Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC's Big Read

Options
  • 30-10-2003 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭

The Big Read has been narrowed down to 21, a full list is available here

Which book would you choose and which ones do you think do not deserve to be on the list at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

my personal choice would be 1984 by george orwell. Excellent read and really gets the imagination going.

As for what should not be on the list... easy. Catcher in the Rye. Personal opinion as I hate that "book". Holden Caulfield is probably the most aggravating, annoying , whining, idiotic character I have ever come across.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Haven't read many of those... but I might go for "Wuthering Heights". "Lord of the Rings" lacks a certain something (not vision, but how well its written)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭aine

ya I've got to agree with you about Catcher in the Rye....it was one of the dullest books I've ever read...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I'd go for 1984 or catch 22

i'm a bit annoyed at harry potter being in it though....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Personally I'd vote for Captain Corelli's Mandolin. It's a very special book and he's one of my favourite authors.

I've read most of what's on the list out of the one's I'm ina position to judge I don't like 1984 in the first place and Animal Farm is a better book and Great Expectations is rubbish with some the worst characters I've ever read.

The rest are quality though I'd have His Dark Materials edging The Goblet of Fire in the "kiddies" section they seem to be making up but maybe thats because I read it more recently. The Goblet of Fire is the best of the Harry Potter books which is to say great.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by DapperGent
    I've read most of what's on the list out of the one's I'm ina position to judge I don't like 1984 in the first place and Animal Farm is a better book and Great Expectations is rubbish with some the worst characters I've ever read.

I can't say I agree with you on either account....I think that while 1984 can be a tad depressing, many of the issues covered in the book are quite relevant today! I am of course refering to the concept of Doublespeak, etc.

I studied Great Expectations for Leaving Cert, and I cannot say that the characters were rubbish! In fact I think Dickens...in general...creates some of fictions most memorable characters because they are so cleverly created...down to the last detail, you can picture them, relate to them...like or loathe them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

They do polls on "the book of the century" and "the big read" so often nowadays that I'd say nobody cares anymore. Plus, it's always the same books - as if all you had to read to be well-read was 100 famous books (or read a synopsis online) and then you could forget about all the other books written that are less well-known. Since when has literature been about making it to the top 100/50/whatever?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Started reading Catcher in the Rye just last week. Thought it was ok, but then I saw that add with Ruby Wax'ing lyircal' about it.

Stupid woman put me off my book :( I'll read it some other time maybe.

Originally posted by aine
    I studied Great Expectations for Leaving Cert, and I cannot say that the characters were rubbish! In fact I think Dickens...in general...creates some of fictions most memorable characters because they are so cleverly created...down to the last detail, you can picture them, relate to them...like or loathe them!
    Whatever about 1984 Dickens just annoys me, always has. Don't like his plotting abhor his characters.

But that's life's rich pagent I suppose! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by LoLth

As for what should not be on the list... easy. Catcher in the Rye. Personal opinion as I hate that "book". Holden Caulfield is probably the most aggravating, annoying , whining, idiotic character I have ever come across.

Funnily enough Ruby Waxs' favourite book!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Overrated - twould be Catch22, just never clicked for me.

My own choice would go to Pride and Predjudice, a gem

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

HHGTTG gets my vote, though I enjoyed LOTR, 1984 and Catch 22.

I read To Kill A Mocking Bird for the Junior Cert and it didn't really leave much of an impression on me. I'm sure it was magnificent at the time for what it said, but there wasn't anything remarkable about how it was said, in my opinion. And as the message is no longer as earth-shatteringly radical nowadays, the book didn't really do anything for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I think 1984 seems to be the stand-out book in that list.

But what the hell are "Captain Corelli's Mandolin" and "Gone with the Wind" doing on it?? That's what happens when the public votes, they remember the film adaptations.

"The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe" has to be the best teenage book on the list. I avidly read all seven books in the series when I was 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

Originally posted by simu
    Since when has literature been about making it to the top 100/50/whatever?

