Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving an XP install from one drive to another

Options
  • 31-10-2003 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭

Fairly simple, I hope.

I have Windows XP pro installed on an ATA-100 drive. I have a 120gig S-ata drive, which works nicely. I want to move my entire windows install from the ata drive to the s-ata drive.

Now I can't just copy the files straight over, windows locks a bunch of them and would prevent that from happening, not forgetting that the boot sector and MBR won't get copied over that way.

Has anyone ever done this? Or am I just better off reinstalling?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭fatmander

'Tis simple
    you need some kind of imaging software, ie Ghost, Drive Image
    Takes a bit by bit shot of your drive, places it bit by bit on the new drive
    simple to use, and very fast
    http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/
    http://www.powerquest.com/driveimage/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

Hmmm, that seems like it would do the job okay.

I might give the unix command dd a try. If that fails...

thanks a mil

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I did the drive image copy routine recently but it didn,t work, Xp halted at the xp screen during reboot of second drive. Gave up then and did a fresh install. Read a few articles on this some say it works ok others say that as xp uses numbers from the hard disk to validate itself it will not work. I was using xp home and it didnt maybe it works on the corporate edition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭fatmander

Hey muppet,
    I heard that only the latest version of both programs work with XP cuz the NTFS file structure is slightly different from the NTFS with win2k.
    I am using ghost 2003 on XP pro and I haven't had any problems yet

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

look up SYSPREP - it is a Microsoft utility that disables copyright protection features of Windows 2K / XP for just long enough to clone a drive witha third party app. You have to re-enter the serial number on both drives on the next boot.

dd is great if both drives have EXACTLY the same geometry - I've had problems with it in the past but that was photocopying a 40GB drive onto a 20GB one :) - have a look at the RECENT threads on cloning on this forum and the UNIX one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

because you plugged in the drive as a slave xp has marked the 120gig drive as the d drive, when you ghost it, xp might boot but it will be running off the d drive (no matter where you connect it, it is the d drive according to xp ), porblem occurs if you remove the old drive (c: ), now the swap file is gone and all the shortcuts point to a missing drive letter.

just reinstall xp on the new drive, and use that xp settings copying feature from the cd

i tried that sysprep thing once,that got xp to boot up fine but it was still on the d drive and all my shortcuts were invalid, and a lot of programs gave errors

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

'tis easy enough to change the drive letter back again in control panel
    system management / computer management thingy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

i don't think it will let you change the drive letter on the system drive

EDIT> sorry no need for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

for your own information

drive image 2003 (aka 7)

lets u make an image of ur windows partition while its running

amazing stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Hankster

You could also try this, if you don't want to fork out any cash.

A little bit more difficult than using one of pieces disk cloning software, but a hell of a lot cheapr too! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement