Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL cap measuring & enforcement

• 30-10-2003 9:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Anyone know how I can measure how much I have downloaded through IOL ADSL? How strict do they enforce the cap? I don't want to go over it and end up paying 3c a minute!

I'm using a Zyxel Prestige 630 ADSL USB modem, supplied by BT (Esat). It seems to slow down my computer a lot. Is this normal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

you could ask in the broadband section . im sure somone in there would know the ans to all ur questions as for the modem do u have the latest drivers ? and how long did it take them to install from the time they got the forums

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

www.dumeter.com buy that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭kmurph

http://broadband.iol.ie/cgi-bin/sec/dsl

You'll need your IOLBB username and password to login.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Your best bet would be to get an ADSL "router" with ethernet ports. That way, you can connect multiple computers as well if you wish, and it will not slow down your computer.

Regards the cap on IOL, it is 8 GB and they do not enforce it, except in "extreme" cases (whatever that means).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Better off here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭manic_monster

Customer Care this morning told me they do enforce it and charge you for every mb over the 8gb limit.

I am still trying to ascertain whether that is scare tactics or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

If you go over the 8 gig you get cut off until the 1st of the next calendar month

Trust me on this !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 silent_bob

But would you go over the 8GB??

Ive had mine nearly 2 weeks an am not even at a GB yet...and i Use alot!!

Dont think i could hit the 8Gb....which is fine by me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 cecil

Originally posted by t|nt|n
    If you go over the 8 gig you get cut off until the 1st of the next calendar month
    This is clearly rubbish.

Taken from Iol Broadband website
    If you go over this limit then we reserve the right to charge you for any additional data (at 3cent inc VAT per MB)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

t|nt|n where did u get the cut off thing from!! lol! They just charge u for going over and from what i've heard the don't seem to enforce it much. I would reckon "extreme cases" r those people that d/l 25\30GBs+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭^pt^

8gb? I guess you're talking about the ADSL instead of RADSL or something?
    Is there going to be a data transfer limit?
    You will be entitled to free transfer of up to 5 Gigabytes of data in any given month.
    Unless the FAQ at http://broadband.iol.ie is wrong? I have one day to download 3gb if so :D

Not that I would degrade the service for other users or anything *cough* *cough*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

OMG he's right they have changed it back to 5gb, time for a new thread me thinks. The bastards they can't do that.

Edit:- Info is incorrect the site has been updated back to 8gigs weird but it was at 5gigs there for a while, nearly had a bleedin coronary. PHHHEEEUUUUUWWWWW. So PT you do have 3 gigs to download better get busy.

Edit:- PT that link you have to the FAQ is an old link try this one http://www.iol.ie/broadband/faq.htm

I still see 5gb? What's the address of the site you're looking at?

I go to http://broadband.iol.ie and get redirected to http://register.iol.ie/broadband/faq.htm where it still says 5gb

EDIT: Ohhh... I went to http://home.iol.ie and followed their broadband link there, it leads me to http://www.iol.ie/broadband/faq.htm
    Is there going to be a data transfer limit?
    From the 1st October you will be entitled to free transfer of up to 8 Gigabytes of data in any given month.
    I'd better get started eh? ;)

Thanks Davey Devil!

here's the updated link http://www.iol.ie/broadband/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Ive had mine nearly 2 weeks an am not even at a GB yet...and i Use alot!!

Had ADSL 2 months. Got DUMETER the other day as i was curious how much i was doing. (id be considered a very heavy user ;) )

In just over 2 days i have done close to 4gb :p This will probably slow eventually but i wouldnt say by that much. It is very easy to use up if you have a cap. Will be interestin what kinda level ill reach by the end of the month :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

so no one here has yet passed the 8gb mark ?anyone wana test it ?

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    DUMETER
    Do you have it set to only monitor one network interface? I think the default is to measure them all, so it measures from you to the modem and from the modem to the isp... You end up with double the speeds registered and double the data.

If not, 4gb in two days is like 12 hours/day at max speed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Well i haven't touched it but theres a download and upload (which im guessin ur talking about ;) ). Together its a bit more.

It's in use about 17hrs a day tho a few of that is gaming. Just throttlr it while i play tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

You will be cut off as I previously said

I have seen 3 examples of it

I wouldn't have said it if I didn't know what I was talking about !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Why would they cut you off? These arent war-time rations dude!
    They can make their 3cents extra from "serial offenders":D but cutting people off? They'd be losing customers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 RFHost

Apologies for bringing back an old thread but does anyone have any more info on this? It's worrying if IOL actually cut people off if they go over the cap. I am trying to decide what provider to go with. I know that eircom currently do not charge for exceeding the cap. What about IOL?

As far as I know Eircom were mot charging people for going over the cap because they couldn't get their usage meter working. People were getting all kinds of crazy figures theirfore they couldn't not charge people. I think they have it working now so I'm sure they will start charging people. Think about it logically. Esat, Eircom and UTV are all businesses. Do you think that if they have the grounds to make some extra money they are going to turn it down??? I don't think so. Anyone who says IOL will cut you off for going over the cap is talking complete crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭napalm@night

Well ive gone over my cap every month since i got iolbb and have not bn cut off once...somebodys talking through there hat....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by napalm@night
    somebodys talking through there hat....
    Hey, it's Boards - it won't be the first time! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭manic_monster

napalm@night - by how much have you gone over. Have they charged you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭innisfree

Can I ask.....

Is the cap purely download, or is combined upload and download?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by innisfree
    Can I ask.....

Is the cap purely download, or is combined upload and download?

IOL's cap is upload and download. UTV's is purely download. AFAIK IOL's stance on ppl who persistantly exceed the cap is to recommend they upgrade to business dsl, or they'll cut them off.

Advertisement