Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you be interested in a PBEM on boards?

• 30-10-2003 2:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭

Ok so here's the deal some of you if not all of you have seen the Play by Email game running on boards atm.

im going to try and set another one off once that one finished and who knows we could even get two or three games running at the same time. (i'd need help of course but one thing at a time)

first things first a simple poll would be interested in playing a text based RPG adventure on boards.ie?

if so post some suggestions what you'd like to play,
    doesnt even have to be a current RPG game that you know
    pick your favourite movie/PC game or an RPG game that you like
    im sure i can run it.

i just want to see if there is anyone interested.

Would you be interested playing a text based RPG game on boards? 13 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 13 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

I'd definitely be interested although I've never played a PBEM before. Favourite genres would probably be Tolkien style fantasy and cyberpunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Count me in,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Specky

Well you can, of course, place my name on your list of hopeful contenders and participants using your favourite fountain pen or quill-like feather.

As to the game.....hmmm...I have thought long and hard on this one and will probably think some more before I can make a thoroughly reasoned decision.

SLA PBEM has been fun. My character, Zmek, is developing nicely and there's a lot more I think I'd like to do with him although the opportunities may exist in the F2F SLA game Al][en is running in the real world.

I am, however, since Gaelcon, experiencing some restless nights with the constant churning anxiety of one for whom the game of SLA brings with it certain issues that are as yet unresolved. These anxieties do not currently effect the PBEM format and so I can envisage continuing with the game for the time being on boards to see where it may lead.

The issues I have with SLA are numerous. I may return to them later in another post...but probably not today.

The PBEM format offers some very interesting character development opportunities that I've found very enjoyable so far. This would be the case in any genre so I'd be quite happy to go with the flow on this....as long as we don't end up playing a D&D derivative as it gives me a rash in an embarrasing place.

I'd be happy to help out with the running of games too if there ends up being more than the token few people. Once again, you pick the genre and I will happily describe it in gore-filled, blood spattered detail!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

thats what im aiming for specky, i dont want a hack and slash game on boards if people want that they can go and by dungeon seige!

what im aiming for is a text based RPG with a blend of action/adventure (im trying it out on the SLA game) if we get enough people interested we can run 2 seperate games of what ever people want and id be glad with the help specky

who knows a Call of Cathulu game and i could run either SLA again (which is a fantasy type cyberpunk game) or something else hopefully we'll get the numbers first we can decide on games at a later date

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

well we will see how many games get started and if you are really unlucky i may start one .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I would certainly be interested though i have only ever played baldurs gate and diablo type rpg's before, it shouldn't be THAT much of a problem.... I hope

My one suggestion would be some kind of a game with dual-wielding, Because dual wielding in all its forms is just SO amazingly cool!!!!

i dont think it should be a problem jaffer, depends on number of players but once i get a list of deffinate yes's i'll be PM'ing you to see if your still on for it once we get a total number of players we can decide what types of games to play

there are 3 GM's atm that said they would like to GM

Me
    thead
    specky

so thats 3 types of games we can play
    if we get loads of numbers i'll PM thead and specky myself and we can arrange something for the general populace of boards we wont be able to satisfy everyone (hur hur) but once i get a clearer number of players interested then we'll see what we can do about types of games.

AL][EN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

You can count me in again. Ive had fun with the SLA game but would be willing to play almost anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

On a side note, I'm using your topuic to save trees.
    Would people be interested in a MUD ?

No worries Rev
    I used to love MUD's there cooly but unfortunatly my firewall in work blocks all outbound traffic for things like that so i cant play MUD's
    :( when i get to dublin and have internet access at home id deffinatly be interested in MUD's

People should check out the MUD's as there more fast paced games rather than the Play by Email (PBEM) games both are smashing good fun i'll get back to you Rev once im in dublin with an internet connection from home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭tank

definatly im really enjoying the SLA game at the moment id like to try a horror game next that would be fun

whats a MUD???

I've actually been toying with the idea of a Cthulhu style MUD for a qhile now.

How much interest would there be in such a venture?

id like to try a horror game next that would be fun

Specky's left eyebrow moves almost imperceptably and his constantly drumming fingers cease with a quiver.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by tank

whats a MUD???

Multi-User Dungeon. Basically a MMORPG only text format. Should be a link to 100's of them in one of the stickies above.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Commissar

I would love to play, or even just to continue playing, an rpg on Boards. And like other people have been saying the characterisation that's been coming out is excellent, I think. I have actually developed mental images of the characters independant of the people who play them. It really is great.

I've never played a MUD....I wonder would the firewall here in college block it..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Big Ears

i would not like to take any part in this rpg because i would find it boring.

i would not like to take any part in this rpg because i would find it boring

Ahhhh...so that's what the 'no' box on the poll is for.....

Originally posted by Specky
    Ahhhh...so that's what the 'no' box on the poll is for.....

Damn i was hoping no one would see that! ;)

seriously tho the reason the yes/no boxes are there is well i'd like to get a rough idea on how many people would be interested in gaming on boards AND now that your names are down in this thread i can PM everyone once i have a total number of players

i can have a chat with thaed and yourself about DM's and types of games to play once we have a total number of players

Originally posted by Big Ears
    i would not like to take any part in this rpg because i would find it boring.

If you find rpg's boring why are you in the roleplaying forum?

get the ole post count up id guess!!

• Advertisement

If you find rpg's boring why are you in the roleplaying forum?

He's here to create a little balance...he's currently sitting on one end of the see-saw and all the rest of us are just about to jump on the other end.....

Ah, the human catapult, perhaps mans greatest invention :p

I hope he remembered his stragecally placed bail of hay!

ah pity the poor guy/gal/vaugely humaniod , they either never found people of the correct San leve to play with of thier imagiation was stunted at an early age :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'm interested.

I've played quite a few different systems, but I'm most familiar with D&D and GURPS...

Sorry to drag this up again, but is happening with this PBEM?

curently there is play by boards running insted of a play by email.

see the thread started in reguard to looking for new players it is SLA / world of progress.

game turns are posted by all those playing.
    there is a coms thread,
    turn thread
    out of charcther thread.

Apologies for not updating this thread.

Currently we only have 1 play by boards game going. as thaed says its actually a play by boards.ie (as in you post the game and turns on boards instead of Email) Games that we play here. Currently we only have the one game going but im planning for that to change.

As is the madness of my life i sort of left this on the back burner for a while i'll be PM'ing everyone soon that has answered yes to the above poll (i know who you are) if the numbers are still there then i'll be asking (neigh) begging members of this esteemed community to take up the role of DM and help me out. if we have the numbers and DM's we can talk about games and such then

again sorry for letting this thread die out but you'll be getting a PM from me pretty soon jaffer ok, i'll update this thread with confirmed number of players and DM's when i have the numbers

meanwhile jaffer if your interested you can join the SLA game if you cant wait (trying to pimp off the game i am :D )

PM sent to everyone thats interested

keep an eye on this thread over the coming days (weeks) as i'll update with info as i get it,

Have contacted most of everyone am only waiting for Jaffer and marvel to get back to me then we can begin

• Advertisement

erm, i emailed you back as soon as i got your PM, what else was i supposed to do!

Advertisement