Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

overclock p4's?

• 31-10-2003 4:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭

lads,

never thought id overclock my system but i was thinking i might try it just to see wht happens! thing is i have a p4 2GHz and the multiplier is locked. is there a way to unlock this or is there another way to overclock the chip??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

your multiplier is locked but your FSB might not be. All you need is to increment it until its unstable (won't boot) and that's your limit. watch for temps!

Google is you friend. :cool:

What kind of board do you have? there's plebty of programs that let you o/c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

what about messing with the voltage? how messy/dodgey is that??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Increasing voltage can help stability when overclocking, it has nothing to do with the clock speed.

Only up the voltage a wee bit if you need it :)

www.overclockers.com

thanx a lot lads.

im using the intel standard fan at the mo so im not gonna try anything till i get a better fan. considering the areo one. anyone tried out this fan? reactions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

P4's are gr8 for qverclocking my friend has his 1.8 overclocked to 2.6 using stock cooling

• Advertisement

how did he do this thomas?? was it just by altering the fsb? also, what fsb did the chip originally run at. 400 or 533??

how does he know what speed it is running at? what software was used (if any) to find out the speed when overclocked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

in WIN XP if you right-click my computer you can display the Mhz your CPU is running at.
    try up the FSB and check it before and after.

if you're dodgy about overclocking with stock fan, just try it out by overclocking a small bit first.

those aero [lite] coolers r the bees knees, coz they're cheap as smeg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

The aero's are good just don't buy the jet. It looks great but it doesn't perform all that good and is noisy as hell.

The older aero's perform better thn it and are probably your best bet for overclocking.

BloodBath

Advertisement