Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC wont boot:/

• 01-11-2003 2:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭

Just got all the parts today,

All brand new,
    k7s5a Pro motherboard
    2000xp
    256 pc 2700 ddr
    GF4 mx
    80gb h/d

It wont boot, i tried diff gfx card, ram still nothing,

It has to be the cpu me is thinkin but i have no other socket A to test it..
    Anything else i shud try b4 i send it back??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Are they brand new parts? Did you reset the Bios?
    Is it even POSTing? Any beeps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Originally posted by milltown
    Are they brand new parts? Did you reset the Bios?
    Is it even POSTing? Any beeps?

Yes, what exatly happens when you press the power button.

What power/Brand is your PSU. Any beeping? Is the PSU swithced on:D ?

What makes you think its the CPU. I think BIOS can let you know if the CPU is the problem(can someone confirm that)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

what power supply cartman? recently had a problem with one. the powersupply was brand new, (chieftec 360w ). There was something wrong with it and couldn't power my machine (still waiting for word back on it). The generic noname 230w powersupply that origionaly came with the box is now powering my rig :). Give a different powersupply a try.

-edit- beh dempsy got in there before me, ..... must sleep. -edit-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I agree. Check those Chieftec PSUs. Mine died on me about two weeks ago for no reason. Power was still going to the HDD and CD-Rom/DvD but when I switched it on I got nothing but beeps. Ended up replacing my mobo, ram and CPU before finding it was actucully PSU. Cost me a ****load trying to find out what it was.

Dude, check the PSU first. Try a differant PSU in the box before anythign else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

Sorry,
    It powers up fine, Cathodes come on, cd drives spin but no feckin beep, i dont have a sound speaker on the case so i wouldnt hear a beep anyways but i cant get the keyboard flash:/

its annoyin:/
    gotta get it up fast aswell

there all new parts. The PSU came with the case, forget the name of it but it works...

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Ya wont know whats wrong until you connect a speaker and see what the mobo beeps

I tested the 2000xp in this machine[3200xp] and it worked fine..
    Then i thought it would be the psu so i switched and still no go so i think its the mobo..
    Ill get a rma on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by cartman
    Sorry,
    It powers up fine, Cathodes come on, cd drives spin but no feckin beep, i dont have a sound speaker on the case so i wouldnt hear a beep anyways but i cant get the keyboard flash:/

its annoyin:/
    gotta get it up fast aswell

there all new parts. The PSU came with the case, forget the name of it but it works...

:(

That was the eact same problem as I was having. All my Cathodes come on and my CD Roms would spin and my speaker would beep and my hard drives would spin and the fans would go twirly....

I was amazed that it was actucully the PSU but it was. I installed a new mobo and cpu and ram under the old PSU and it still didnt work. Through in a new PSU and it just worked grand, no problems. Trust me, its probably the PSU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Yeah, make sure you check it with a different power supply, had the exact same prob as winters. Was this close -->.<-- to ordering a new processor.
    I could hear it booting, there were NO beeps and it stalled at the intalising processor stage (d-brackets come in handy :))

well iv got good news and bad...

I put the 3200 into the new mobo and it worked, so then i put the 2000xp back quickly and it WORKED!!!!
    got into bios restarted installed windows xp, all perfect,

went out to a mundy gig, came back about a half hour ago and clicked power, it got into bios went to windows bootup screen then just a black screen,??? restarted it same thing, turned it off,
    switched it back on, NOTHING.... the cathodes flickered.....

and nothing since, i am very pissed of at it and im leaving it alone for a hour or 2 but also then went and tried a different PSU thinkin "****int iv blown it " , still nothing....

wtf is this machine doing?!??!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭davil

Well first of all it doesn't look like you've tried the higher rating power supply as you've been advised, which is the first thing I would try to do.

Next on my list is the fact that it's booting now but you're getting a black screen - looks like a possible software problem now. My friend had a similar black screen trouble.

I presume you've tried holding F8 on boot and going into safe mode???? See if you can do this. also what MAKE of Graphics card have you got and which drivers are you using? If it's Gainward I've seen some terrible drivers come with the cards. I would use the detonator drivers first if you can get them off the net or a cd + remember to get some sort of detonator cleaner, such as "driver cleaner", to remove the current drivers completely before installing new drivers.

Of course this is only if all of this is a software problem.

BTW you said it was working, you went out, and came back and it ain't working now. How many times did you reboot after reinstalling windows and did you try any games while it was booting??? Sorry about the 20 questions but I might be able to help you as I have experience of a lot of black screens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭marrakesh

crap didnt read entire post !

Advertisement