Fair point. The whole reason for it though is that people just love top 100s... of anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

ya I've got to agree with you about Catcher in the Rye....it was one of the dullest books I've ever read...

I liked it... then again, I haven't read it for about 12 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Originally posted by dudara
    But what the hell are "Captain Corelli's Mandolin" and "Gone with the Wind" doing on it?? That's what happens when the public votes, they remember the film adaptations.
    Haven't read Captain Corelli's Mandolin myself but I've always heard good things about the book. The film was meant to be average so it wouldn't be getting lots of votes cause of the film adaptation.

Lord of the Rings is obviously going to win this though I think it should just be ignored cause there are way too many fanboys voting for it. It's a good book and I enjoyed it when I read it years ago but when I can never finish it when I tried to read it again 2 years ago. The writing is just so dull!

Think I'll read 1984 later and see what the fuss is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Catcher in the Rye:
    People are of course entitled to their opinion but I really liked it and it was one of the first book to get me started reading as a past-time instead of just something for school. I had no expectations when I picked it so maybe that helped and I can see why people find it boring, there's no big epic story running through it. Watching Ruby Wax talk about it made me want to read it again actually...

Originally posted by dudara
    Captain Corelli's Mandolin is actually a wonderful book, very powerful, written with a touch of genius and worthy. They made a hames of the film by all accounts I never bothered with it as I heard they cut out all the stuff that made the book great.

I don't know about Gone with the Wind, I haven't read it though it was supposed to be a classic of american historical literature and was very widely read before the film was made. The popularity of the book was the reason the film was read in the first place. I'll reserve judgement on it until I read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Have read 17 of those, and to be honest there are others that I feel would be far more worthy than some of those I have read to be on the list. I do feel that His Dark Materials and Hitch Hikers Guide are well deserved of their places though and I feel that they should do well.

Originally posted by CodeMonkey
    Catcher in the Rye:
    People are of course entitled to their opinion but I really liked it and it was one of the first book to get me started reading as a past-time instead of just something for school. I had no expectations when I picked it so maybe that helped and I can see why people find it boring, there's no big epic story running through it. Watching Ruby Wax talk about it made me want to read it again actually...
    #

I think that was my main issue with catcher in the rye....I had such high expectations...it had always been put to me as the very best of american literature...well imho if thats as good as it gets(?!!) then there isn't much hope!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's an OK book, not great. Holden Caulfield is an irritating teenager, but then aren't all teenagers irritating. Thanks be to god I went straight from kid to reasonably;) mature adult.

My sister is in the midst of teenage angst at the moment, and I don't know how the hell my parents haven't killed her yet.

what about the high density of children's books on the list, I know his Dark Materials is a very adult kids book in that it delas with deeper issues ( I must say I haven't read this book but after seeing it on the program I must have a look!) but seriously...Little Women, Harry Potter, Winnie the Pooh, The Wind in the Willows...all children's books, dont get me wrong I do like these books but they are still kids books and do they really belong in such numbers on a best ever book list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Its all down to personal tastes and experiences really along with demographics. How many twenty something guys are going to have found meaningful insight from Bronte?

I've read about 15 of the books and I can see merits in some and not in others (and some I have found merit in, only recently).

Winnie the Pooh was really introduced to me by my little sister and in reading her stories I was surprised at how the book had a different level for me and also one for her. I was almost sad I'd not come across it as a child to see how it would have changed meaning in my life.

Lord of The Rings and The Hitchhiker's Guide were the books of every teenage boys life (and later) and apart from offering the obvious escapism, Hitchhiker's probably had alot to do with how my sense of humour developed. The crass sarcasm and irony in the face of a doomsday scenario (literally!) is something that probably stemmed my attitudes in work and bleak times.

