Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where next??

Options
  • 01-11-2003 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭

Some months ago, on the advice of a thread here, I took the plunge and chose Asheron's Call 2 as my first MMORPG. 5 months later, I can safely say I've never enjoyed a game as much as this, and only now am I starting to grow a little bored with it. The Asheron world seems to be loosing people and I've decided I want to try something new.

So, can I get any suggestions as to what a good follow up would be?. I don't mind waiting a while for anything new to come out, i.e. EQ2 or maybe FFXI. I'll admit that I'm a little shallow when it comes to how pretty the game is, I've a new PC and like things to be flashy, hence my selection of AC2.

So, there we go. Any ideas?.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Vader

Halo for the PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

Originally posted by Vader
    Halo for the PC?
    halo would suck as a massively multiplayer game imo. imagine trying to rack up experience just so you can drive a warthog. ewwww

anyway, back to the topic. something flashy and new. thats either Dragon Empires or World of Warcraft. both titles are not due untill 2004 but that doesnt mean you wont get into the beta test. ;) just make sure you sign up with your latest info at their websites (tell them you're a student with lots of time on your hands).

im about to try the free Planeshift game. it cant hurt since its free and mmorpg.

adnans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

planeshift in its current state isnt worth it adnans

no combat no magic
    3dworld is buggy and slow, and theres rarely more then 8 or 9 people playing it.

free game to try muonline.com

or if you are a fan of fps games take a look at
    www.neocron.com

or theres always face of mankind whenever they decide to open a beta :D

warhammer online and dragon empires look juicy tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Well the beta testers for FF online are not giving great reports about it.

SWG is fun but very short term fun as there is very little to do in it.

WOW is ment to be a damm solid game but is still a good while off. The cartoony style gfx really turn me off tho :(

Horizons looks awsome, hell you can play a dragon in it. Good GFX and early beta reports say its very polished. Due for release in Dec.

Warhammer Online is one I really am looking forward to and hope they dont bollocks it up.

EQ2 pass. SoE have proven with the releases of both SWG and Planet Side that they are happy to release a majorly unfinished game. I'll be dammed if I ever play one of there games as well. It also has that gob****e Ralph Kostner on the team now and he is the kiss of death for fun in all the games he has gotten he poxy little hands on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

i've been keeping an eye on most of the upcoming MMORPGs but what saddens me is the lack of any rpg that has a good balance between pvp and pve. Most are far too carebare.

Even WoW has gone down the route of practically ignoring PvP
    same goes for Dragon Empires :(

Both games that I was looking forward to

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

Dragon Empires or World of Warcraft

Yus, looking forward to these!

Originally posted by Memnoch
    i've been keeping an eye on most of the upcoming MMORPGs but what saddens me is the lack of any rpg that has a good balance between pvp and pve. Most are far too carebare.

Even WoW has gone down the route of practically ignoring PvP
    same goes for Dragon Empires :(

Both games that I was looking forward to

PvP is always going to suck in MMORPGs. It dosent matter if its a class or skill based game, the PvP will always be as basic as can be. Most players want balance and dislike the idea of other players being able to kick them silly without much effort, even tho some class/skill's are much harder to master or advance in.

From UO through EQ up to SWG it has always been the cry babies who dont know the first thing about PvP and how to do it, that cry for nerfs on the official forums. Sadly most Dev teams cave in to these swines and thus the game is ruined.

What ever else can be said for EQ and its "Vision" the point blank refusal of the Dev team around the time of the Kunark expansion to listen to such cry babies, along with there blunt "this is how were going to do things, deal with it" did make the game far more interesting to play. Now all there idea's were great but they did see the overall picture.

The latest in the current batch of MMORPGs seem to just listen to the whingers on the offical forums and swing the nerf bat to pander the crowd. These then Devs and cry babies are at a loss to explain why so many of the player base is leaving in droves. SWG and PS are prime examples of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Venom - yes good point. If you look at the MMORPGs coming out there are so so many, and it seems there is practically nothing different about them except cosmetics.

