Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a soundcard

• 31-10-2003 2:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a soundcard for making music. Bit bewildered by what's on offer. Any suggestions. Budget. Mid-price and high end options.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Audigy 2 platinum all thwe way baybeh.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&sku=116168&p=&t=&l=&AvdID=1&CatID=&GrpID=&cks=SER

Or if you dont wanna spend that much get an audigy 2 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

audigy2 all the way dude.

i've the non platium version which is great and i've no need for the break out box but it's a great card and it has been said that it's a card for music makers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭mobby

yes audigy 2, Its expensive but worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

175 clams for an audigy 2 platinum on komplett...
    i've heard that some of the high end terratec cards are good for music production, i'd still go for the audigy 2 platinum tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Tazz T

By general consensus the Audigy 2 Platinum wins the day. That does seem like a good price on Komplett too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

get the audigy 2 ZS, regular, or platinum pro, depending on if u want the extra connections or not.

www.overclockers.co.uk and www.dabs.com are doing them. komplett are not stocking them yet. Getting the audigy 2 now when its successor is out for about the same price is a little silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

The audigy is a bit of a consumer card, denpending on how serious you are and if you can afford it look into an m-audio audiophile or something like it.

Check out the forums www.thumped.com and www.computermusic.co.uk for some advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jam

Or if you had any sense you'd but the card directly from Creative-Ireland. Free shipping too.

Edit: Okay I wasn't expecting the Audigy 2 Plat. to be cheaper on Komplett, one would think the manufacturer would be the cheapest..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

Seeing as you say you're interested in mid/high end gear, have a look at motu (mark of the unicorn!). They have a really nice 8 in 8 out firewire interface called 828 mark 2 (e995).

I've mostly been looking at firewire/usb gear to keep it portable, there are loads of pci interfaces out there to investigate also.

The m-audio audiophile goes for e229. Theres a good pdf at this link on beginner computer recording gear, investigate all the options before you buy anything.

komplett is sh*t for sound cards at the moment.

Their software prices leave a bit to be desired also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by astrofool
    komplett is sh*t for sound cards at the moment.
    yet despite that, they still manage to beat the manufacturers on cost.
    (or were you talking about selection)

I note that the Audigy 2 Platinum is compatible with 98 SE or higher. I assume that this means it isn't compatible with 98, currently in use by me.

Further suggestions, peeps?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jam

Relax Tazz, Win98 Se is only Win98 with the service pack pre-installed (er, as it were).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

M-Audio Revolution is the best bet pricewise for music making.. I know of several ppl using it with some high-end gear, and is always reccomended as a sound-card on any hifi forums I frequent.

i meant in selection

Also creative.com is more like a retail outlet than wholesaler, so of course the likes of dabs/komplett/overclockers will beat it

Originally posted by Jam
    Relax Tazz, Win98 Se is only Win98 with the service pack pre-installed (er, as it were).

Having now installed the card, I attempted to install the software and discovered that 'this card is not supported in your version of windows' (ie; 98).

Help someone?

Also can someone tell me what the internal power cable for the device attaches to because I don't know.

Thanks

Advertisement