Cathcer in the Rye I liked, I think it says alot about apathy and finding yorself, especially in those confusing times in life. It was dreary and mundane and confusing, but then so was Holdens life, and look how well it came across. You were reading about how a real person may have thought and felt. Just becasue someone is a character in a book, doesn't mean he has to be exciting, the question is (and I'd not expect everyone to answer yes) could you relate to it? Catch 22 is another classic, but I don't think it every really stood out as anything meaningful for me.

Of course these are just my opinions, conversely, while Harry Potters entry was enteraining, I thought it had the literary importance of an Irish Independant article. Wuthering Heights struck me as something so needlessly convoluted that I struggled to finish it (and indeed, wished half the characters dead throughout).

Personally, I'm torn between Hitchhikers and Pooh, a strange combination no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Personally I think Catcher in the Rye is a fantastic book. Well I did when I read it last.
    I have just started reading it again recently for the 5th or 6th time and I'm already falling back in love with it after only a couple of chapters.
    I have to admit that I was originally made to read it when I was in Transition Year and I hated it. I couldn't stand Holden Caulfield at all. He just annoyed the hell out of me! I must have still been an idealistic little teenager unable to relate to Holden's views on the world. The same must have been true on my second reading (again for school) because I felt as much disdain for him then as the first time!
    But then when I was a little older and a little wiser (probably in 5th year when faced with the Leaving Cert and life beyond school) I read it again. What a difference! Holden was great. I couldn't relate to everything the guy said or did but I could understand him much better.
    The key to enjoying this book may just lie in your ability to relate to Holden. I think every teenager should read this book at least once because I think there are very few of us who don't go through a phase of disillusionment, cynicism etc (I'm not sure if those words adequately describe Holden's sentiments but it's very late and I'm tired!). We're obviously not all going to end up like Holden but I think that at some stage in our lives we can all say "yeah, I know exactly what this guy's talking about".
    Anyways, enough rambling...
    Catcher in the Rye is my number one.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Fence

what about the high density of children's books on the list, <snip>...Little Women, Harry Potter, Winnie the Pooh, The Wind in the Willows...all children's books, dont get me wrong I do like these books but they are still kids books and do they really belong in such numbers on a best ever book list?

I think it is a poll to find the nation's best loved books, not the best books and thats why there are so many kids books. Books often have a huge impact on our lives as we grow up, and of course there is also the fact that many people don't read at all once they leave school, so ther fav books would be kid-types.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 crystalclear6

To kill a mockingbird - harper lee

unputdownable book imho

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

A nine year bump? Impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Should be a kind of statute of limitations on these things.
    longshanks wrote: »
    A nine year bump? Impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

