Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Line Test Fail

• 30-10-2003 7:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi there,
    My line failed the Eircom Prequal line test, does anyone if I can do anything do anything to get it to work? No one I talked to Eircom had a clue.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

u don't say where u are? Has anyone nearby passed?

gb--

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭theshadow

In Westport, Co Mayo. About half the local numbers I tried passed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

ring eircom and say u want to order BB and they will do a proper test, say u had loads of kit plugged in eg answering machine, fax machine, modem and will unplug these for a few days until u hear from them, say lines near to you have passed as well. lay it on thick and then they will have to do a proper test. When u pass just cancel and order from IOL as long as IOL do Mayo.

I did it with mine and it passed.

gb--

Unfortunately IOL don't do Westport yet, roll on.
    Anyway I'll try what you said tmorrrow, hopefully this time the sale person will be bit more helpful.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ConReptus

Greetings,

I've been through the mill with these feckers. Talked to about 7 individuals in Eircom and none of them were will to accept the responsibility of trying to get my connection sorted.

I was being told by Eircom and NetSource that my line was failing. So I went and did some research as to why I could be failing. During this time I called Eircom at least twice a week to test my line, a live test, not just a look at their database. They kept telling me it failed. At one point I got onto an Eircom engineer and he tested the line and said it worked fine, no problem at all. So I call up Eircom sales with this info and forced it sown their throats. They arranged for a proper live test the next day and everything was dandy after that. This process took me two months.... why?

Anyway, morale of the story here is to not pay any attention at all to what anyone from Eircom says unless they are an engineer in the field. Just tell them that you had your line tested independently and that it checked out fine and that all they have to do is a live test on your line to update their database. If your line still fails after that then you are out of luck.

Hope that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by theshadow
    Unfortunately IOL don't do Westport yet, roll on.
    Huh? IOL are just reselling Eircoms wholesale service - they don't install any of their own equipment in the local exchanges. I'm pretty sure that IOL will provide IOLBB anywhere that eircom are selling the service.

(Maybe they won't send an engineer to Mayo for an engineer install, but paying for an engineer to install DSL is pouring money down the drain).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

just to hammer the point home about a line fail not being the end of the story - my line passed 3 months ago, i went with netsource, wanted to switch and now... my line fails...

someday soon i'll ring em up and tell them i actually HAVE broadband, could they explain why my line doesn't pass for it.

I'm sure they would then deny all knowledge of broadband and they have no idea how it work, which wouldn't be more than 3" from the truth.

Update
    Rang eircom earlier today and said I'd like to order BB like gb was saying. The sale person did a live test and my line passed.

The sales person can't actually do a line test. They just check the database.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭fcukme

Hey everyone,
    Just wanted to see did anyone else ever have this problem with eircom and their testing of lines for broadband. I got the line tested last week when i rang iol. By the time iol sent the contract and all the other stuff out (this week), the line is now failing the test and i cant get broadband.
    Wonder would it be different if i was buying from them?

Anyone know how often these lines are tested or what the story is?

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by Ripwave
    Huh? IOL are just reselling Eircoms wholesale service - they don't install any of their own equipment in the local exchanges. I'm pretty sure that IOL will provide IOLBB anywhere that eircom are selling the service.

(Maybe they won't send an engineer to Mayo for an engineer install, but paying for an engineer to install DSL is pouring money down the drain).

eircom try to get as many people on istream as posible before letting other providers buy wholesale from them so if its a newly enabled exchange eircom might be the only option for a few weeks

Originally posted by tuxx
    eircom try to get as many people on istream as posible before letting other providers buy wholesale from them so if its a newly enabled exchange eircom might be the only option for a few weeks
    If that's happening in this case, document it, and send it to ComReg - eircom aren't allowed sell a service to their own retail arm that they aren't also selling to other providers.

utv told me thats what happens they dont seem interested in complaining about it
    or maybe they have already and comreg says they wont do anything about it
    either way its for the providers to complain about

utv told me thats what happens they dont seem interested in complaining about it or maybe they have already and comreg says they wont do anything about it either way its for the providers to complain about
    No, it's for you to complain about it. UTV and IOL can't prove that it's happening - you can.

the only proof i have is what utv told me
    at the moment it isnt affecting me so its not for me to complain

the only proof i have is what utv told me
    at the moment it isnt affecting me so its not for me to complain
    Okay, the €54.45 service is available, and the €47.50 service isn't, even though eircom are legally required to provide any DSL that they retail as a wholesale product to other users, but this isn't your problem because you don't care about getting what you're entitled to?

my exchange isnt enabled i cant get either

Advertisement