Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iMac G3 memory?

• 30-10-2003 4:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

right. i know this would be for the mac forum, but no one in there knows. any ideas if normal 144 pin so-dimms work with a imac g3? it takes 144 pin so-dimms, so im guessing it does, but dont want to spend money till im sure. komplett have 2 types. twinmos PC133 for about 25 eur for 128mb, and then theres crucial stuff, which crucial say will work with a mac, or at least they sell stuff for a mac on their site, and its 2x the price @ about 55 euro for 128mb. i would like at least 512mb for the system. this is because i want OSX! thats the reason i got a mac. anyone know? thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Post in the spec that Crucial said will work, eg PC100 SDRAM CAS 2 or whatever (it is to the right of the price) , use http://www.crucial.com/uk

Crucial will also tell you the maximum size per slot.

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

crucial say 256MB SDRAM, PC100 • CL=2 • Non-parity • for the 256 and 128MB SDRAM, 66MHz • CL=2 • Non-parity • for both the 128mb and 64mb. the stuff on komplett from twinmos runs @ 133Mhz. the twinmos website says its both CL2 and 3.

PC133 CL2 No Parity will do the trick, it would be cheaper than 100 or 66 too.

144 pin SODIMM is laptop memory while 168 pin DIMM is normal for Imacs ISTR .

M

yea, this one takes the 144 pin laptop memory. thanks for the info. are you sure about this though. komplett say that if i but it and then open it, and it doesent work, i send it back and get 70% money back. its not a lot, but its more then nothing.

can you link the crucial and komplett specimens, much easier to compare them then .

M

• Advertisement

right. the crucial page is here and the twinmos page is here

Crucial also have this PC133 SODIMM which appears fine to me , linked Here .

Its described as

SDRAM, PC133 • CL=2 • Non-parity • 7.5ns • 3.3V • 32Meg x 64

The 256Mb PC100 recommended for the G3 is described as

SDRAM, PC100 • CL=2 • Non-parity • 8ns • 3.3V • 32Meg x 64

The only difference is that the PC133 CAN be accessed faster and is capable of a higher clock but the PC133 IS backward compatible so I would go with it.

The PC133 is £61 while the PC100 is £75 , thats a sizeable drop, no wonder Crucial neglected to recommend it to you :D

The Twinmos appears to be the same, but the important specs are listed against the modules above , some manufacturers or shops call CL2 CAS2 instead, they are the same thing so don't get thrown by that. Non Parity is often NP instead.

Check Shop4Memory Too.

HTH

M

hmmmm. i emailed a place in dublin called the bondigroup (www.bondigroup.ie) and they have 256mb so-dimms for the imac for eur 75 ex vat. i think ill have to mull over all the info i have gotten so far and figure out which one to go for. thanks for the info muck.

Advertisement