Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ADOM - My poor novice wizard dies an early violent death!

• 31-10-2003 5:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Typical, I was being really careful with my mage in ADOM and I get my head smashed by an overhead falling block. The guy was only 2 days old. The Funeral is on Saturday. You are all welcome to attend... <Sniff>... Bawl!

Background Information

Name: Arowan Race: male Gray Elf Class: Wizard
    Eye color: amber Hair color: silver Complexion: light
    Height: 6'10" Weight: 147 pounds
    Star sign: Sword Birthday: 16/Sword (day 196 of the year)

YOUR HISTORY:
    Your father is a guildmaster. Your family generally is rather
    wealthy and well-known in your home town.
    As a child you lived through happy days. Your parents tried to ease
    your life as much as possible and gave you a lot of comfort.
    As a kid you often watched the adult adventurers preparing for new
    exciting journeys. They sparked your imagination.
    As a young adult you were a credit to your family. Your parents
    supported your plans and were very understanding. They tried to help you
    along your way with all means at their disposal.
    You decided to become a Wizard.

Inventory
    Total weight: 465 stones Carrying capacity: 1100 stones

Head : -
    Neck : -
    Body : uncursed robe [+1, +0] [60s]
    Girdle : -
    Cloak : -
    Right Hand : uncursed quarterstaff (+0, 1d10+1) [40s]
    Left Hand : -
    Right Ring : uncursed ring of searching [1s]
    Left Ring : uncursed ring of cold resistance [1s]
    Bracers : -
    Gauntlets : -
    Boots : uncursed sandals [+0, +2] [6s]
    Missile weapon: -
    Missiles : -
    Tool : blessed torch [10s]

Stuff

Total weight: 347 stones Carrying capacity: 1100 stones

Boots ('[')
    blessed leather boots [+0, -2] [25s]
    Missile weapons ('}')
    uncursed short bow (+1, +0) [20s]
    Tools (']')
    uncursed box with flint and steel (33) [5s]
    uncursed tinderbox (13) [3s]
    Wands ('\')
    uncursed wand of digging (3 charges) [3s]
    Potions ('!')
    potion of holy water [4s]
    uncursed potion of water [4s]
    uncursed potion of cure poison [2s]
    Scrolls ('?')
    heap of 3 uncursed scrolls of identify [6s]
    uncursed scroll of gold detection [2s]
    Food ('%')
    uncursed loaf of elven bread [3s]
    blessed large ration [200s]
    uncursed loaf of bread [40s]
    Valuables ('$')
    3020 gold pieces [30s]

Weapon Skills

Melee weapon Lvl Hit Dam DV Level Required marks
    --- --- --- --

Unarmed fighting 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 24
    Daggers & knives 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 24
    Clubs & hammers 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 24
    Maces & flails 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 24
    Swords 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 24
    Axes 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 24
    Whips 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 24
    Pole arms 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 24
    Twohanded weapons 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 24
    Staves 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 3

Missile weapon Lvl Hit Dam Ra Level Required marks
    --- --- --- --

Slings 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 14
    Bows 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 14
    Crossbows 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 14
    Thrown axes & hammers 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 14
    Thrown daggers 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 14
    Thrown rocks & clubs 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 14
    Thrown spears 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 14
    Boomerangs & scurgari 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 14

Shields Lvl DV Level Required marks
    --- ---

Shields 0 +0 unskilled 30

Damage caused with your melee weapons:
    Right hand: +5 bonus to hit, 1d10+1 damage

Damage caused with your missile weapons:
    No missile weapons available.

Skills

Alchemy .............. 64 (good) [+3d5]
    Climbing ............. 33 (fair) [+3d3]
    Concentration ........ 80 (great) [+3d3]
    Dodge ................ 32 (fair) [+2d4]
    First aid ............ 46 (fair) [+2d4]
    Haggling ............. 27 (mediocre) [+3d4]
    Healing .............. 43 (fair) [+2d4]
    Herbalism ............ 38 (fair) [+4d5]
    Listening ............ 44 (fair) [+3d4]
    Literacy .............100 (superb) [+2d4]
    Stealth .............. 31 (fair) [+3d3]
    Ventriloquism ........ 25 (mediocre) [+3d4]

Spells

Cure Light Wounds: 690, 5pp (Effectivity: +1)
    Fire Bolt : 720, 9pp (Effectivity: +6)
    Light : 671, 3pp (Effectivity: +3)
    Strength of Atlas: 552, 10pp (Effectivity: +0)

His achievements during his adventures:

Arowan, the gray elven wizard, got his head smashed by a stone block.
    He scored 6535 points and advanced to level 5.
    He survived for 0 years, 2 days, 15 hours, 3 minutes and 58 seconds (2721
    turns).
    Arowan visited 6 places.
    His strength score was modified by +1 during his career.
    His toughness score was modified by +1 during his career.
    He ended his adventuring life in a sinister dungeon on level 4.
    51 monsters perished under his attacks.
    He possessed the following intrinsic:
    He was cold resistant (gained through an item).
    He had the following talents: Charged, Potent Aura, Strong Aura.
    He had a final speed score of 102 (final base speed: 102).
    He was religious.
    He did not ask for divine help.
    He was neutrally aligned.

The following monsters were vanquished:
    1 bandit
    2 cutpurses
    1 floating eye
    1 giant bat
    1 giant centipede
    2 giant rats
    7 goblins
    2 goblin slavemasters
    1 hobgoblin
    4 kobolds
    2 kobold shamans
    4 large bats
    3 large kobolds
    1 lizard man
    2 orcs
    1 orc scorcher
    1 rabid dog
    7 raiders
    1 raider lord
    2 rats
    2 skeletons
    3 white worms

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Ah, ADOM. Truly the RPG of RPGs.

Had a lovely level 30 Mindcrafter there once, took ages (and quite a few reloads...) to get him that far, and then bad luck killed him off before I could save again. :(

Becoming a Champion of your faith is great fun, but I suggest becoming really close to your god without reaching Champion material and then praying. You often get a really powerful artifact as a gift. You can then try it again, or just become a champion and get eternally blessed, immune to fire, and get ANOTHER really cool artifact...

That reminds me, I must check for updates. The last one added a lovely D&D style feats system, any more advances made since then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Naar

No, Thomas Biskup is in limbo. I expect the next update on the 32nd of Never. (Well, next year sometime, at a guess.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

ADOM is hasn't been updated for awhile but the latest is 1.11. You can get run the linux version under windows using "ADOM Sage" and there is also a patch available to fix some bugs in 1.11.

Just tried an Gnome Elementalist and got as far as level 6 and died by a Ghoul this time.... Elementalists seem pretty cool actual. And deaths so sudden sigh!

Another attempt another character dies in ADOM... this time in the Infinite Dungeon. A High Elf Wizard gets smashed by a Red Troll Berserker 'T'. One swipe from the beast and my Hitpoints were floored to -15. ie Dead... Oh well, he lived for 9 game days and reached level 9. Shame...

Hmmm? Any cool race/combo suggestions? I'm going to try a Gnomish Priest this time. I'll have to win this time with God on myside. ;)

Hurthling assassins are a fun choice. They can end up quick as lightning, although they generally aren't that strong.

Dwarven priests are pretty tough, and you have a foot in the door with the Dwarven Mystic in the caverns of Chaos to boot. Mmm, Rolf's Companion...

• Advertisement

Also, mindcrafters get impressively powerful later on. If you can keep one alive for 8 or 9 levels (which usually means a LOT of running away!), they become fun. Mind Blast and Mind Wave are staggeringly powerful against living creatures. Taking on the undead is quite tough until you get good at weapons, or until you get the Telekinetic Blast at level 30...

I started playing there again, and it really struck me that version 1.1.1 is a lot tougher than the previous ones. Tougher monsters, mostly. Hard. But more rewarding, I suppose...

