Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound-Skipping/DMA

• 31-10-2003 12:51am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Problem:
    When I try to read from a CD (e.g. reading an audio CD or copying from a data CD to the hard drive) the whole PC sound starts skipping, whether it be an mp3, Windows sound or the audio CD music. Most of the time, this happens to an extent where I can't even recognise what is being played.

Details:
    Primary IDE channel
    Used to be 2 hard drives:
    80GB
    40Gb IBM Deathstar (has since broken (duh), and has been removed)

Secondary IDE channel
    Asus 16x DVD ROM
    Asus 48x CDRw

The Primary IDE channel has DMA enabled, which is working fine.
    The secondary IDE channel, I have set to "DMA if available", but stays with "PIO mode" even with a restart.

I'm presuming that the DMA access (or lack thereof) is causing the skipping problem. Is it possible to run DMA on both the Primary and the Secondary IDE channels at the same time?

Maybe I'm jumping ahead of myself here but can anybody think of another cause of the problem?

I have damn good sound card, so that can't possibly be the fault. The processor is easily capable of handling the small task, and the CD drives all have good read rates, so what else could it be but software?

Any suggestions appriciated.
    Thanks,
    Sinecure.

PC Specs:
    Processor: AthlonXP 2000
    RAM: 512Mb
    HD: 80Gb
    Sound Card: Audigy2 Platinum
    Speakers: Creative MegaWorks 550
    Motherboard/DVD/CDRW: All ASUS

Advertisement