Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UL College internet

Options
  • 30-10-2003 3:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭

A mate of mine who knows nothing about pcs brought his pc up with him to colllege,
    He cant get on the network and i cant go up a mess about with it,

Any1 know the settings you need and such to connect,
    Thanks,

cartman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

He'll need to go to the helpdesk in the library (ground floor in the PC area) and sign a form. He'll need to know the adapter address of his network card (using ipconfig or winipcfg at the command line depending on which version of windows he's running (assuming he's running Windows)). He does have a network card in the machine, yeah?

If it's a laptop he wants to connect to the network whenever he gets in it's just a matter of signing the form and waiting for an IP address to be assigned to him by Martin, Gordon, Mai or whoever's doing it these days. No charge if this is what he's doing.

The form is a standard "I promise not to do nasty things on HEANet or the college network" kind of thing.

If he wants to connect to the network from one of the student villages the procedure is the same but they charge about 120 euros a year for the privilege (blame the Kazaa gang).

The settings are all available in the booklet available from the helpdesk (it's just a matter of changing the computer name to your ID number, the workgroup to plassey or kilmurray (or dromroe I expect) and adding student-proxy.ul.ie as the web proxy) but these settings are useless without an assigned IP address. If he's using an NT-based OS (WinNT, 2000 or XP) it's all pretty transparent after that.

The main locations for connecting up a laptop are the section in the library on the ground floor, a small number of desks in the library (they all have a sticker letting you know), EGO-10, all the CSIS labs and probably one or two desks in all the other labs (or you could just disconnect a cable in the labs and connect it up to your machine). There aren't half enough of them to be honest, particularly late in term when the library fills up.

There's no wi-fi network on campus yet. CSIS are talking about introducing one (just for CSIS students) but nothing seems to have been done about it yet.

Advertisement