person who was satisfied with the pings.

yes but mine was great with pings in game for a couple of days when i got it so the potential is there but it maybe could be just down to bandwidth traffic at certain times
    one for IBB to answer probably
    they told me it was fine for gaming most of the time
    so ill see what happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if he's only 200 feet from the rte mast i would think he'd be fine, but the only way to find out is to give it a go.

even if it's not great at the moment, I'm sure they will have the problems fixed before long.

from reading other posts it sounds like they are actually working hard to fix all their teething problems (unlike other providers) and before long it should be good i would say.

like has been said beofre, it definately has the potential.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Yeah, IBB was perfect for me for the first 2 weeks (solid pings and download). Its just a shame about the 28 weeks since.

fingers crossed it should work out:)

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭incubus

Originally posted by vibe666
    if he's only 200 feet from the rte mast i would think he'd be fine, but the only way to find out is to give it a go.

Im 100m from the tower and still recieve a crap service :rolleyes:

i dont think the distance from the tower makes much of a difference with IBB im a good couple of miles from it and my signal was good for a week just the bandwidth traffic i suppose and contention:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭uteotw

I use IBB and at the begining my pings were great... under 20ms, even on my laptop through my wi-fi router.

Since September the service has been crap... my pings to the DNS are up to more than 400ms. Strangly enough everything was great again this weekend, back under 20ms and then monday morning crap again.

I guess anyone unhappy with IBB pings and service should email the ODTR. http://www.odtr.ie

who are they and whatll they do?

Advertisement