Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F Zero GX

Options
  • 01-11-2003 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭

Got it last night. I'm kind of in two minds about it. I expected to get through the easy cup without much difficulty, but the game is very punishing. If you hit the wall or a competitor, someone is guaranteed to pass you out.

And I know its going to get harder.

For each cup, you have to spend at least 10 or 15 mins on EACH practice track to learn them off before you have even half a chance on the cups.

On the plus side, its bloody fast, music is good, its ALOT of fun to play... And I can see from the Title screen demos that some of the later tracks are fantastic.

Definitely worth adding to your cube collection.

- Dave.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

bought it today in smyths, (the game is very difficult to find in blanch, only 2 copies in smyths) and it is bloody excellent indeed, i adored the snes version and found the n64 version very disapointing however this gc version is top class, im not too sure about the music tho, i loved the music in the snes version alot more. the game is insanely fast and more fun than the wipeout series, only pld an hour of this so far, so far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I take back what I said.... after a few more games, I breezed through the first cup in first place. Its just a matter of getting used to it.

- Dave.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I found the controls hyper responsive at first but after I beat the first championship I was well used to them. I love all the F-zero games and this could be my favourite so far. It's really challenging. I'm still trying to survive the half-pipe level and I haven't even tried going past novice yet. The only bad thing I noticed was the lack of detail in the 4-player mode but this is only really noticable on the organic levels and it's implemented so that the GC can still turf out 60 fps in 4 split screens.

I usually hate racing games especially realistic Gran Turismo type games but I always love Sega and Nintendos arcady games. I don't see the point i them when arcady racers require so much skill and the other games require you to pick the fastest car and bounce off walls to the finish.

Less than 2 weeks to Mario Kart :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Its fan-freakin-tastic! I got it last night, its everything i expected and more. The graphics are amazing and its just so unbelievably fast... got through the first cup the first time i played but the pipe track in the sapphire cup is pretty damn hard, managed to waste the 5 spare machines all on that track the first time I played it! Played a bit of the 2 player mode as well, it rocks to an insane degree. I hadnt played any of the f-zero games before, but this is unbelievable. And only 13 days to mario kart now! Thank god for nintendo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

played the demo earlier, finished in 21st:(
    definitely going to pick this up after crimbo tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭deadduck

great game, my favourite f-zero yet, considering the dissapointment that was f-zero x

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just beat the half pipe level. Don't know if I can repeat the feat though. The next level, ordeal, is one of the best. Now I just have to make my way up to master mode and get the other two championships.

The story mode challenges are right whores to beat. It's obvious that the team behind the similarly frustrating monkey ball made this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I want this game I want this game I want this game I want this game I want this game I have no money :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Been playing it for the last two months.. still haven't managed to complete the last two GP's on master mode. Story mode aswell is extremely difficult. After breaking my back completing it for the first time I almost fainted realising there are 'hard' and 'very hard' story modes too :eek: You should try beating the staff ghosts in time trial mode. Can't even beat the one on the first bloody track! Haven't tried TT mode that often though.

Wonder if they gave you any new features in the PAL version.

From what I heard the only difference is the absence of theprogressive scan mode in the PAL version. Thankfully the widescreen mode is still there so nobody looks fat on my beautiful widescreen tv.

Thankfully all the unlockables from the arcade version are unlockable normally but getting them is very difficult. Expect Fzero AX to reach Dr. Quirkies or any irish arcade a full year and a half after release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭deadduck

dunno if anyone else is having this problem, but on the 3rd. chapter of the story mode, where the old guy asks you to race, after a few retries the sound just stops completely. the game continues, but absoloutely no sound. for a minute i thought the speakers on my telly were ****ed, but no, was the game. if i try to reset, the game freezes, have to switch off and back on. not a huge prob., but a pain in the hole none the less.

Didn't happen with my copy although I didn't retry that level too much since I got sick of it and turned it off then came back and blitzed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Len_007

Here lads, I can't even get past the 1st chapter on hard yet, what's going on?

