Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Economic Forum Not Impressed With Ireland

Options
  • 30-10-2003 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

We were 24th Last Year because our Telecoms infrastructure is crap. If it wasn't crap we would have made it into the top 20. This year we are 30th, the telecoms infrastructure having dragged us down even further. The full rankings will be linked Here by this evening.

I think that Overall we edged out out Peru, whew!

M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

Good info!

I'm very surprised at that result for Ireland.

:eek: Oops, my sarcasm detector just exploded!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Floater

Ireland 30

Iceland 8

Floater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Originally posted by Floater
    Ireland 30

Iceland 8

Take that, Iceland. We win Eurovision again! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Muck
    because our Telecoms infrastructure is crap. If it wasn't crap we would have made it into the top 20.

erm, what exactly does that mean? The general state of the copper lines in Ireland is old and waisting away? The amount of Fibre that has been layed over the last 3 years is still miniscule compared to other world countries? No competition?

I think that Overall we edged out out Peru, whew!

Not quite. But Botswana is awfully close at 36.

We were beaten by Malta (rank 19) Estonia (rank 22) Portugal (rank 25) Chile (28) and Malaysia (29).

For those with short memories Ireland ranked 4 in 2000.

Floater

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

In the Technology Index we are 38th Now and Plummeting , it was 28th last year. The only comment on our performance in the Executive Summary is that we (along with France) fell in competitivenexss owing to "Widespread Declines" , the biggest single decline in the index has been in number of Mary Harney and Mary Hanafin speeches about e-happenings and e-vents , I expect more of these wimmin! Pump up the volume.

According to the WEF we have been officially passed out by such Hi Tech luminaries as.

Latvia
    Lithuania
    Slovakia
    Greece (FFS Greece !)

Estonia , the subject of much discussion (in this forum this time last year) are in 10th Position .....respect to Estonia for we are not worthy! The good news is that we are still a nose ahead of the following countries this year (they rank in the 40s), I expect them all to pass us out by the time the next index is published.

Argentina
    Mauritius
    Mexico
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Jordan

M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

/*
    Estonia , the subject of much discussion (in this forum this time last year) are in 10th Position .....respect to Estonia for we are not worthy! The good news is that we are still a nose ahead of the following countries this year (they rank in the 40s), I expect them all to pass us out by the time the next index is published.

Argentina
    */

ffs Argentina are creeping up...ok rugby and now this.
    Werent they supposed to be broke and their economy
    in ruins? No investment available for infrastructure projects
    etc etc.

Have I confused them with eircom They singlehandedly manged to break the country and turn its infrasturucture into ruins...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

The good news is that we are still a nose ahead of the following countries this year (they rank in the 40s), I expect them all to pass us out by the time the next index is published.

Argentina
    Mauritius
    Mexico
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Jordan

Well...

1. All due respect to the third world countries out there. Good to know you are all catching up with the "developed" world.

2. Does this mean we can apply for aid from Amensty International? Help us Bono!

Gotta find the bright side ...

The most damning and relevant number from this report:

Quality of competition between Irish ISPs

(out of 102 countries)

Floater

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Originally posted by Floater
    The most damning and relevant number from this report:

Quality of competition between Irish ISPs

(out of 102 countries)

Etain Doyle should be so proud. I'm really going to miss her.

• Advertisement
Advertisement