Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Try beat this.... uptime

Options
  • 30-10-2003 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭

I'm proud of this one:

uptime.jpg

I'm trying to get the one year mark with this one. I've wanted to restart a few times to sort out some problems but ....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

In windows, thats some achievement!
    I have a linux box running RedHat 5.1 thats up for 4.5 years without any problems......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

there I beat it

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

lol nice one there alany

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I got 180 days on an NT4 file & print server & it was running Exchange 5.5...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

lol nice one there alany

thanks, I do try

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by padraigmyers
    I have a linux box running RedHat 5.1 thats up for 4.5 years without any problems......

r u serious, 4.5 years... no restart? bloody hell

The sytem I took a screeny of is a file and print win2k server (domain controller). Doesnt have exchange on it although, thats probably why its been able to stay up for so long

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

I use the Linux box as a mail, dns, file, print, and intranet server, any new software or
    reconfigs can be installed without a restart, and its being used by 20 people as their primary
    server. I'm a big fan of Linux, it take a while to get used of it but once you do its much faster
    to do anything and you have so much more power over what you are doing. Much more
    transparent too, you don't get the kind of problems like you do when windows starts trying
    do the thinking for you.

if you could recommend a free linux version for a file, print and mail server, what version would you point to? I've not that much experance with linux, only really installed the thing, messed around for a few hours then wiped the disk and installed windows :p

there's so many damn versions, I dunno what one to download

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

File, print and Primary domain controller can all be done perfectly well by Samba. I got a standard Samba install converted to a PDC in about 3 minutes last night.

The mail setup is a little more complex... Debian uses Exim as standard which is pretty easy to set up thanks to the nice eximconfig script.

For mail delivery, I use maildrop which passes things through spamassassin on the way through. This works fairly nicely, and leaves things in the maildir format.

For people to retrieve their mail, I'd say Dovecot is rapidly becoming the best imap+pop program out there. It supports IMAP, IMAPS, POP and POPS and is fast and secure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 lowlands

Talking about uptime ....

novellserver1.jpg

The story: return of the lost server :)

6 YEARS :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

think of how many windows patches that windows box needs ando, dont you have to reboot after you install each one?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by padraigmyers
    Wot, no kernel updates?

adam

Advertisement