Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goodbye Quake. Welcome to the Dark Side.

Options
  • 06-09-1999 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭

3 Years of Quake has been really kewl. Ive been reading all
    the diferent web pages out there and its all Quake3Arena.
    Its time to make that jump.

A while back Zero came up with the idea of getting stuck into
    q3a from the beginning and I believe the time has come to do
    just that. So heres whats happening - Myself, Zero and Reaper
    (and 2 others) are setting up a q3a clan. Were gonna learn
    it, break it and master it till we can take on the best of
    them.

Id love to see other teams being formed. Hopefully it wont be
    the old quake1 or quake2 teams being transformed into the same
    q3a team, but a more refreshing mixture of teams and friends.

I myself love the lads from Incarnate and Id hate to see them
    go, but I, and like many others, need a new lease of quakedom
    and its here, its called Quake3Arena.

This doesnt mean goodbye in any fashion at all, expecially to
    my clan, but it does mean I will be focusing most of my game
    time to q3a (the rest is for starcraft and maybe the odd kickabout on q1 smile.gif

I remember playing quake at first and the buzz was amazing, I
    can feel that buzz starting to come back again, the thrill of
    just having fun. I look at the already out-there leagues and
    finals for q3a and I dont see any Irish names on the list.

Ive been at high level gaming competitions, I've met and
    played the best of them, and I know, with alot of practice,
    we can be as good the best. But I know if we dont move to q3a
    soon, were gonna be left in the dark again.

So there you have it, Im off to the wild new frontier of q3a.
    Will I see you on the dark side ??

[This message has been edited by MindPhuck (edited 06-09-99).]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

nethouse friday so smile.gif
    There might be another q3 clan made up of different people some old some new coming soon........

www.gibworld.com/chaos
    DK 0wns U

[This message has been edited by Chaos (edited 06-09-99).]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

we'll see ya soon so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Hi from ECTS, ignore Q3, UT is absolutely superior in every way. It is *the* most fun and innovative FPS game I've ever played. smile.gif

Have a look at:

http://www.qamex.com

Teeth.
    (who spent the weekend playing UT non-stop with the Epic guys! woohoo!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Yih UT rides poor quake3a like the late brendan smith would an altar boy....:/

yes yes yes but does it work over the net? and wheres our "evaluation" copies? smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Spoonman

It'll work over the net alright, if its anything like Unreal version 225 it'll be grand. Question is will q3 work over the net? it so bloody crap here, constant disconnections.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

i'm sorry, but the two games dont even compare.

UT is superior to Q3 in every way. Heres why:

It runs on a lower spec machine than Quake3, plus the graphics are nicer, and its tweakable beyon belief (you can actually input what framerate you want and UT adjusts detail levels dynamically). Its gameplay, longevity and weapon balance is unbelievably good. Each weapon has two modes of fire and there are tricks you can pull off with most of them. Plus you can hold two pistols at once al la matrix smile.gif

It ships with approximately 7 mods built in: pure DM, Team DM, CTF, Assault, Domination, Capture the flag, Last man standing and Darkmatch. With more to follow.

And its so much fun to play, some of the levels are insane smile.gif

Need i say more?...and trust me there is much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Have we lost the point of this thread ???? Q3Arena is where I see my future with a little bit of Quake on the off chance. I will mostly though be on the IGN Q3A servers!
    MP is so right in saying that if we dont make the move now we will be left in the same old same old of I'm not playing that game its too slow or the shaft isnt the same from Quake1 or the rail doesnt resemble the Quake2 one smile.gif The time for whinging is over and the time of transition is upon us.

Jimmy...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

wait til i put my voodoo3 through its paces and and run glMinesweep.

its better coz multi is more tactical yet at the same time, reckless moves can either lose or win you a game. you can change the colours of your flags, and you cn change the smiley face on the smilie (i have darth maul smile.gif)
    you dont need to bother with configs. packet lose is not a major issue. cl_dlighting will increase your fps by an incredible amount, but at the same time it doesnt effect the mood of the game. the minesweep bots are brill, they are all compatible with any grid, even ones you do yourself.
    apart from that i will play q3a and ut smile.gif

does any1 have laser squad for the pc by the way? even as part of an emulator. one of thebest top down stratagy games ever smile.gif

Shell of shotgun, Pint of gin
    Numb us up to shield the pins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

hmm...touché

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭mobius

Bravo Mr.MindPhuck,
    I'll be supporting Q3A all the way!
    Let us not live in the past, and ask not what your country can do for you, but what playing Quake3 will do to your shaft aim.

Get muppited at:
    http://www.gibworld.com/mobius

only reason why ppl will play q3a is not because its better than ut but its called "Quake"
    Notthing wrong with that though, ill probably do the same smile.gif
    long live Quake1 biggrin.gif!

www.gibworld.com/chaos
    DK 0wns U

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

it seems to me that all the q1ers are off to play q3a and all the q2ers are off to play Unreal T.
    I dunno there always seems to be a difference of opinion somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Yea bout eamo, can you play it over the net ? No fun on your own

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Right, I think the time has come to setup a glMsweeper clan.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

do you have laser squad pau?
    is it pc or amiga ?
    dont know about net, but i do know its two player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Saying that the Q1 players are off to play Q3 and the Q2 players are off to UT is completely inaccurate.