Different race "skills" "Lore" but at the end of the day its just the same game play. Kill monsters, get exp/skill/ get loot formula that so many games are following. Why anyone would want to play start and pay to play a new game when there are already so many offering the same thing baffles me.

Ofc there are always the fanbois ala SWG and WoW. But I want something more, and tbh I'm happy to wait till there is a game that has atleast decent PvP in it...
    so far a few ones that look decent are
    Lineage 2, Dark and Light and Darkfall online.

Ur right, most MMO's are being ruined by newbs who have no idea what an MMO is. DAOC had lots of PvP and was a huge success, yet Mythic have decided to make their upcoming MMORPG a PvE only game? What gives.

Oh well, I think in time things will sort themselves. There are only so many MMO subscribers to go around, and all these new PvE only games will be competing for smaller and smaller pieces of the pie as their numbers increase. The thing about MMORPGs is that they are so time consuming that most players won't pay a monthly subscription for more than 1 game at a time. I know I won't.

Heres to hoping.

Btw I heard what happened to PS, but I didn't think this was also the fate of SWG?

I was there too, on the message boards, watching SWG go down the drain.. first the PvP then the Single char per server fiasco and on and on, eventually I just gave up and moved on. I have to admit I was kinda dissapointed (evil I know) when the doom and gloom I predicted for SWG never came to pass. Guess my predictions still might come true! :p

I never had a problem with the 1 character per server as it stops alot of people acting the maggot with one character and they logging on there main character so they didnt have to deal with any payback from there victims.

The crybabies have ruined SWG. All the class's bar CH are borked and even with the coming nerfs, CH will still be the most powerfull class. Other class's from pistoleers, riflemen and bounty hunters are just not fun to play due to the amount of issues with the class's. Then there are the class's like cheif,droid engeneer that are just not working at all.

They fact that the made the whole game center around trade skills means the only way to get good weapons is to pay a fortune to a crafter, and alot of the top crafters on lowca have left due to bordom. It also means that there in no reasion to go hunt the higher level mobs as there is no loot drops. No loot = nothing to do for most players when the max out there chosen skills and this = move onto another game.

Iv just logged in my 2,4,4,4 Bounty Hunter for about half an hour over the last few days to refresh my house and solar collectors, due to there being nothing for me to do in the game :( Soon I will just not bother to log in at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

World of Warcraft baby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

Originally posted by Venom
    Iv just logged in my 2,4,4,4 Bounty Hunter for about half an hour over the last few days to refresh my house and solar collectors, due to there being nothing for me to do in the game :( Soon I will just not bother to log in at all.
    May want to hold on to your BH, mate.
    With jedis now in the game, its been confirmed that BHs with investigation 3 or higher can take bounties on them(150K reward).
    I'll have to wait a while for jedis to appear, as my BH is on Tempest(one of the newer servers) ...I almost pity any jedi logging on to find a couple of dozen BHs on their tail even before the intro screen has finished loading :D

Originally posted by Jilm
    May want to hold on to your BH, mate.
    With jedis now in the game, its been confirmed that BHs with investigation 3 or higher can take bounties on them(150K reward).
    I'll have to wait a while for jedis to appear, as my BH is on Tempest(one of the newer servers) ...I almost pity any jedi logging on to find a couple of dozen BHs on their tail even before the intro screen has finished loading :D

I cant see player bounties making it into the game till sometime next year and even then whats the point. The BH class has been nerfed so badly that taking out a Jedi will just not be possable. The 150k bounty might as well be 10 billion as creds in SWG are worthless. Iv amased the best part of 2 million creds in the month and a bit Iv been playing, along with a Med House, 8 Solar collectors, full ST armor, full 86% Comp and every other armor set in the game just for house decoration, uber weapons of every discription and enough kryat tissues to make another 20 of them.

Iv finished all the theme parks I can and there is nothing now for me to do in the game after playing it for a month! Roll on Horizons and Warhammer online.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭kipple

Released in the US and getting good reviews, see

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/555735.asp

Advertisement