Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing broadband yourself

• 30-10-2003 8:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

thinking of getting iol broadband .
    Its free if your install it yourself, now by installing it yourself is it just Installing the modem and connection it up to your phone socket or does it require something more technical ?

Whats the average download speed ?
    and ping time ?

Thank You

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

thats basically it, you get a thing to plug into the phone socket (like a splitter). Onc cable then goes to the phone while the other goes into your modem... thats it physically setup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 cecil

You have to have some knowledge of circuits and how to rewire a phone socket, youll need a soldering iron and some solder. A few people here say its easy, however its certainly a difficult enough process. Id go with the engineer install.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭huh!

On our planet self install is literaly that, just pluging modem in pc, phone line from modem to phone socket with filters in line, then installing drivers on pc, very easy. On Cecils planet seems to be more difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Thanks guys .
    You have to have some knowledge of circuits and how to rewire a phone socket, youll need a soldering iron and some solder. A few people here say its easy, however its certainly a difficult enough process. Id go with the engineer install.

Soldering ? WWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHA !?[

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

hahah cecil, cheered me up there

what with the solder and what nots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Originally posted by cecil

he came here to ask a simple simple he didn't want a ****ing ass to answer his question.

You chaps probably just got lucky, that was exactly how I had to install it. However if you live within certain areas you might not have to do this.

i am in dublin 15, carpenterstown !
    my friend said he rang iol up and they said its simple install and hook up. No soldering .

Dublin 15 might be alright. Dont quote me on this though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

placebo, cecil is joking (not bery funny tbh) what your friend was told is right

• Advertisement

I am just winding you up. I work as an engineer for IOL and we are getting no business at all lately. Everybody chooses self install and if they continue to do so I will be out of a job :(

alright, thanks man, il order it tomorow .
    anyway one play counter strike on it ? lags ?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Originally posted by cecil
    I am just winding you up. I work as an engineer for IOL and we are getting no business at all lately. Everybody chooses self install and if they continue to do so I will be out of a job :(

lmao!!!

Advertisement