Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Connection Sharing

Options
  • 31-10-2003 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭

I have 2 pc's in my house with 2 internet connections, one connection is used for regular net use and downloading(always on wireless) and the other one is used for gaming(dial up isdn).

What i am trying to do is share both connections so that i can pick which one i want to use from eitehr pc. Each PC is connected to a seperate net connection (one isdn one wireless)

As it stands i can only get the network to share one of the connections, whereas i want to sahre both.

Any ideas on how i could do this? What software do i need because windows ics wont let me do it.

Ta

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'll tell you how I'd do it, but it may not work for you: rescue an old pentium out of a skip. Install a basic Linux distro on it (VectorLinux looks tasty). Install a LineControl server on it, and WLC client software on each PC. Connect both the ISDN and the Wireless to this box, and configure LineControl to use both. Set it to be the default gateway. When you want to connect to the net, use the WLC client to select which line you want to use.

This is how I'm managing my UTVipXL ISDN line at the moment: there are four client PCs in the house, and any of them can easily control the line in this way. It also logs online time and total traffic per month.

The other advantage is that you get to have a decent firewall/NAT/DHCP/DNS proxy etc instead of relying on Windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭marcphisto

if you were thinking of going that way i would strongly recommend smoothwall. i was using it for quite some time and found it to be perfect. it even intercepted a couple of worms that my windows machines weren't protected against (surprise surprise)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Smoothwall can only handle one internet connection, though - great firewall, but not quite what you're looking for, Truckle.

Advertisement