Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router (BBR 1440) problem with Eircom

• 31-10-2003 1:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi:

I have an eircom i-stream connection and it works via Ethernet for one computer. I am now trying to get a router - the BBR 1400 - working. I have been informed by eircom that I need to set the connection type to PPOE, multiplexing to LLC, VPI to 8 and VCI to 35. I have set the connection to PPOE but I cannot seem to find any settings on the router config for multiplexing, VPI or VCI. Does anybody know how I might resolve this?

regards,

Stephen.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jsynge

What modem are you using? If your modem works when you only have one pc plugged into it, the VPI / VCI is correct. I had a problem when trying to use the ethernet modem they sent with a router I had (Linksys). If you telnet into the modem there are many settings you can change - I did this a few weeks ago, so I can't remember exactly what I changed, but I think it was something to do with bridging (it wasn't enabled by default). If you let me know what kind of modem you have I can probably recreate what I did. With some patience I think I can help you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭skeegan

I'm using the Netopia Cayman 3300 series modem. I'm not sure that the problem is with the modem (but it may be)... I think it is with the router. Thanks for you advice about bridging. I'll look into it... I have a feeling the router is the problem..

Same modem I was using and I had the exact same problem - I turned off dhcp and assigned an IP address (though this shouldn't really matter), I also enabled bridging. There is some info on the modem on the manufacturer's web site, though when you actually telnet to it, everything is different. I can almost guarantee you it will work if you simply change the modem settings. If you need more help, let me know...

Also - if you want to test the router - and you're in Dublin, perhaps you can plug it into my dsl, if it works on my line, then it's the modem...

I have connected to the modem using the browser by going to http://192.168.1.254/ (similar to connecting by telnet). I have looked through all the settings and there are various entries mentioning bridging.

From what you have said I was thinking of following the instructions under "Configuring for Bridge Mode in COS 6.3.0 (and later)" posted at http://www.netopia.com/en-us/support/technotes/hardware/CQG_020.html?print=yes.

Do you think this will accomplish what you are talking about?

• Advertisement

Can't hurt to try. I know I only changed one bridge setting when I was telnetted into the modem, but I don't have the modem myself (I was hacking around with it for a friend). You should just try it and see if it works, if not, you can always change it back. Your router should handle any NAT that the modem was handling. The only other change I made was to turn off dhcp...

jsynge-that's great stuff, got it working.. For anyone else with similar problems, I would advise just switching the modem to bridge mode (i.e. don't follow the steps in the links above)... thanks again jsynge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭hudson806

Originally posted by skeegan
    I'm using the Netopia Cayman 3300 series modem. I'm not sure that the problem is with the modem (but it may be)... I think it is with the router. Thanks for you advice about bridging. I'll look into it... I have a feeling the router is the problem..

The Netopia Cayman is already a router, and a much better specified one than the BBR model - you don't need to buy another. Instead you can just pick up a normal 4 port ethernet switch for about €30 and plug it into the Ethernet port if you want to share the connection.

thanks for the advice hudson806...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭hudson806

Originally posted by skeegan
    thanks for the advice hudson806...

Seems I was about a minute too late... ;)

• Advertisement

I wasn't sure what kind of router you had - but I've been using the modem eircom ships in conjuction with another router for wireless :) Glad you got it working...

Advertisement