Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC's Big Read

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

OakeyDokey wrote: »
    The link the OP is giving isn't working anymore so here's the BBC Top 100 now.

I recently read Catch 22 and thought it was boring!

The thing I find about Catch-22, if I can roll out an old cliche here, is the humour is quite marmite-ish. In other words you'll either giggle from literally the first sentence, like I did, or you'll very likely find the entire book a waste of time.

It has an unusual style of humour which, if its not for you, would make the whole text unreadable and probably incomprehensible to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

I've read 22 of those books and I have another 29 of them that I've brought but haven't had a chance to read yet.

The books by Jacqueline Wilson and Meg Cabot defintely should not be on that list because those novels are basically teenage chick-lit, ie: trash.

I've read Catcher in the Rye but I didn't like it one bit. Reading about an over-privileged teenager whining on about his life is not my idea of an enjoyable novel but to each their own.

I think East of Eden is one novel that should definitely be added to it. That is Steinbeck best novel. Since the Grapes of Wrath and Of Mice and Men made the list, this one should have too.

Advertisement