Elementalists are indeed cool, they gain spells with level increase, with burning hands, fire/ice bolt, fireball, and earthquake on the lower levels. Tunneling through rock becomes incredibly handy later on in the game...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Seem to remember that Troll healers were a very fun combination. Normally though I waited to see what the birthsign was and went with that more as a boost to strengths than an aid to weak points. Must start playing again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

is there a website with info about this game as ive been following this thread for a week now and i admit you have me curious!! :D

can you still buy the game in the shops? where can you get this game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Naar

http://www.adom.de. It's free (or, technically, postcardware).

• Advertisement

Sarky,

You got me going on the Mindcrafter idea. So far my character is up to level 8 and it's tough but now that I got Mind Blast after level 6. It's getting easier but I still have to treat the undead with care. Insane dead minds and all that....

It's a lot more fun by not save scumming but it means it will be a long time to go far in it. My best so far is a Dwaven Mage up to level 12. But I like the Mindcrafter now and I feel I will get far. It's just that corruption is such a pain and makes you keep moving. I have read the guide and wonder how long a genuine uninformed player would take to win. But the more I play this game the less important winning seems to be.

Since I got back into this (end of October) I have wasted 12 characters.

I try to vary my characters based on the starsign I end up with - ie I use a Wizard if I get the month "Wand" and a Mindcrafter for "Tree" and so on.

A lot to the game alright..... I'd be interested to hear about other characters that ye used. Any use the Bard? My pet keep on setting off traps! :)

**Warning** **Warning** spoilers mixed in with this ahead - Don't read ahead unless you've played ADOM quite a bit!

My Mindcrafter is now up to level 8 today with Kranach and the Carpenter quests completed. I'm thinking of going to the infinite dungeon for awhile before reaching level 10 and killing Holtzenplotz. I'm wondering what to do after that... head to CoC or head to the puppy cave? Probably safe to go int the Puppy cave after level 10? He's an human character using a stave.

Actually, my main question is this.... cursed item and how do *you* handle them?

I know you need water or water traps to remove metals rings and rune traps to remove clothes/glass amulets etc. What other ways can this
    be done - any easier on hands methods?

* Find some monsters that will do the above damage?
    * Play the game until you come to a trapped door? This is my usual method - such a pain....
    * Rarely use a scroll of uncurse or get your God to bless it (Pray).
    * Annoy your God ? Turn items to dust. Risky. :)

What a great game by the way.... I'm kicking myself that I didn't come across this game earlier - I only found this via a work colleague in 1999 - well past v 0.99 gamma15/16. Also I wished I had more free time for this. :)

I suppose in relation to the things above - do you guys risk putting on un-identified items or wait until you use an identity scroll or altar? I tend to risk it a lot in the early game...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

ok so i downloaded it .... tried it.... played it ......

erm its not bad actually i have to hand it to him ADOM isnt what i was expecting but its really quite addictive passes the wee hours away if your bored!!

i have no idea how you enter settlements atm but i know there is the readme online i'll get around to reading it sometime soon!!

the char gen is very very good!! im well impressed with that i havent played allot of the game sofar but from what ive seen its quite good! thumbs up from me

Use '>' to enter settlements. Start in Teyino and work from there. You will get a quest. Read the starter guide in the game. Type ? then M for manual.

You can get the keys instructions by going pressing ? then K.

Actually... here's an excellent guide. It's basically a recording of someone playing the game as a Bard with a pet and how to start in the game.

Go to the link ADOM extras link: http://www.aleph-null.com/adom/dload/extras.html

Here scroll down half way and look for "The 2 Survive tutorials". It will fast track learn the game for you. It is not spoily... more of just a introduction.

There are other ways to get rid of cursed items.

You can go up against a swordmaster or ratling fencer, and hope they disarm you.

You can find a scroll of uncursing. Literacy is VERY important. There are some powerful scrolls out there...

You can pray to your god. If you're in good standing with him, he'll uncurse one or more items. If he's really happy he'll uncurse everything, including you, if you're cursed or doomed. Getting in a god's good books takes time and many live sacrifices though. (wait until a creature steps on the alter and then type O. You'll sacrifice the creature alive. Much better than a corpse offering :) )

The puppy quest is ideally for early on, before about level 6. If you wait too long the puppy won't be alive when you get there... Although if you're going chaotic you can eat the corpse when you find it! :D

Advertisement