Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone heard about this

Options
  • 31-10-2003 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭

got a letter from martin cullen this morning and attached was a letter from Comreg (my favourite non entity), usual we cant do anything for shin so just push off and leave us alone.

Last paragraph intrigued me somewhat though, whether its true or not I dunno

Apparently quoting the letter here

"Eircom is looking to rollout a newer form of DSL technology which extends the reach of the service"

Err anyone lnow anything about this

Shin

oh and this made me laugh, i contacted comreg on no fewer than 11 occasions, between april and june to complain abour BB, could be a record lol

ps: while im on a rant here why in the **** when i write an e-mail to eircom et al, do they not read the e-mail fully, eircom have confirmed to me on more than 6 occasions that my distance from the exchange is bloody nothing to do with my problem

had to get that of my chest

oh and while im at it, could eircom please fix there flaming online checker, my line passed last night, rang eircom first thing this morning, nope sorry glitch in the system your lines still failing

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Thought you said your line passed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

read the post i edited it again to include new imformation

shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by shinzon
    Last paragraph intrigued me somewhat though, whether its true or not I dunno

Apparently quoting the letter here

"Eircom is looking to rollout a newer form of DSL technology which extends the reach of the service"

Err anyone lnow anything about this
    Sounds like a Civil Service timewarp. When RADSL was introduced (just a few short months ago, believe it or not!) it was a "new form of DSL technology which extends the reach of the service". There may well be future tweaks and changes to the service, but I'd be surprised to see yet another technology introduced into the mix by eircom at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by shinzon

[sarcasm]
    Take a look through the press release archive at the BT (UK) website, for 2000-2001. Should give you a good indication of what eircom are likely to do in 2004
    [/sarcasm]

There is a family of DSL variants, commonly collectively referred to a xDSL. Not sure if any of the eircom lurkers would be willing to do a post on what’s currently in the melting pot. Some expand bandwidth, (VDSL), some extend distance (IDSL, but with a speed penalty), some are synchronous (SDSL/SHSDL)
    Not sure of the likelyhood of any of these addressing your (still undefined AFAIK) problem - crap copper is crap copper, and all of the above will continue to be available to a percentage of users, not all users.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Its probably RDSL.. yes no?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

ADSL2, which is already widely used in Asia (Japan and South Korea ring a bell), increases the speed to 26mbps (whereas old ADSL was limited to 8mbps, perhaps 11mbps with some modifications).

At the same time, ADSL2 increases the coverage area (distance users can be from the DSLAM). While ADSL only reaches to about 4 miles, ADSL2 can go to just over 5 miles. Obviously this assumes a properly installed phone line, and may exclude some of the crap Eircom have been doing to our lines over the years. Speed is variable as with ADSL, meaning that the further you are away from your exchange, the more the maximum possible speed will drop. That said, speeds will improve even for people who are further away from the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

yeah thought it might summit like that, couldnt see anyway eircom would be rolling out any new technologies while the old ones barely working as it is.

This letter was attached to the letter martin cullen sent me, im amazed he didnt smell the BS from a mile away.

Ho hum anyway ive gotten in contact with the Waterford Team leader for eircom here in Waterford, explianed the case to him and he said hell see what he can do for me and give me a ring next week

Hopefully something will come of this.

What really got my goat up is that he said there was no record of any engineer coming up to me on the 29th of september to check the line, I kept telling him he did come up (probabaly made a mistake there, coulda gotten another one up LOL), so he said god knows what he did to your line

Anyhoo well see what happens now

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Does the Alcatel kit they bought support ADSL2? Muck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Originally posted by crawler
    Does the Alcatel kit they bought support ADSL2? Muck?
    Heh, that would involve eircom actuually having a plan fro the future, they don't seeemed to of ever had it till now so I can't see it starting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

It probably supports IDSL,anybody for IDSL?

It is newer than ADSL(as is ADSL2) and has a longer reach.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

I say its Idsl

They've launched Adsl, Radsl... I think its only a matter of time before they launch Idsl (pretty much same speed as Isdn). Do you really think Eircom, the company that is now years behind the UK in terms of broadband would be one of the first to launch Adsl2?

For anybody who was wondering about ISDL. The following is from the Netopia web site:

IDSL is the "always-on" version of dial-up ISDN, without the per minute usage charges. IDSL typically delivers maximum symmetric speeds at 144 Kbps, but with DSL Bonding IDSL can deliver maximum bandwidth of up to 576 Kbps. IDSL has a much farther reach compared to other types of DSL. IDSL is an affordable service for businesses located up to 36,000 feet (6.8 miles) from the CO, and is a particularly good option for those too far from the CO to get SDSL service.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I remember reading about this before: Isn't ISDL pretty much flat-rate ISDN, and doesn't this mean it'll require two "lines" and thus double line-rental?

adam

Originally posted by dahamsta
    I remember reading about this before: Isn't ISDL pretty much flat-rate ISDN, and doesn't this mean it'll require two "lines" and thus double line-rental?
    ISDN doesn't "require" two lines - it just uses both pairs, and delivers two numbers, so eircom charge you twice.

It's the same scam when you order a second line, and they "split" your existing line, charging your twice for the same bit of wire that you've had in the house for the previous 20 years!

That's why "lines" was in quotes. The question stands.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

'isdn idsl differences' into google returns links contrasting the two technologies.