At TPF over the weekend, the Quake1 players were practically creaming themselves over UT. I was delighted to note that Lucifa, who was a hardcore QW player, was jumping for joy at the UT plasma cannon/shaft and rocket launcher - according to him (and a number of other q1 players there, "they're perfect!". There was nobody there who didn't think that it urinated all over Q3, with the possible exception of Sujoy, but then again he based that on 2 seconds of play or so... and even he liked it for the most part, afaics.

According to GreenMarine from Epic, the game is playable on pings of up to 400. They've been testing it very intensively on modem connections - they have people in Canada who dial up on modems and play on Epics server in the US to test connections, and they've reported very smooth net play.

As for your "evaluation copies", the warez that's floating about is about a month old, but still very good. The final is due shortly, and I for one won't be warezing it - it's a game that I know I'll play for a very long time, and it's well worth £35 of my cash. And yours.

Ja,
    Rob

[This message has been edited by Shinji (edited 08-09-99).]

"it urinated all over Q3"

correction

"it urinated all over Q3t"

i find it hard to believe someone in software is comparing a test release to a final product.

It's all we have to compare, Noel.

The fact is, Q3 is close - just about as close as UT. They'll be out within weeks of each other, most likely.

I know we haven't seen all the Q3 weapons and levels yet, but that isn't the point. The physics, the graphics, the weapons, the options, the actual basic gameplay concepts - UT beats it on all levels.

I'm not waiting with bated breath for Q3 final. They've fvcked up massively by taking input from the world, it's uncle and his dog over it. Trying to please everyone, Q3 has ended up an appalling mess that pleased nobody. In contrast, with UT community interest and support was initially so low that nobody made any input, leaving Epic to create the game THEY wanted to make - and ultimately, it seems, pleasing everyone.

Ja,
    Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

cool im buyin that game me!
    sunglasses.gif

• Advertisement

yes but is ut one of those games where the levels have no direction and the weaps are unreal? like the wepas in quake are some what realistic and weve come to love them. Levels in quake will allways rock. Quake3 might win cause its got these features....plus its called QUAKE!
    It will take alot to defeat that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Quake 3 = Quake 2 = ****.

Chaos...

I'm assuming from that post that you haven't even read any of the online previews of Unreal Tournament? And probably not even looked at screenshots?

Ahh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭DEATH

Lightning Gun Realistic eh?

sunglasses.gif

bah if you want realism move too america buy urself a few guns and go down to your local highschool

lol death wehhhh sunglasses.gif

And shinji yah i read them yah i saw the screenshots on lamex...they dont mean much untill you play the game do they?

www.gibworld.com/chaos
    DK 0wns U

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭earthworm_jim

Q3 is actually a lot further from a release version than UT.

Plus, we've only played Q3test which is a hardware test, not even close to a demo. They have the full game with all 50 or so levels somewhere in Id HQ. Presumably you guys played the full beta of UT?

That said - both games should be good fun. Sure we'll buy them both and see which one we keep coming back to play. Q1 is still the best though.

Well Chaos, if you've been following UT in previews etc, its kinda surprising that you know nothing about the levels or the weapons, isn't it?

Er... and as for saying that Q3 is a lot further from release than UT, Q3A is a Christmas release, and so is UT.

[This message has been edited by Shinji (edited 08-09-99).]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Donno,

This seems to be getting off the point I made . Ie, people who wish to keep playing Quake, should start to make a move to q3a real soon. Not a q3a v's ut converstation.

Maybe you nutt0rs should start a new tread under - 'quake2/tribes loosers move to UT' tongue.gif

Joking aside, I've heard that UT is good from some reliable people, sure, I never know myself, I might even start playing that to death, but I know one thing : I love q1, buts time to get a refreshing feel for gaming and it could be either Quake or UT.

Well See.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Erisian

Can we wait until UT is actually available before saying how much better than Q3A (or rather, Q3Test) it is?

I hear it's good - but I also hear that from people like Shinji, who have been attacking Q3A for a while now. There's nothing wrong with that, each to their own - the point is that there may be a large number of people (like the people who currently enjoy Q3Test) who will prefer Q3A to UT, and no amount of griping about the 'bad' physics in Q3A is going to change that...

Personally, I think Q3A is an excellent game. Maybe I'll be blown away by UT when I finally get to play it, and if so then cool. But for now, Q3test is the biz, and I for one will be glad to see MindPhuck (and anyone else!) playing on the IGN Q3 servers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Just read the review for UT in Pc Format (100th edition with free balloon, mousemat and fresbee. woooo!)
    They just lurve it, giving it 92%.
    They also say the min recommendation system is 200mmx, 32 meg, 3d card. Which basically describes my PC sad.gif

muuuustt buuuuuuuuy......

Advertisement