Because its hard! :)

To get to Chapter 2, you have to finish Chapter 1 on normal difficulty, and then you can buy it in the shop (I think it costs 15 tickets)

- Dave.

Chapter 1 is the least of your worries. I beat it on my first go but come chapter 2 I was swearing at the tv. I'm not looking forward to the hard difficulties of the story mode.

Easiest way to beat Chapter 2 is to
    Catch up to Samurai as quickly as possible (usuing boosts), and push him off the cliff! Then sit back and enjoy the rest of the level....

- Dave.

I wish you told me that on friday. I beat him by a millisecond by boosting near the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Or just tune your racer to have maximum speed and minimum acceleration. Boost at the start and at the end and you should be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

:eek: what can i say about this game! jaw dropping speed & visuals, fantastic controls and playability and that just " one more go " feeling perfected to a T.

im stuck on the chapter where the old man asks you to race. jesus i just cant win always second! anyone got an tips/techniques for this?

Theres definatly life in the ol' Cube :D

must go play F-Zero

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Must buy it this weekend so, was waiting to see if it was any good, sounds a bit good from you lot!

am just truddling through metroid prime at the moment, its some game!

anybody get viewtifull joe? meant to be good but dunno whether to get it or not!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I was in HMV in town and checked out the F-Zero GX box. Having the NTSC version already, I was suprised at the inclusion of "Link your memory card up to F-Zero AX" [or something like that] on the back of the case. This was nowhere on my copy, maybe Nintendo and/or Sega have gone against their idea of not releasing the game to the West as that looked pretty convincing.

Amazing game by the way.

Originally posted by f®eak_s©enery
    I was in HMV in town and checked out the F-Zero GX box. Having the NTSC version already, I was suprised at the inclusion of "Link your memory card up to F-Zero AX" [or something like that] on the back of the case. This was nowhere on my copy, maybe Nintendo and/or Sega have gone against their idea of not releasing the game to the West as that looked pretty convincing.

Amazing game by the way.
    Pity F-Zero AX isn't anywhere in Ireland... and if it ever gets here, it'll probably only be in Dr. Quirkeys in Dublin........ As far as I know, its just a short cut for unlocking some of the features on the cube version.

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Check your NTSC box again there freak, cause it says Link to AX on mine. It'd be interesting to bring the memory card into the arcade.. pity our arcades suck :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Originally posted by Swifty
    Check your NTSC box again there freak, cause it says Link to AX on mine.

Really? I have the Canadian version so that information must have been removed to extensively facilitate two languages (English/French).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Got it yesterday Joe in one hand F Zero in other ,twas a conundrum indeed.

My eyes hurt :D

kdjac

whoooo finally got it , and wow , great game , visuals are fantastic with a really good steady framerate , currently have done the first cup on novice and standard , second on novice and am on the 3rd part of the story

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Celtic Tiger

Had it for a week now, pure class :)

4 multiplayer is pure ownage :D

done the first 2 on novice , standard and expert only done 3rd on novice , is there a 4th cup ? Also I rekon we should have a boards time trial leaguey thing , comparing times using screenyS ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

There is a 4th cup, its called the diamond cup.
    you have to win the 1st 3 cups on standard mode to unlock it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Zukustious

Got the game on Sunday and it rules so freakin' much! I've mostly been playing the hilarious story mode. Oh the corny lines/evil laughter is unbelievable.

It's very like the N64's F-Zero X which has to be one of my favourite games. I guess this one's gonna go in the list too. I don't really like the way R+L no longer make the racer ram left and right. This whole using the X button to ram's gonna take some getting used to.
    I'm on the 9th chapter where you race the gods of the universe to keep hold of your soul. This is just after defeating Lord Death in the Grand Prix of the underworld. In order to stop him from incinerating the galaxy and leaving it in ashes. It's so freakin hard! But the mega-ridiculous plot is worth trying over and over and over.

Advertisement