Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird Dreams

Options
  • 30-10-2003 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

I keep having dreams about death and illness. It usually me who dies or somebody close to me is about to die. Its really upsetting at times and can leave me quite depressed the following day (although last night I woke myself up laughing, about what is a mystery). One night I woke up running out of my bedroom because I heard my sister calling me in my dream. I haven't slept-walked since I was a kid. Another night I actually died in my dream and could feel myself lifting up out of my body. It didn't feel like any other time I've projected.

Dreams about death are usually contradictory and signify a new start in life but I fail to see where this new start is. There has been death and illness around my sisters over the last few weeks but not near me. My heads wrecked, any ideas? Considering how vivid these dreams are it must be something pretty important.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

The symbolism of dreams is a lot more personal than the people who sell "dream dictionaries" would have you believe. However dreams about illness or about losing someone (as opposed to about death per se) are often about having poor priorities, so it might be worth considering that possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Yes these dreams can be disturbing but you have to have a good look about to wht maybe causing them.

it is rare that dreams are literal and often death can be not death but change, but as the 31st gets closer it is Shamien/all souls/day of the dead dreaming of the dead and dying is not that strange.

Just Glad I am not having the buried alive one this year myself

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Before I begin I should emphasise that this response has nothing to do with paganism but hopefully you might find it helpful.

I've just finished reading the main text* of "The Meaning of Your Dreams: An Interactive Guide" by David F. Melbourne and Keith Hearne. Whilst I wouldn't say the book is scientifically sound it does discuss some interesting ways of looking at dreams.

The importance of puns, hononyms, synonyms and the like are discussed. There's no one way to interpret any event or occurence in a dream. You should be able to pick up the book for next to nothing and you might find it helpful as at least a starting point in thinking about things.

To be honest though you might be approaching things from the wrong end. More than likely the imagery is recurring because of something in your waking life. You might be better off analysing that in my humble and totally unprofessional opinion.

*the remainder of the book is case studies

Advertisement