Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal fees for a renting

Options
  • 30-10-2003 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭

Has anyone heard of or had to pay the legal fees of a lease been drawn up before?
    What I mean is, a friend of mine is about to sign the lease on a new appartment to rent and she is being charged an extra 100 Euro for the solicitors fee of the lease.
    I have personally never heard of this before, nor have I ever had to pay anymore that the deposit and a months rent in advance!

So has anyone else heard of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Stamp duty is payable on larger rentals - I suspect this is what your friend is being hit for. TBH I don't remember what the threshold is.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You should not have to pay solicitors fees for a residential tenancy - they invariably use standard forms available for about a fiver, all that needs to be done is for the particulars to be filled in. In fact a rent book from threshold is legally sufficient.

This is simply the landlord getting extra money out of your friend. Did the advertisement include the €100 fee? Make sure there is a receipt for this fee.

I understand Stamp Duty is payable at the appropriate rate on rentals of over €15,236 (£12,000) per year and is payable to the Stamping Branch in the Revenue Commissioners, Dublin Castle.

Advertisement