The link the OP is giving isn't working anymore so here's the BBC Top 100 now.
    1. The Lord of the Rings, JRR Tolkien
    2. Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen
    3. His Dark Materials, Philip Pullman
    4. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams
    5. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, JK Rowling
    6. To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee
    7. Winnie the Pooh, AA Milne
    8. Nineteen Eighty-Four, George Orwell
    9. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, CS Lewis
    10. Jane Eyre, Charlotte Brontë
    11. Catch-22, Joseph Heller
    12. Wuthering Heights, Emily Brontë
    13. Birdsong, Sebastian Faulks
    14. Rebecca, Daphne du Maurier
    15. The Catcher in the Rye, JD Salinger
    16. The Wind in the Willows, Kenneth Grahame
    17. Great Expectations, Charles Dickens
    18. Little Women, Louisa May Alcott
    19. Captain Corelli's Mandolin, Louis de Bernieres
    20. War and Peace, Leo Tolstoy
    21. Gone with the Wind, Margaret Mitchell
    22. Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone, JK Rowling
    23. Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets, JK Rowling
    24. Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban, JK Rowling
    25. The Hobbit, JRR Tolkien
    26. Tess Of The D'Urbervilles, Thomas Hardy
    27. Middlemarch, George Eliot
    28. A Prayer For Owen Meany, John Irving
    29. The Grapes Of Wrath, John Steinbeck
    30. Alice's Adventures In Wonderland, Lewis Carroll
    31. The Story Of Tracy Beaker, Jacqueline Wilson
    32. One Hundred Years Of Solitude, Gabriel García Márquez
    33. The Pillars Of The Earth, Ken Follett
    34. David Copperfield, Charles Dickens
    35. Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Roald Dahl
    36. Treasure Island, Robert Louis Stevenson
    37. A Town Like Alice, Nevil Shute
    38. Persuasion, Jane Austen
    39. Dune, Frank Herbert
    40. Emma, Jane Austen
    41. Anne Of Green Gables, LM Montgomery
    42. Watership Down, Richard Adams
    43. The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
    44. The Count Of Monte Cristo, Alexandre Dumas
    45. Brideshead Revisited, Evelyn Waugh
    46. Animal Farm, George Orwell
    47. A Christmas Carol, Charles Dickens
    48. Far From The Madding Crowd, Thomas Hardy
    49. Goodnight Mister Tom, Michelle Magorian
    50. The Shell Seekers, Rosamunde Pilcher
    51. The Secret Garden, Frances Hodgson Burnett
    52. Of Mice And Men, John Steinbeck
    53. The Stand, Stephen King
    54. Anna Karenina, Leo Tolstoy
    55. A Suitable Boy, Vikram Seth
    56. The BFG, Roald Dahl
    57. Swallows And Amazons, Arthur Ransome
    58. Black Beauty, Anna Sewell
    59. Artemis Fowl, Eoin Colfer
    60. Crime And Punishment, Fyodor Dostoyevsky
    61. Noughts And Crosses, Malorie Blackman
    62. Memoirs Of A Geisha, Arthur Golden
    63. A Tale Of Two Cities, Charles Dickens
    64. The Thorn Birds, Colleen McCollough
    65. Mort, Terry Pratchett
    66. The Magic Faraway Tree, Enid Blyton
    67. The Magus, John Fowles
    68. Good Omens, Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman
    69. Guards! Guards!, Terry Pratchett
    70. Lord Of The Flies, William Golding
    71. Perfume, Patrick Süskind
    72. The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists, Robert Tressell
    73. Night Watch, Terry Pratchett
    74. Matilda, Roald Dahl
    75. Bridget Jones's Diary, Helen Fielding
    76. The Secret History, Donna Tartt
    77. The Woman In White, Wilkie Collins
    78. Ulysses, James Joyce
    79. Bleak House, Charles Dickens
    80. Double Act, Jacqueline Wilson
    81. The Twits, Roald Dahl
    82. I Capture The Castle, Dodie Smith
    83. Holes, Louis Sachar
    84. Gormenghast, Mervyn Peake
    85. The God Of Small Things, Arundhati Roy
    86. Vicky Angel, Jacqueline Wilson
    87. Brave New World, Aldous Huxley
    88. Cold Comfort Farm, Stella Gibbons
    89. Magician, Raymond E Feist
    90. On The Road, Jack Kerouac
    91. The Godfather, Mario Puzo
    92. The Clan Of The Cave Bear, Jean M Auel
    93. The Colour Of Magic, Terry Pratchett
    94. The Alchemist, Paulo Coelho
    95. Katherine, Anya Seton
    96. Kane And Abel, Jeffrey Archer
    97. Love In The Time Of Cholera, Gabriel García Márquez
    98. Girls In Love, Jacqueline Wilson
    99. The Princess Diaries, Meg Cabot
    100. Midnight's Children, Salman Rushdie

I recently read Catch 22 and thought it was boring!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

OakeyDokey wrote: »
    The link the OP is giving isn't working anymore so here's the BBC Top 100 now.

I recently read Catch 22 and thought it was boring!

Salman Rushdie must be delighted to find himself four places below Jeffrey Archer :D

Advertisement