Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which option, on a budget

• 31-10-2003 12:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭

My line just passed in a Eircom/ IOL enabled area.

Now here goes,

I have a pc with a wirless card + Nic, Laptop with wireless card + NIC

I want to connect the adsl to the pc, and wireless it out to the laptop for browsing(sounds easy enough through connection sharing)

So i have to choose which product, as it stands I`m not gonna buy a hib/router/modem, just gonna go with whatever iol/eircom offer.

Eircom give an ethernet modem(which suits me) while IOL give a USB one.

The line would be used for browsing and the odd online game.

I`m siding with eircom, do i get to choose any particular modem when going with the starter packs. If so which modem is best.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭PaulMagrath

I don't think you get any choice with the starter packs with eircom - you certinly don't with IOL.

IOL is cheaper though if you are on a budget and, quite frankly, as eircom has trottled this service at 512k, the advantages of ethernet don't really make up for the more expensive service with a smaller cap that eircom offers compared to IOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by PaulMagrath
    IOL is cheaper though if you are on a budget and, quite frankly, as eircom has trottled this service at 512k, the advantages of ethernet don't really make up for the more expensive service with a smaller cap that eircom offers compared to IOL.
    Huh? The advantages of ethernet have nothing to do with speed.

Given that the guy has a PC and a laptop, both with ethernet cards, the Eircom offering actually works out cheaper over the course of a year than the IOL option, because you can actually plug two PCs into the eircom modem (one into the USB port, and one into the ethernet port. He'd have to spend more than the €50 he'd save by going with IOL to buy a DSL router.

Assuming you don't put any monetary value on your soul, of course.

Oh for god's sake:

READ THE POSTS BEFORE YOU RESPOND!!!

He says he has a wireless LAN card in both machines. Therefore he can share his connection with WinXP ICS by connecting the modem to the USB port of either!

And no I don't put a "monetary value" on my soul, FYI!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭tonky

bazH:
    Eircom supply the Netopia Cayman 3341.
    IOL supply the ZyXEL USB Prestige 630.
    I have both of these here.
    The Netopia is (IMHO) the more desirable and professional looking product, with Ethernet, NAT and DHCP. I went with this connected to a small 4 port ethernet hub
    wired to the MACS and a Basic PC Wireless 802.11 AP for the Win laptop.
    As you have both wireless and Ethernet cards in your PC, it should be easy enough to setup with the Netopia.
    What wireless system/access point are you using as a matter of interest?

• Advertisement

Oh for god's sake:

He says he has a wireless LAN card in both machines. Therefore he can share his connection with WinXP ICS by connecting the modem to the USB port of either!
    I did read the original post (apparently I paid more attention to it than you did, because he said he has wireless and ethernet in both machines).

But he didn't say that he wants to have to turn the PC on so that he can access the Internet from the laptop, or that he wants to leave the PC on 24 hours a day.

Using ICS will cost more in time, effort and even electricity that doing the job properly, after a very short period of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Oh for god's sake:

Do you have to keep jumping down people's throats all the time?

bazH, I'd go with the Ethernet modem. Alot more reliable/hassle free than USB modems.

Originally posted by Ripwave
    he didn't say that he wants to have to turn the PC on so that he can access the Internet from the laptop, or that he wants to leave the PC on 24 hours a day.

He does however say that he doesn't want to buy a router.

Originally posted by Frank_Grimes
    Do you have to keep jumping down people's throats all the time?

Sorry.:rolleyes:

He does however say that he doesn't want to buy a router.
    Are you the same PaulMagrath that said READ THE POSTS BEFORE YOU RESPOND!!!?

The original poster said as it stands I`m not gonna buy a hib/router/modem, just gonna go with whatever iol/eircom offer.. Which is exactly why I pointed out that the eircom modem would allow him to plug both machines in at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

Do eircom supply the Netopia Cayman 3341 on the current free modem offer? thats a nice device, ive seen a few, they blow those awful usb thingies away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭tonky

sirlinux.
    Yep. 3341 is shipped as "free modem" by Eircom. Nice device alright, loads of features, esp browser config. Playing with it over the weekend, waiting for BB connection on Monday/Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Thanks for ll your info, unfortunatley there is no prize for the best reply, so theres no need for the competitive replies :D

To clarify, my main pc, is the one in which i will be hooking the dsl into, then using a wireless pci 11g card(smc) to share connection with my laptop 11b(smc usb yoke). IF i wanted to use MS ICS on the lappie, i dont mind switching on my main pc, or even i can plug directly into the adsl modem, thus eircom show better here, as i can plug pc and lappie using direct connects to the modem at the same time.

After giving this loads of thought im going with the EIRCOM package. The fact that its a lower cap doesnt really affect me as i have a college connection (10MB or so) for warezy

Again thanks for your replies

Advertisement