Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Webserver

Options
  • 30-10-2003 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

Since I'm stuck behind a firewall no one can directly connect to my computer. So a webserver looks like the best way to share files. What is the simpliest way to get one up and running?

Or does anyone else know how to file share without using a peer to peer client?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DjTaz

Have u tried an FTP program ?

try to get ur hands on bulletproof or something like that --- u can set ratios for upload/download and all that kinda stuff
    its prob what u want

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

NT-based Windows OS's come with IIS, but I'm not sure you want to enable that unless: a) you're patched to the hilt; b) you'll stay patched to the hilt; and c) you're willing to read the manual and make sure everything that should be disabled is disabled.

Now that I've done the polite thing (for a Windows forum), I'd recommend Apache, which is as secure as you can get out of the box, and comes with a Windows installer. And of course it's open source, and free.

As to file sharing, I presume you can open up shares on your rig to the Internet, but if that's possible, it would be very unwise imho.

It would be easier to offer a recommendation if you told us exactly what you want to share, and with whom.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

I'm confused, if the firewall is restricting extrenal access to your computer, what is installing a web server going to achieve? unless the firewall is configured to forward requests for port 80 to your machine, external users will still not be able to access your machine?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by dahamsta
    NT-based Windows OS's come with IIS, but I'm not sure you want to enable that unless: a) you're patched to the hilt; b) you'll stay patched to the hilt; and c) you're willing to read the manual and make sure everything that should be disabled is disabled.

Apache, which is as secure as you can get out of the box, and comes with a Windows installer. And of course it's open source, and free.
    IIS = It Isn't Secure.
    IIS is a bad idea. And staying patched to the hilt would not have helped for some of the previous vunerabilities. Also IIS features that you have disabled have a nasty habit of re enabiling themselves when you reinstall ...

Instead of a webserver you could also use anyone of a number of FTP apps..

But if the firewall has been setup properly it would not allow incoming connections to your machine unless a tunnel had been setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.your-freedom.net/index.pl/en/faq.html
    In reality it will probably be a combination of the above - to give you an idea without any sponsorship/donatations we would need to charge between 1 - 10 USD per month, depending on the traffic you generate.

Can I use my Browser with my Company proxy and "Your Freedom" at the same time.

The very short answer is: No.
    So if you are going through a proxy and they've blocked off 81.169.173.25 it won't work - if it does you are into dodgy legal ground as regards the people whose internet you are using - expecially the bit about "Forward assigned server ports to your PC"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

True. I should probably have stated "works for me" and "any legal problems due to use of this product are your own responsibility". The service is free at the moment BTW, but more than likely be a payable service when fully launched.

Advertisement