Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exchange 2000 server question

Options
  • 30-10-2003 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone have any idea how to disable the bad message queue in Exchange server 2000?

or at least stop the 1000s of spams every minute from going into it? Client's server was listed as an open relay and the volume of mail passing through is crippling the server. (as well as the sheer volume of NDRs).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

update your definitions and check for virus's. Exchange 2000 by default is not an open relay. I had a server in town that was found to be an open relay, I was contacted by Eircom to disable the relay or the clients domain would be ignored and blocked (added to black list)

I found a virus on the server, once I killed it, the server was not acting as a relay anymore...

also, you may want to download 'spybot search and destroy', update it and do a scan

Also, you may want to change the administrator password.. as you can onlly open an ex2k relay if you provide a valid username & password

oh yes, I almost forgot

img10279963718372.jpg

in this pop up window within exchange, add your local IP subnet to be allowed to relay. This one here is quite important

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

thanks,

the open relay problem has been solved, it's the backlog of mail that has built up that is still causing trouble. As it goes to the bad message queue it sends an NDR to the postmaster, which further increases the traffic level.

What I want to do is disable the bad message queue for a few days and let undeliverables just disappear without the NDR or any clearing down of queues by the postmaster.

Had trouble with an open relay before, eircom cut it off without notice and when we checked htey said it was reporting as an open realy and we could apply for re-test once we sorted it out, solved it and got it enabled by eircom. Next day it went open again. Spybot sorted it out for us though (and the company gave a healthy donation to the author!).

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

All isp's will blacklist an ip if it is open relay or sending vast amounts of mail with large failure rates through their servers. Open relay is specifically in breach of the AUP so isps are well within their rights to block before contacting you.

yeah that spybot program is excellent. Each time I run it, I'm amazed how much crap it picks up on a healty looking machine!

• Advertisement
Advertisement