Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castleknock and broadband

• 30-10-2003 4:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

and more specifically "College Grove", the road I live on.

Can someone tell me, is broadband available in the area or not. I've done the phone line test on the eircom website and got a fail - yet a neighbour across the road, is having broadband installed ???

What do I need to do to get the line to pass ?

I've gone as far as getting up on the roof trying to connect into the Castleknock wireless LAN, but my signal was so poor it didn't warrant putting up a permanent antenna.

I'd really appreciate any help on this, or am I stuck in 46.666Kbps for life ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

I duno about the broadband but, 46.6K is sweet speeds for dial-up, its preety wierd u cant get broadband, maybe you can try switching exchanges see if that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭pete

Originally posted by ondafly
    I've gone as far as getting up on the roof trying to connect into the Castleknock wireless LAN, but my signal was so poor it didn't warrant putting up a permanent antenna.

Try an Irish Broadband Line Of Sight test?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

I have castleknock college directly behind me, so any LOS sights in that direction are no good, due to the huuuuuge trees at my back wall, infact when I did get up on the roof, I did a complete scan 360' to see if I could pick up anything in the area, as already said I picked up D15_WAN, and briefly picked up my cousins omni in blanch, but both signals were so bad :( I'd prefer also to go for a broadband connection as opposed to WIFI.

How do I go about changing exchanges ? mail eircom, we've had the phoneline here a good 25 years, could it be its just ancient ?

I'm connecting at 49.2K tonight - still I'm tired of wanting to play broadband games et al

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

Originally posted by pete
    Try an Irish Broadband Line Of Sight test?
    Irish Broadband don't serve Castleknock unfortunately. You can check out their site here to see exactly where they do cover.

As for changing exchange, that really isn't an option. The best way to get your line to pass is to remove any devices that may be powered from the line (e.g. Fax machines with displays, caller id units, any kind of fancy phone etc) and then call up Eircom and get them to do a full line test (not just a check to their database).

You really need to kick up a lot of fuss before Eircom will do anything to help you, but if you persist things do happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭pete

Originally posted by Serbian
    Irish Broadband don't serve Castleknock unfortunately. You can check out their site here to see exactly where they do cover.

A good starting point would be http://www.irishbroadband.ie/htmdocs/coverage_maps/areas_live.htm the Ballycoolin link, which shows coverage of Castleknock... :)

In fairness it shows coverage of my house too, but some git went and built a 'big white building' between my house and their transmitter.

dang.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

Cheers for the help folks !

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

Yes your doomed, you might as well forget broadband in D15! IBB as PETE says is a wonderful service that IBB set up to cover no one! White buildings, trees, in fact you name it, sure enough something will screw it up for you. But i have a plan, a wrecking ball, and Dutch elms disease!! As for Eircom..................

Advertisement