Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For all you wannabe Ice Skaters out there

• 30-10-2003 2:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭

There will be ice rink at Fota this Christmas from November through to January, check out details on http://WWW.FOTAONICE.COM/

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

<dahamsta enquires about private hire>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Yeah, think I'm booked in for a session. Also booking for Smilthfield the day before the boards beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Ice skating rocks daveirl, the problem is whether the rink'll be any good or not. I went twice, once on an Olympic rink in Germany and once in Dublin. Dublin was small, crowded and more like a puddle than a rink, but Germany was adfab. I wasn't too bad at it either, all things considering. :)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I noticed that. Best of luck to them if they're cheaper than Ticketmaster. Ticketmaster is evil.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Yeah, I noticed that. Best of luck to them if they're cheaper than Ticketmaster. Ticketmaster is evil.

adam

"Cheaper" and that ticketlord site don't have much in common. Take a look at the prices for a family of 4 going. And throw in a few extra adults and children. It is really expensive for a few hours out. Ok for sinle adults, but otherwise expensive.

This €2 per ticket "credit card administration charge" is growing legs. Originally it was a per booking basis. Now its per ticket. Noticed the same thing elsewhere recently. A nasty little earner.

The ticket prices are defined by the company running the rink and Fota, not the ticket site. It's "administration fees" that are important when it comes to TicketLord.

I've enquired about group bookings, they say that 30 people are needed. I'll post more here when I get more details. (I'd certainly prefer a session with friends and family.)

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

That TicketLord thing is a bit funny alright. I think people are hung up on the whole ticketmaster issue though, I'm amazed that I might actually defend ticketmaster but i think they are being used as a scapegoat in a way for the massive increase in prices for concerts etc. Afterall they only slap on the hefty booking fee but aren't responsible for the main ticket price.

If the Fota on ice website is anything to go by this rink sounds cool, i can't wait to start pirouetting out of control and daveirl ice skating is very manly just don't forget your tight leotard:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Yeah ice-skating is pretty deadly! I've been a good few times. Years ago we used to go to dublin as a family at christmas for a few days and we'd always go ice skating in Dolphins Barn. i went on one when i was in france and the US too. Its some laugh, but as has been said €12 for an hr is fairly pricy.

• Advertisement

Price is €14.50 with the booking fee.

Went last night, its a good laugh and worth going to. Disadvantages though are they really pack the number of people in and as the people start warming up and straying from the barriers around the sides the place gets quite jammed and doesn't leave a lot of room to skate freely.

Another disadvantage is the parking area is a field which they charge you €2 euro to park in, so expect to have your shoes get very muddy and your car. However if you drive right around the car park as if you are going back out theres a tarred car park that people forget about, so use that.

The later in the evening the worse the condition of the rink and it gets very choppy. Last night one section was like glass and everybody was falling and other sections were like wading through snow. Go early if you can or where only a few sessions have occured that day.

The one big advantage of last session of the night is that theres a big mound of ice around the back from them shaving the ice all day, so we had a massive snowball fight last night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

would you think i need to book it in advance now since most people are back to school or can i take a chance and just turn up

anybody else been there since!!??

I'd say just turn up. Ring actually, just in case they closed early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

/OT cool sig

I'm gonna have another go on Saturday morning. 9.30, bright and early! :)

adam

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

just want to make sure that its not booked out or anything

if it is ill come looking for ya!!;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement