Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership LIVE on RTE.....!

• 30-10-2003 7:46pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭

You read it here first folks, or I'll eat my hat.....

LIVE PREMIERSHIP SOCCER ON RTÉ FOR THE NEXT THREE YEARS

RTÉ and Setanta Sport today announced the successful
    conclusion of a deal with the FA Premier League, which
    will see live Premiership soccer on RTÉ for the next
    three seasons. After an absence of several years on
    terrestrial television, RTÉ viewers will be able to see
    approximately fifteen live Premiership matches each
    season, beginning in 2004/05. The live games will
    feature on Saturday afternoons, with a three o’clock
    kick-off.

Setanta Sport have also secured the rights to screen
    approximately fifteen live matches each season on pay-
    per-view. These matches will feature on the Saturday
    afternoons when RTÉ is not broadcasting a live game.

The deal also means that RTÉ’s highly successful The
    Premiership highlights programme, presented by Bill
    O’Herlihy, will continue in its current format for the
    next three seasons.

Niall Cogley, RTÉ Head of Sport, said, "We’re very
    pleased to be able to announce this deal which offers
    our viewers a real choice and consolidates the quality
    soccer programming already available on RTÉ. No other
    broadcaster in these islands will be providing live
    Premiership coverage on free to air television, and
    we’re delighted to be able to deliver at a time when
    top-level soccer has never been more popular. Along
    with our coverage of the Champions League, Scottish
    Premier League, international and domestic soccer, I
    think this makes RTÉ Television’s service for fans of
    the game second to none."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Great but damn setanta. Thats means tow sets of pay per view games this season. I wonder which will be the better value.

Christ you will be able to wtach football at so many times

Saturday
    Sky for early noon kick off (Maybe pay per view)
    RTE/Setanta 3pm kick off (Pay per view Setanta)
    SKY again evening kick off (Maybe pay per view)
    Premership/match of day for highlights

Sunday
    Goals on Sunday
    Super sunday game (Sky)

Monday
    Monday evening game(Sky)

Thats just including english soccer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

15 Matches a season live at 3 pm is good news, would have preferred a live match every week but its an improvement on what we have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I wonder if they get to pick the games or if its Skys cast-offs we get to see, I cant see too maay ppl
    getting the tinnies in to watch Wolves-Charlton (except for me of course!).

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

Originally posted by mike65
    I wonder if they get to pick the games or if its Skys cast-offs we get to see, I cant see too maay ppl
    getting the tinnies in to watch Wolves-Charlton (except for me of course!).

Mike.

Don't think you'll have to worry about watching Wolves in the Premiership in the 2004/05 season ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Originally posted by Harry2001
    Don't think you'll have to worry about watching Wolves in the Premiership in the 2004/05 season ;)

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just you wait! :)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Aren't Man utd supposed to kick off their Saturday games by 12.30am to aid the police in controlling the large crowds in Manchester afterwards? So that would surely rule utd's home games out, which would obviously be screened earlier by sky. If sky start charging for just about every other game as a culmination of this deal, I'm scrapping my sky sports subscription. If Rte air the odd Liverpool game, I'll be ecstatic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

I hope they don't just show Man Yoo / Arse / L'pool all the time but I'm doubtful... A few of Newcastles games would be nice!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Bastards //me shakes fist at RTE !!!!

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

shakes fist, why exactly??

• Advertisement

Originally posted by s8n

Hmm well 1st is the fact its a foreign league and they spending millions to get it.
    2nd Our licence fee will go up to pay for this.
    3rd Sky do a better job and who in their right mind would watch Rte showing anything which leads on to >
    http://www.soccercentral.ie/viewstory.asp?id=11078&mainheading=Eircom&viewstory=yes
    See EL football for last few years gets more viewers than Premiership on RTE :eek:
    So why pay millions for something which has less viewers than somfin you get basically for free.

Mad isnt it :confused:

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Go Figure!

Shakes fist right back at you! Kdjac. I think the vast majority of football fans in this country would disagree with you and the license fee will go up regardless of this deal!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I think its great, but they really should try to put a bit more of their time into the eircom league. The league needs the money more than the Premiership does.

I agree with you! I think they should cover both leagues equally which would satisfy all fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Except that there are more fans of English football than there are of Irish football. I can understand why too. I have no local team to support living where I do. When the EL games are on there are not too many people who watch them, judging only by their coverage on this forum. at the end of the day RTE is a business and if they have to go paying for something that not too many people are watching then they will get less sponsorship money.

Good point! But I think RTE have a public service remit to give more time to the Eircom League then they do at present.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    Except that there are more fans of English football than there are of Irish football. I can understand why too. I have no local team to support living where I do. When the EL games are on there are not too many people who watch them, judging only by their coverage on this forum. at the end of the day RTE is a business and if they have to go paying for something that not too many people are watching then they will get less sponsorship money.
    I know what you are saying, but how can you cover some SPL games not involving Celtic and not have EL games instead. I find it unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by s8n
    Maybe because we were expecting 38 matches a year not 15.:rolleyes:

There were only ever 30 saturday matches available and I wasn't expecting RTE to win the rights to show any matches, so I'm glad for what they got!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

why is the Eircom League being mentioned. TV3 has the rights to that

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Go Figure!
    There were only ever 30 saturday matches available...
    http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/story/0,7493,981455,00.html
    IRISH LIVE PACKAGE

How many matches? One game every Saturday.
    When will they be shown? 3pm Saturday, in the Republic of Ireland only.
    Who can bid? Irish pay-TV broadcasters, Irish free-to-air broadcasters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

(In a mr.burns style)

EXCELLENT!

Eireboy, Yes and Setanta and RTE between them will show a live match every Saturday during the season but that only comes to around 30 games overall because of mid-week games etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

why is the Eircom League being mentioned. TV3 has the rights to that

WHY WHERE THE FINALS ON N2?

Originally posted by Elmo
    WHY WHERE THE FINALS ON N2?

Sky and RTE have the rights to FAI Cup ,TV3 have rights to EL for about ohh 6 more weeks and they HAVE to show 2 games they showed 1 already.
    Rte can show any game they want as TV3 do not have an exclusivity agreement ,they have to 2 as part of the botched FAI/Sky deal but thats defunct now ,so EL games are up for anyone to show.

Radio Telefís Éireann is the Irish National Public Service Broadcasting Organisation. A statutory corporation, it provides a comprehensive service on radio (since 1926) and on television (since 1961), and a large range of ancillary services. In a highly competitive broadcasting environment RTÉ is the distinctive leader in the Irish media, noted for its cost-effective performance in transmitting programmes of cultural, educational and informational excellence on five radio and two television channels.

Some business relies on licence fees and advertising to be a National Public Service???

kdjac

TV3's aim is to tap the qualities of community pride, independence, creative talent, humor and determination that are a vital part of Irish society, and, in so doing, to bring to its audience a full representation of life in Ireland and of its interaction with the rest of the world.
    Some business relies on licence fees and advertising to be a National Public Service???

And others don't?????????????:eek:

And others don't?????????????:eek:

LOL no ,no company takes public funds in one hand and uses it to cover its costs,and in the other takes corporate money.
    Ever see an ad on BBC????

kdjac

no company takes public funds in one hand and uses it to cover its costs,and in the other takes corporate money.

That wasn't my point.

What I am saying is that if you want a commerical company that will do what RTÉ does in Ireland you will always need to a small amount of Commercial Broadcasting.

Look at what TV3 is and what its supposed to be, it has not tapped the qualities of community pride, independence, creative talent, humor and determination that are a vital part of Irish society, and, in so doing, to bring to its audience a full representation of life in Ireland and of its interaction with the rest of the world.

At least I haven't seen any of this on TV3.

But then I suppose what the british don't see doesn't hurt them.
    BBC World
    BBC America
    BBC Canada
    All of the show the BBC sell on DVD
    BBC Films
    All of the show the BBC sell on to foreign TV stations

No the BBC are not all that commercial now are they.

I bought Dinosuars on DVD the BBC dvd,but i hesitated when Fair fukkin City came out in a box set :D
    BBC do quality ,Rte are proving yet again that they are not a Public service in anyway but a corporate entity intent on profit.

I hope they get crap matches :)

kdjac

• Advertisement

I bought Dinosuars on DVD the BBC dvd,but i hesitated when Fair fukkin City came out in a box set

So You going to run out and buy EastEnders!!!!!!

Kinda getting of the point.

You cann't compare RTE with The BBC, as the BBC have so much more money (And I doesn't all come from the licence fee).
    I hope they get crap matches

It's soccer they'll be lucky if they get one goal.:D

Why Am I writting in the soccer board, I don't like Soccer. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I hope they get crap matches

Couldn,t be any worse than the EL TBH.

wont RTÉ have a choice of 3pm game and not the Premier League telling them what to show. some good games at 3pm most weeks

They will show what the foreign channels show, so some good matches will be shown.
    Assume since this is all because of the EU thing they will have to show each team once.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

i cant see manu, arsenal, chelsea, liverpool being shown too often, as mentioned before, i think it will be relegation scraps or meaningless mid-table clashes.

its a complete waste of money for rte, unless all the above are playing, only a handfull of people will watch it. getting the spl was great as sky lost it a couple of years ago, bringing the premierleague over here is pointless as sky show all the big matches anyway.

i'd prefer watching gilette soccer saturday on sky rather than having to put up with rte's matches. sound loses, commentators getting names mixed up and not pronouncing them properly, muffled crowd noise, a tiny wee clock that nobody can see stuck in a corner.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

When will the first matches be shown?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

The Prem season will probably start on 14th August 2004. So, I imagine RTE or Setanta will show a game live that Saturday. What with live matches on Sky on Saturdays at 12.30 and 5.35, Sunday at 2.00 and 4.05 and Monday at 8.05 (not to mention the "as live" match on saturday evenings), I'll never get out of the house!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I am glad RTÉ won these rights. I am sick of paying out money to Sky for Sky Sports, Premiership + etc. Being able to see live Prem matches with just a TV aerial is great news. If the commentary annoys ya that much, put on Radio Five Live for Alan Green etc.

As for them not going to show any "good" matches, that's rubbish. Sky themselves have missed out some big games already this season, i.e. Leeds -v- Man Utd and Arsenal -v- Chelsea. Sky have to also show the less popular teams as part of their deal with the F.A. This occasionally frees up bigger matches. I imagine whenever any of the following are available (Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Newcastle) they will be shown by RTÉ.

Originally posted by smemon
    bringing the premierleague over here is pointless as sky show all the big matches anyway.
    There hasn't been a big match on Sky in ages. I can't wait til Sunday though as there will be two big matches on Sky, Man utd-v-Liverpool and Chelsea-v-Newcastle.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

they have missed out on a few alright this season.

the thing with sky is that they build up every match to be a big match, loads of hype and an hours build-up to the match. this is were rte go wrong for me, they just have a 5 min build-up and 5mins aftermath. no hi-tec studio or no countless camera's in every corner of the ground, interactive service etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

are bbc getting rights to anything aswell ? . I like watching soccer matches on bbc the most. AH it was good when sky would show two fa cup matches at different times and then i could watch another match on BBC :)

• Advertisement

Yes. As it stands Match of the Day will return next season with Premiership highlights. BBC will also show three live matches from every round of the FA Cup and every single England Home International live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Couldn,t be any worse than the EL TBH.

Muppet, do yourself a favour and head to Tolka tomorrow night if you can. Shels V Bohs, the top two playing with 2 points between them. It'll be more exciting than any of the recent matchs on Sky.

Shels V Shamrock Rovers was a cracking match last Tuesday, honestly more enjoyable than any footy I've seen from the Premiership this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭huh!

The Northern Ireland football association (IFA) have protested about this. and say they will take all steps needed to stop it.

The Northern Ireland football association (IFA) have protested about this. and say they will take all steps needed to stop it.

Why?

Should it not be NIFA?

Why?

Should it not be NIFA?

Matches in the Northern Irish league kick off at 3pm don't they? They reckon that most people who would go to these matches will just sit at home and watch Premiership games on RTE.

Eircom League clubs were compensated by Sky when they started showing Friday night matches a few seasons ago IIRC.

For some strange reason I don't see many soccer fans in the north watching RTE. mmmmmmmmmmm

Also could the IFA not just do what the FAI do and play matches at night, sky will put up the money for the lighting. :D

For some strange reason I don't see many soccer fans in the north watching RTE. mmmmmmmmmmm

Also could the IFA not just do what the FAI do and play matches at night, sky will put up the money for the lighting. :D

Don't think most people really care where they see their live football to be honest. There's a piece on page 3 in todays Indo about it.
    Accepting that live English football is already shown on Saturdays on satellite stations, Mr Boyce (the IFA chairman) insisted that making it more widely available through accessible free channels like RTE would be the death knell for Northern clubs.

I can understand his point I suppose.

May be its time for the IFA and FAI to join together for an all Ireland organisation.

How many people in the north have access to RTE?

Its all a money scam to be honest. There is not a lot of people in the north with RTE and if the fans were more interested in the premiership they would go down to the pub and watch it on foreign satellite. Pure Irony!:mad:

Originally posted by huh!

what has it to do with them. they are unlucky to be living in an area with fortuitous reception. from what i see on the tv hardly anyone turns up at the games anyway

• Advertisement
Advertisement