I saw some IDSL offers in Switzerland, I think they were starting from (converted) about 30 euros a month. None of them claimed to use two lines. In fact, you can only use your IDSL 'connection' for to access the Internet, and you can't make voice calls on it, so Eircon (or whoever) can't claim you are getting two lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I got radsl as its the cheapest available, not because my line would not take proper adsl.
    If the gobsh*tes at eircon lower the price of adsl, alot of the workable lines in urban areas would go for it instead of radsl.

I'm 2.1km from exchange, i bet my line would take proper adsl because it was tested for it before and passed but was too pricey to get it.
    If IDSL is introduced as a last alternative for only those users in 'rural' areas, fair enuff.
    Would IDSL be classed as broadband ??

Everybody should be entitled to the highest spec of dsl thats available whether in urban or in rural areas at an affordable price, not some lower version of it. (Perhaps a goal of IOFFL?)

gurramok, IDSL is limited to 144kbps downstream and 144kbps upstream, so I don't think you could call that broadband. With that being said, it is always-on with no dialup fees, so it is a big improvement on regular ISDN. And it will work anywhere where ISDN does today. I think it needs a separate copper pair though, which will not support voice.

By the way, RADSL is not inferior to regular ADSL really. The latency and bandwidth should be the same, the only difference is that if your line is poor, RADSL can fall back dynamically. It is simply a subset of normal ADSL. Sort of like your 56k modem will only connect at 45k (or whatever) if your line will not support its full speed.

Hmmmm. I'm almost certain I remember a "broadband" "solution" in the UK recently which was effectively ISDN painted as something else. One channel was always-on but the other only came up as required, which meant you still had a voice channel available. If somone picked up the phone while both channels were up, the second channel was kicked and they got a dial tone.

Someone tell me I'm not going mad.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

I have a hazy memory of something called 'baseband' that BT started offering.. earlier this year? Fink its what youre talking about adam.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

My mistake. 'Midband'. Link here. If the link doesnt work (it has fupping session stuff in the url like eircoms site), go to www.bt.com -> 'At Home' -> 'Internet@home' / 'BT Midband'.

BT Midband brings you faster Internet access
    If you want a faster Internet connection and broadband is not yet available to you, BT Midband offers an alternative high-speed solution.

What can you do with BT Midband?
    Available to 97% of the UK
    Automatic selection of 64k or 128k - depending on the size of file you are trying to transfer
    Automatically download bigger files at 128k
    Use the phone while you surf at 64k*
    Connect to the web in 4 seconds - not the average 30 seconds of a 56k modem
    Get high-speed Internet access, your line rental and the flexibility of BT Midband all for one flat rate monthly payment.

How does it compare to broadband?
    BT Midband is a dial-up connection that takes just 4 seconds to connect to the Internet and lets you surf at up to 128k.

So although it isn't 'always on' like broadband, you'll get the speed and flexibility you need and be able to chat while you're surfing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

adam, the solution in the UK that BT was testing (not sure if it was ever offered as a commercial product) was just regular old 128kbps ISDN, with a router that dials in automatically. The router drops the second channel if a user picks up the phone, or if there is an incoming call.

The router automatically makes a call if a user types in a web address, and ISDN only takes half a second to establish the connection.

In other words, just old ISDN, nothing to do with IDSL.

That's the kiddy. Thanks folks.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Wasn't there talk of BT testing some hybrid product that would use the D Channel to simulate always on and trickle through e-mail and other non time sensitive traffic, dynamically bringing up the b channels as required?

It's certainly something IrelandOffline was advocating for a long time, and I do seem to remember seeing it released somewhere as a product. I think it was only a trial though.

adam

Originally posted by gurramok
    I got radsl as its the cheapest available, not because my line would not take proper adsl.
    Just as a matter of interest, what do you think makes RADSL anything less that "proper" ADSL?

(Before you spend too much time looking for answers on Google, RADSL is actually BETTER than "proper" ADSL, because it's more flexible. It can deliver exactly the same service as "proper" ADSL on lines that are up to it, and offer a slightly lower level of service on lines that won't support "proper" ADSL. As it happens, eircom decided to package their RADSL offerings differently, charging twice as many customers half as much for the same infrastructure).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

The best country to compare broadband to is Sweden (my home country, which I left for a reason yet unknown to me, in order to move to Ireland).

Anyways, 26Mbit in both directions for under 50 euros a month, thats what you can get in Sweden.

Two of the three biggest ISPs in Sweden don't even offer ADSL lines with less than 10MBit speeds. The highest priced line is 75euros a month, but the average price is about 50 euros a month (just less).
    DL limits are unheard of.

Do a search on google for GigaSunet, the Swedish University Backbone, and check the speed of that line (the name says something about it, GIGAsunet).

All student houses are hooked up to Sunet with 10MBit or 100MBit connections.

There are also a bunch of apartment complexes in the bigger cities that have 100MBit connections.

Just yesterday I was playing UT2003 against a Swedish guy with less than 20 ping. I have yet to drop under 50 in ping on UT2003 from Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Originally posted by muffen
    Do a search on google for GigaSunet, the Swedish University Backbone, and check the speed of that line (the name says something about it, GIGAsunet).

All student houses are hooked up to Sunet with 10MBit or 100MBit connections.

There are also a bunch of apartment complexes in the bigger cities that have 100MBit connections.
    not fair. :mad:

aside from maybe Guinness, is there anything in Ireland that isn't better somewhere else?

I think one of the major Swedish/Dutch telecoms companies should be allowed to take over €ircon, so we can all have a large portion of the good stuff (broadband I mean;)).

Would it be possible for the Govt. or someone else to force the sale of €ircon to a more competent foreign interest for reasons of gross misconduct, including (but not exclusively) extortion/racketeering etc?

Advertisement