Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[ Mod News ] Desert Combat .5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

Personally just lan play is all i get for the moment the 2nd 1 meg line is goin in to me home soon so i might hop on then if we can manage to get some thing organised

Personally i think of my self as a young Jan-Michael Vincent
    Only with out the bad hair

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

/me listens to the Air Wolf theme tune.

Last time I had a LAN in a gaff, (only 12 PCs), we were playing DC and all of us humming the airwolf theme tune, was funny. Must do that again at darkside... nice -n- loud. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

Originally posted by Lucutus
    /me listens to the Air Wolf theme tune.

Last time I had a LAN in a gaff, (only 12 PCs), we were playing DC and all of us humming the airwolf theme tune, was funny. Must do that again at darkside... nice -n- loud. :D

Np Ernest I'll be hummin away with ya as long as u can get in the cockpit with me and i'll show u a few tricks of the trade

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Ok, now I'm scared!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Falgorn
    any particular server you guys all play on, or do you just join whatever looks good at the time?

adslguide.org.uk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

so there isnt going to be an update patch? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by tuxx
    so there isnt going to be an update patch? :(

Nope. The DC team decided it would be best to release this as a fresh install insted of another update. Also if there was to be an update it would have been about 200mb or more anyway.

Its better not to keep getting updates for every patch. This will start off all DC players nice and fresh :) .. now to add some more mirrors

wow, really like the new harrier's. They used to be impossible to fly with the vibration effect, now its nice and smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Ok guys whoever has a disk ready to go with this on it can you get in contact by IM and ill give you my postal address

Cheers

Shin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭BenH

Just so happens I've got 2 disks ready to go for the 56K crowd. I was intending to send them to a mate who runs an internet cafe in ennis for distribution. But it can go elsewhere first.

Do you want anything else adding? The 1.5 patch prehaps?

Best,

Ben

actually yeah if you wouldnt mind if you have the full 1.5 patch you could stick it on there i only have the incremental one at the mo

PM on the way

Shin

one thing I don't like is that they have taken away the fighter choppers from some of the maps, and replaced them with people carrier choppers. The sound of the new choppers are really nice although, very realistic when viewing from F12 view ;)
    Basra nights is so much fun to play on but the new gesture voices are badly done IMO. 'Go Go Go, lets move it' now sounds like inspector gadget.... 'go go go gadget' !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

The Mig29 seems a tad too powerful now. Otherwise, its a nice update. I particularly like the new m1a1 animation when its firing a shell, looks far more accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

I seriously like the A-10 gun sound, really cool spin up and down noises.

It's good to see a release which has fewer new features and lots of bug fixes and tweaks.

Anyone with the DC .5 on CD could they please send it this way :)
    Just post if you have it and ill PM you.

DC team are already hard at work on .6 too. Geez, you think they would give us a break for a few weeks and enjoy .5 before they start to tell us of .6.

I wonder whatever happened to the hovercrafts that they planned to introduce too. I remember screens of them for .3 then .4 but they must have removed them :(

This has gotten me thinking about this whole Desert Combat malarkey

Isnt Desert Combat supposed to be released as an expansion pack to Battlefield 1942 in the not to distant future, if so then .5 indicates there fairly far along in terms of Vehicles maps etc etc and of course working out the kinks in the code.

So why the hell dont they just finish the damn thing off and release it instead of every couple of weeks releasing updates and expect us to download (or ask for a CD)another 500 meg plus patch

Just my 2 cents

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

Because there's demand for it, I suppose. Most people who play it seem to be happy enough to download it.

It'd be better if they just stuck all of the files in something like a CVS repository, and people could just sync up the modified bits. But that'd be smart...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Falgorn

How do they make money to continually advance the mod? Dont tell me its a labour of love? Do the various hosting websites award DC on the amount of downloads they get? This would also be a reason for such numerous and large updates!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Mick L

I have .5 on CD if anyone wants it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Originally posted by Falgorn
    How do they make money to continually advance the mod? Dont tell me its a labour of love? Do the various hosting websites award DC on the amount of downloads they get? This would also be a reason for such numerous and large updates!

who would pay these awards? i think more than likely they do them for free [labour of love] they might make money, as all sites do, with a bit of advertising but thats it. if the mod is going to be included as an offical mod from now on they'll probably get a few squids from ea/dice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Well i don;t think they are all that close toi workiing out all the bugs. There are a few maps , like Guadalcanal, which simply crash when it loads on my machine using DC .5 and previous versions.

Also only a handful of the original maps are supported in TDM for multiplayer. I should hope that all the maps would be supported in all the MP modes before they attempt to release it as a full add on pack. In smaller games its much more rewarding to play TDM rather than conquest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

lol!

Gwan DC .5L!

brought my laptop up to Kudos' place during the week and me and him had a lil LAN of dc .5.

Tomahawk Missile on Midway
    &
    Missile defence on El Alamein

are teh WIN!

and the Iraqi "Go Go Go" command....funniest thing I've heard in the game to date!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Wow people bitching about a free mod!.
    Thats a first most people who make mods do it for love, its like a dream most people have of making a videogame but not alot of people get to do it.
    I run a website full of these people the younger ones do it as an attempt to get in the door (some of the DC team now work for Infinity Ward and another with Dice).
    The older ones realise they must still have their own lives and this is a hobby (yes people with hobbies can model stuff that good).

Kinda like playing football as a kid either you do it pro or you dont ,if you dont you play for fun.

Now shut up bitching and play the damn game :D

Btw DC makes a lot of money for EA and Frank Delise, its rumoured EA are treying to buy it but if Frank sells it he knows he has lsot half his players (kids are weird like that think CS and Valve) so im sure there will be a compromise like version 1.0 only being released on Cd but still free as a download sometime after.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Irish_Kamikaze

I tried downloading v5 (full) and it kept on saying i have to register before i could download it. I was wondering which one i should try that would give me the full version without registering?:ninja:

I dont have any of the other previous versions so i need to know about how long it would take?

THX in advance.:ninja: :ninja: :cool: :ninja: :ninja:

ugh, old thread.

Some of the mirrors require you to register before you download it. Many do not. If you sue the blueyonder link on the previous thread you should not have to register.

Can you give me a new link for the full version were i dont have to do any registering.

I just want the mod!!!!:( :(:(

:ninja: :ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

em,

i think winters just answered your question. just go to the first page of the dc.5 thread and click the blueyonder mirror.

hahaha but he said if you sue....! I thought he was joking so i didnt bother thx again m8:o :o:o :ninja: :o:o:o

:p

• Advertisement

When more pictures are released and possibly a video ill start a nice big thread on DesertCombat 0.6. Even though we are all only just getting used to 0.5 they have been slowly releasing mouth watering pictures of whats expected in DC 0.6. Such as the one in the link below:

DC 0.6 - Nimitz Aircraft Carrier
    DC 0.6 - MH-53A

Quite sexy isint it :) ... both will appear in the upcoming DC 0.6 map "DC Sea Rigs".

Advertisement