Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goodbye Quake. Welcome to the Dark Side.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

yup Q3 is great fun.

over a lan with your mates after a few beers smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

is it worth spending say 160/170 quid to buy say

64 ram
    vodoo3 2000

for my celery 400 system so i can play q3t and UT !

well IS IT !

IS IT !

maybe a new HD or deletion of mp3's would be on da cards to store all those games !

yes no WHO KNOWS

YES

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭mobius

YES, it's bloody well worth it.
    I'd recomend though, that you get the AGP Voodoo3 (3000 or 3500), so you can use the highres textures.
    If your motherboard doesn't support AGP, just sell it to the knackers, they might give you an old washing machine for it. smile.gif

PAH!...celeron...BOOOOO!

Get muppited at:
    http://www.gibworld.com/mobius

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

I havent seen UT yet, but if it is considered "playable" on a 400 ping, its not worth playing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I consider Quake3 "playable" on a 300-400 ping. Not "great", but "playable". As long as it's a solid ping, you can have a decent enough game on it versus other HPBs.

Thats what they mean by "playable".

Ja,
    Rob

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Geebee

This post has merged into a UT verus Q3 war. This is because of the push eric has put in for q3 yet some people think that q3 will not be the multiplayer game of the next two years.

The brand name is going to be a big thing in deciding that, personally I would have said UT couldn't win it...

I think I'm pretty qualified in deciding if UT has the right buzz. I haven't played quake in years, I basically missed the end of the q1 days and all of the q2 days. Recently I played duel q3t on a lan and I enjoyed myself plenty, theres lots of fun to be had for sure, but most recent spate of gaming was one night during the ects when I played the epic lads and some uk big names (nightwing, hakeem). Alright so enough name dropping. I never felt such a buzz in a long time, I came second in my group and was second to hakeem in the semifinal for 1/2 the match (unfortunately fuppen it up towards the end.. way down the list). Qamex team beat epic and the cybercafe people in a ctf match (the epic one went on for ages.. ask Dr_Teeth.. was mentol).

The feel is quake1, but the strategy is good enough for q2'ers. The levels are good and the weapons are very sound. Get two enforcers (handguns, starting weapon, not enough on its own) and you can even take on guys with rocket launchers, plasma guns (feels so much better than the q3 one) and sniper rifles. Every weapon doubles up with a second function fire which makes loads of difference to how you think... its basically having two different weapons for different situations at the one time.. speeds up the game.

q3test won't give quake one people what they are looking for .. thats for sure, UT will.

I did get a buzz of UT, but then that maybe attributed to the enviornment in which I played it.

IF ANYONE DARES CALL QAMEX LAMEX AGAIN.. I'LL BE BASHING HEADS.

Greenbean

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I really couldn't be arsed reading all that.

Basically, I'm looking forward to Q3A. Call me any kind of muppet you want, but I like the test (except for the time-limits on jumping, but I let id know what I fell about that myself).

UT looks great, and by all accounts plays great. I'm also really looking forward to getting my hands on that too.

You can't compare one to the other until we've got final release on both.

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    homepage.tinet.ie/~davitt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

....considered "playable" on a 400 ping, its not worth playing
    If I understand this correct Koopa then if a game has good netcode, and HPB's can play grand, its not worth playing? er what?

Lads, people will play quake 3 and ppl will play UT. We will think 'our' game is the best. IMHO quake is ugly, old and tired, but thats my opinion other ppl disagree, seeing lads on K7's with 32 meg TNT2's in London with quake in software mode said it all for me. I read somewhere that koopa plays 5 or 6 hours a day at times - with so much time put into a game it is hard to move on. My example is Sujoy, who at ECTS who did not like UT after exactly 3 seconds of game play on brits silly config, he said and I quote..
    ..dont like it because it is different from quakeworld
    I, myself dont get it, its a stupid reason. Nothing wil be like quake 1 ever again, get on with life, move on (like MP and the lads are). But then again I have not played quake for 3 years and 6 hours a day either.

Getting back to MP's point it is great that ppl will move on. Im not going to further blabber on about the what I think of UT, I have made that clear. All I wil say that IMHO when ppl play UT I think they will play a lot more. I will let the game do the talking.

Fair play top MP and most of the quake 1 crowd for moving on getting with the times and I look foward to killing all you all in UT smile.gif

[This message has been edited by tHE vAGGABOND (edited 10-09-99).]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

a) you're talking out of your ***** smile.gif
    b) koopa barely plays quake anymore
    c) i think he meant that if its playable at 400ping it must be stupidly slow and dull. Nothing to do with network code. if you can half half a second lag more than someone else and still be playable then the game must move like ****ing treacle
    And ppl playing it in software mode is a bad thing? FFs doesnt that show how good it was? I have a tnt p2 450 and i play software. Its the gameplay not the graphics that make the game, unreal 1 was beautful and most ppl agree it sucked huge amounts of c0ck at netplay(till they fixed it).
    I'm looking forward to ut and all, but saying quake is crap because its old is just dumb. Unless of course graphics is all thats important in a game...
    Q

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

is UT better than q3 over CAT6 cable?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

well said greg!

by the way, I meant that no matter how good the netcode is, you cant remove the 400ms lag before firing.. which in my opinion will ruin any game, because the game now revolves around how much better one player knows his high ping lamer tactics than the other player. Tactics in a game change totally when both players can hit each other every single time...

Advertisement