Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beyond the Green Door [review]

• 30-10-2003 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Brendan Mentons book about his time in the FAI is released soon and should make compulsory reading to all Irish Football fans (EL and national team). It details his time in office in various positions and incredible stupidity and sheer incompetence he came accross.

His 1st day alone as Acting General Secretary is enough to make any man cry to see what levels of muppetness the FAI and the Old Boys Brigade go to. There are some truly shocking moments and some hilarious (not intentional) as a long time EL fan i found these funny yet it did not change my view on the FAI in any way ,i always knew they were complete idiots and this has a factual base to and proves more than i ever could.

I was never a big fan of Menton when he was in office although he comes from EL background i expected more from him in terms of developing and promoting the game, now i know he did try but was never really allowed to do anything other than make money fo the national teams back.

Also there is one paragraph on the Marney affair and another on why it was excluded from the book, i would really have liked to read that but it is a book for the masses and the national team takes precedence. Other than that its a good book and doesnt have the petty take you would expect its well written and the research thats gone into it is excellent.
    As an EL fan im not surprised to read about senior FAI officials touting tickets and mislaying the money but for the PL fans and National team fans this may be shocking reading.

Also within the book is a paragraph about me :D if anyone can find it i give a prize :)

I give it 8 out of 10 ,mainly for its detailed research and the angle he takes from start to finish.
    Definitley a muct read for soccer fans.

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Originally posted by KdjaC

Also within the book is a paragraph about me :D if anyone can find it i give a prize :)

kdjac

That part about soccer yobs? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

No :D

But tis in same chapter :)

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by KdjaC
    C'mon tell us what it say's about you.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Haven't read it, but to judge by the reviews, it sounds like a pathetic attempt at score-settling. Also, the passages ready out by Pat Kenny on the Late Late the other week, along with Menton's general crass attitude, make it seem one of the most missable books on football in years.

Advertisement