Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

deletimg folders/files

Options
  • 29-10-2003 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Im using XP home and Im trying to delete a folder on my hard disc. When I try to delete ann error message occurs saying that the folder is in use by another user or program. Im not sharing the folder and Im the only user on this machine, so could it be another program? To be honest the folder just appeared on my hard disc as if it had been accidentily downloaded from the net.
    Is there a way of tracing the problem? Ive tried deleteing via my computer and by going into add/remove programs and both ways wont delete it. From looking at the folder and contents it doesnt seem important at all but.... !!!!

Any suggestions would be appreciated. :(:(:confused:

Hertz

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

First, perhaps there's a program in there that's running - open the folder, press ctrl+shift+esc and see if there's anything in the list that matches any of the files in the folder. If so, that's your problem, and you can close it from there if you're sure it's okay to do so.

Secondly, try restarting the computer, and attempt to delete it immediately after logging in.

Are there any apps that anyone knows of that will show what is accessing a particular file or folder?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭hertz

Tried what you suggested. didnt work. And I dont know of any apps to help me, Will I have to go into the registry?? Is it the last resort for a problem like this? I never been into registry before!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

on the HDD or the XP CD run
    \i386\winnt32 /cmdcons
    Reboot and chose option for command console - then delete files.
    only essential services and viruses will be still running..

or start - run - cmd - cd to folder and DEL /S /F /Q filename
    careful this will delete all files without asking from the folder you are in.

BTW: - just because you don't know what is in the folder does not mean it is not needed by the OS or a program

Might be be services etc. stop the in control panel ...

If unsure post the name of folder :)

Advertisement