Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV IP have you exceeded your allowance yet?

Options
  • 31-10-2003 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Apologies in adance for being nerdish enough to analyse phone bills but I have just noticed something interesting about the way UTV calculates the excess minutes.

I am on UTV XL Lite ( a tenner for 30 hours). In a normal month we don't exceed 30 hours but in September we went mad and spluged a whole 41 hours (scandalous) on the internet.

Anyway I had been monitoring usage with no frills timer and after the 30 hour mark I was careful not to dial up during peak hours. Yet when the bill came I noticed that instead of getting the first 30 hours free and the last 11 hours charged for the 11 charged hours were spread randomly over the month - even going as far back as the 1st September.

Anothe interesting fact - UTV IP shows up as two numbers on our phone bill - the normal 1893242242 and a second which is marked 1893242242UL. The 1893242242UL are free at any time of the month whereas the 18932424 numbers are free up to about the 16th of the month and are charged for after that. The total free hours add up to 30 hours (29 hour:59 minutes and 23 second to be precise) so we are not being ripped off but I am intrigued by the scheme UTV are using.

Possibility A: UTV are spreading the charged hours randomly over the month in order to ensure that a representative portion of daytime and evening calls are charged for.

Possibility B: I wonder if it has anything to do with the "secret" overflow number - would 1893242242UL actually be a code for these overflow calls?

Anyone else noticed this or worked out the pattern?

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The UL-marked numbers are the rollover calls. They are marked as such so as not to show the actual rollover number on the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

I have just realised that I contradicted myself in my first post. Just to clarify - I was not billed for any calls until the 16th of the month. Then I was billed for some calls (the non UL marked ones) and I was not billed for others (the UL marked ones).

Oscarbravo if your comment is correct it looks like the rollover calls are always free !!! which is quite bizarre.

Advertisement