Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who do United think they are?

• 29-10-2003 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭

As the Rio Ferdinand story comes into the clear that he is being charged with misconduct I find it absolutely fascinating that United can stand up and say that they will appeal anything that happens. Do they not realise that Rio Ferdinand Blatently broke the law. Accidentally or intentionally he broke the rules. I just cant understand the nerve they have. They aren't above the law. Ferguson is so used to getting his own way with everything that he thinks he will dictate to the FA or FIFA. I dont think so Alex.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Mostly bollòcks below this line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

As the Rio Ferdinand story comes into the clear that he is being charged with misconduct I find it absolutely fascinating that United can stand up and say that they will appeal anything that happens

Everyone has the right to appeal whats so fascinating about anyone saying they intend to exercise their rights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

This really all came about because of the FAs decision to take a harder line against drugs in sport try move into Olympic standard drugs testing. This is definitely needed as there have been high profile cases of drugs abuse in the Premiership.

Now, we then have a player who fails to turn up for a drug test and makes an excuse that does not seem to hold up to investigation. The fact is, a rule was broken. A rule important to the nature of the profession. The FA probably want to make an example, simply to show that players cannot be blase about drug testing and that the FA mean business. This is a good thing.

There have been claims that this is becoming a "high profile scapegoat" and that otehr cases were not treated he same. I would probably guess that the crackdown came in the wake of the Bosnich affair and a change of policy in the FA's drug enforcement and in any case, noone can provide anything more than conjecture on the alleged Man City case so it may not be comparing like with like.

Fergie has claimed he will sack any player found using drugs, however, it has no come out that Fergie hired a spy to watch his players and that this spy claims Bosnich was using drugs when on the Utd books. Why didn't he "sack" Bosnich? Fergie's role as a character witness for Ferdinand may therefore be in doubt.

The wording the FA used is interesting but it has not actually made the state of affairs any clearer than last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

If ferdinand is guilty of taking drugs he deserves whatever punisment he gets. I notice the charge does not mention drugs.

The excuse in the city case was that the player in question had to pick his mother up from the train station.

Fergie got rid of bosnich pretty sharp and these revelations would also make me question the reason for selling Jaap Stam, considering what happened him after he left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Mostly bollòcks below this line

Could not have said it better myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Where did you hear that they have appealed? I read a paper yesterday that if United appeal the charges against Ferdinand that they will be kicked out of the champions league so I doubt it if they appealed.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Errr can you be kicked out for appealing? sounds a bit made up as an appeal is used to try and use new evidence or whatever to change the decesion. They may up the punishment but i dont see what this has to do with Uefa as long as the FA make a proper fine.

Could you please source this info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

IF PEOPLE ARENT ALLOWED TO APPEAL THEN WHY HAVE THAT LOOPHOLE THERE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by sykeirl
    however, it has no come out that Fergie hired a spy to watch his players and that this spy claims Bosnich was using drugs when on the Utd books. Why didn't he "sack" Bosnich? Fergie's role as a character witness for Ferdinand may therefore be in doubt.

He did sack Bosnich. For all his faults, I think Ferguson is great when it comes to drugs in sport and a lot of people could learn a lot from him. Even though TheMuppet is only copping on now, i think most people realised the real reason Staam was sold after his positive test in Italy. Ferguson clearly DOES NOT stand for drug use in his club and not only that , but he seems to have a pretty compassionate approach when needed. He could have ruined Lee Sharpe's career but instead took him under his wing and sorted him out instead (if the scuttlebutt is to be believed anyway*).

I think if there was any sign of Rio actually having some sort of drug problem he'd be out like a bullet. I applaud ferguson for his stance.

* For those not familiar with it, The story goes that Lee Sharpe was living the club life a bit too hard and his night club debacles earned him the terrace nickname "E" Sharpe and performances suffered. Ferguson made him straighten himself out and told the media he had a case of meningitis from "a dodgy piece of cheese" whule he was in 'rehab'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by Dustaz
    He did sack Bosnich. For all his faults, I think Ferguson is great

Not true, after the signing of Barthez, Bosnich told United he would see out his contract unless he got a free transfer. Utd tried to compromise with a laon move to Celtic, which Bosnich rejected. He eventually got the move to Chelsea and his contract was terminated by mutual consent.

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    Errr can you be kicked out for appealing? sounds a bit made up as an appeal is used to try and use new evidence or whatever to change the decesion. They may up the punishment but i dont see what this has to do with Uefa as long as the FA make a proper fine.

It was on the back page of Tuesday's Irish Mirror. I know its the mirror but it didn't sound like a made up story to me as it had quotes from UEFA (of Fifa). It had that if United decide to appeal against Rio's charges that UEFA (or FIFA) will kick them out of the champs league.

What I want to know is where did you hear that They actually appealled the charges?

Originally posted by B-K-DzR

I actually found the link. It say's that if Ferdinand gets a lenghtly ban Ferguson said he will bring it to the high courts but FIFA said they will kick them out of the CL if they do.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/content_objectid=13563904_method=full_siteid=50143_headline=-FIFA-GET-TOUGH-ON-FERGUSON-name_page.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

wow but why they have the right to appeal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Not to the High courts though.

and snip that sig woo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

I guess not to the high court, That would be more taking them to court than appealing :p

I guess that answers my questions :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

i agree they've got too big for their boots,what's more important
    .setting a good example for kids and restoring the good name of soccer or defending some overpaid undertalented drug test evader

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Billy Turdhed

Only the best team in ENgerland since the Premiership began.

About time you coc****k*****s realised that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Billy is banned for his inability to follow the forum rules and to make any sort of positive contribution.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Am I the only to read the thread title and think to themselves 'some kind of superstar'

Anyway, carry on...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

And to top it all off fergie accuses arsenal and the FA in doing a deal. What an idiot. He thinks he controls the entire english game

the FA should put him in his place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

FIFA could open up a huge can of worms if they try to kick United out of the champions league.

Although FIFA have their rules, they have no basis in law, the EU's ruling on the Bosman case made this clear.

If United were banned for going to court they would claim that their rights to a fair trail were infringed and could sue FIFA for millions.

There are two issues here, players breaking rules over drug tests and the players right to 'due process' it's the second issue that United are up in arms about.

(BTW I hope that this doesn't go to court, I'm just pointing out the weakness in FIFAs threats.)

Also users like 'Billy Turdhed' should either grow up or get out, they are the kind of fan which sickens me.

Advertisement