Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

home network help

Options
  • 29-10-2003 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

i have 2 pc's connected over a crossover cable
    one is setup as the server with a 192.168.0.1 ip address and the other is set to obtain ip automatically
    up untill today this was working but now the second cant obtain an ip address from the first one and just sets itself up on a seperate subnet
    im sure the cable and network cards are working fine
    it just dosnt make any sense i didnt change any settings :confused:

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Maybe the DHCP server program on your server has stopped running.

If you had a bit more info on what sort of system you've got we'd be able to help you a bit better ... in particular what OS are the computers running?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

oops i ment to include that info both pc's are running win xp pro

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if one of the addresses is 169.254.x.y then it's using what microsoft call an "autoconfigure" address

(the address range is really only supposed to be used while getting your real address from an DHCP server)

If you are using ICS for DCHP - good luck. M$ DHCP server works much better than ICS but for marketing reasons is only available with the server product. I've tried some DHCP programs that run on windows but they all seem to have little niggles.,,

Start - Run - CMD
    ipconfig /all to see what cfged
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew

ping 127.0.0.1
    ping localhost
    ping the ip of the local machine
    ping the ip of the remote machine

route print

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

well i reinstalled the network card on the client pc and now everything worrks again

weird

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Why are you using DHCP with one fixed client?
    Just assign a fixed IP and subnet mask

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by SyxPak
    Why are you using DHCP with one fixed client?
    Just assign a fixed IP and subnet mask
    In fairness, I'd probably do the same initially, just for the sake of tinkering about with a DHCP server. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

and when your pals come over for a LAN it's nice to automatically receive IP addresses rather than find out two hours later that the IP you are trying *is* actually taking by the guy that denies it most....

Advertisement