Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ignorant mod pt 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

Good man, Gordon. I like the way you never take things too seriously.

Utility - don't disappoint me ok!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by Sangre
    What a load of cráp.
    I was just pointing out why I would think he was banned. And as I said I would not agree with pre-emptive bannings.

Doesn’t change the fact that I can understand where they’re coming from even if I don’t concur with their actions and that utility_ has a serious Jekyl and Hyde thing going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Originally posted by Gordon
    Sangre and ColinM shut yer jabberknackins and comply. COMPLY!

You just scared me a little bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by ColinM
    Incidentally, Merc, all your posts I see these days contain nothing but the rolleyes emoticon.

I know how cutting you find that particular smiley, so I guess you must mean it to be particularly disparaging. What's the story though? Have you broken your fingers or something? Are you now reduced to posting with a special wand and find typing takes too much effort? Maybe you're just going for a record of most consecutive posts where you don't actually type one word?

I suppose at the same time you are being fairly articulate though!

Hey, I hope you don't mind me calling you Merc, by the way. I don't mean to be over familiar. I still don't know you.

:rolleyes:

.logic.

Ya smartass!
    I shouda seen that one coming!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I wont comment on the cs forum, because that board just plain brings out the worst in people.

Well that would depend on the people in question being multifaceted.... Utility is just a twat and we'll need to live with that until he grows the **** up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

/me shuts jabbernackers.

Ahhh much better.

NOICE!!

¬_¬

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

This thread is not serious enough to be taken seriously!.

P.

Fun and games aside, I'd still like to get an official comment from one of the 'powers that be' so to speak, on what their opinion is about a mod banning somebody "Not because of anything he said, but just because he exists".

Also on Gordons behaviour of throwing threats of bannings around in a thread which didn't actually involve him directly.

If you think that's the way in which mods should behave, then that's fine, it is your forum after all. I'd like to know either way.

btw thanks to Celt, ColinM and Sangre for taking a stance which they thought was right, and not just hopping on the bandwagon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

ooooh look at us, we slag people on the internet.

ooooh look at the amazing power i yield, i can BAN people from boards.ie!!!

lads, its an internet site, quit the pissing contest, its getting embarrassing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

/me adds ferdi to "People who I'm going to have to supress" list in diary.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ferdi, only admins can ban people from here and none have offered an opinion on this thread.

Let me just tell you all what happens when someone complains about a mod. I'll review the users post history and their posts on various boards to get an idea of their past. If I'm happy with the ban I'll let it go.

I'm im undecided about a ban I'll ask one of the other admins for their advice or I'll ask all the admins if they have had to deal with this user before. Usually they are fairly clear cut cases but that system sure works for me.

If I disagree with the ban I'll ask the Mod to point out where they think the user overstepped the mark. I'll look for warnings or previous admonishments to the user, though to be fair we've had to have a Zero Tolerance approach to the CS board because of the incredible number of total knobs it can generate.
    If the Mod is still set on his ban after all my not incosiderable ability to negotiate a settlement, then I'll consider this:

Has this mod a history of being unfair? If so, is it time to replace him/her? Is this user sufficently in the right to warrant a full Admin Intervention and reverse the mods decision?

So, thats what I go through when someone complains about the mods. Now, Utility_, LTM didnt ban you because you exist. Thats just LTM's way of putting things very very bluntly. He banned you because some of your posts are unhelpful childish and annoying. He could have been more tactful of course, but then he could also have a better singing voice but you cant have everything.

On the other hand there are posts where you are reasonable, helpful and frankly a completely different person. They have not been on the CS board it should be pointed out.

Its taken me this long to respond simply because I WAS THINKING. It takes time to review these things and I was trying to talk to LTM about it too as I always talk to Mods about complaints.

If you think LTM and I are best buddies you might want to ask around. He and I have gone at each other before but I respect what he's done for the CS community and while not everyone likes the Zero Tolerance approach, it has stemmed the tide of CS muppets.

You asked for feedback? Ok, I think LTM should have been more mature about his message to you but then again thats his way of doing things. I think you arent the angel you claim to be. I think you should stay out of CS and post on other boards as I dont think it brings the best out in you.

I disagree with pre-emptive banning but we've never had a case of it before so the rules were never laid down and I can easily see how some Mods might go for it to head off trouble. We'll set a guideline for it in the Mod forum soon.

So theres you're feedback. Happy? Sigh... no, of course you arent ... :(

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I would love to know how LTM feels after being deservedly banned from the Ireland Offline Forum. He acted just as bad as Utility has ever acted and this was after this thread was opened. Grow up LTM.

Originally posted by DeVore
    So theres you're feedback. Happy? Sigh... no, of course you arent ... :(

Actually I'm pretty content with that response. If you look you'll see that lately I had hardly been posting in the CS forum at all - like I said, it was the principle of the whole scenario. I just wanted to bring the behaviour of "LTM" to your attention.
    I do agree that the CS forum brings out the worst in people though. Actually scrap that, it brings out the worst people full stop. An asshole mod for an asshole job? perhaps...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Actually after reading the milkshake thread I would of banned you off boards as a pre-emptive move.

You almost killed a person and then had the nerve to come on and brag about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by Hobbes
    Actually after reading the milkshake thread I would of banned you off boards as a pre-emptive move.

I totally agree. The milkshake thread really pissed me off (which I'm sure would delight utility as I think that was his aim). As hobbes said you could have killed someone and then you post on boards to brag about it.

Actually after reading the milkshake thread I would have banned you from boards as a pre-emptive move.

Look-it lads, there is a principle involved here, and it's along the lines of the real world tenet that you cannot imprison somebody for a crime that they may commit in the future (cf. Minority Report).

As Devore has already said, this has not come up before here, but he also feels that a moderator should not ban someone from a forum because of something he or she might post.
    Any moderator who does is not the right kind of moderator.

I disagree.

Normally when I was about to ban someone I would check thier history. If they were shown to be a muppet they got a ban otherwise they just got the post nuked where they are acting the muppet.

No, you don't disagree.
    What you're talking about there is banning someone after they have given you sufficient reason to do so (with respect to the particular forum you moderate).
    It's up to an admin to make a judgement call on an overall ban from the site, based on past behaviour.

And if you read back you would see the mod in question did check up on them before banning.

• Advertisement

There's another point about this:
    The content of the "help a bro out" post made you feel that Utility was a bad person, and that's why people want to preemptively ban him.

To put it more simply, they want to ban him because they don't like him. That isn't the way discussion boards operate.

People get banned from forums when these two statements can be shown to be repeatedly true:

1) The person's posts are untolerably abusive.
    2) The person's posts are consistently counter-productive.

No they wanted ban him because he was a muppet. Read Devores post.

The milkshake is just an example of his general muppetry.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by ColinM

To put it more simply, they want to ban him because they don't like him. That isn't the way discussion boards operate.

Says who? The United Nations Committee on Forums? Em no. Other forums are far more strict than boards is. Some are far more liberal. On SA you can get banned from the entire site for including a word like "ITT" in your topic. And that means losing ten dollars. Other sites let most things go, but are hard to read due to the anarchy. I think boards almost has the right balance.

People get banned from forums when these two statements can be shown to be repeatedly true:

1) The person's posts are untolerably abusive.
    2) The person's posts are consistently counter-productive.

Or that they are posting something that's illegal, or possibly libelous or that they are universally disliked by the regulars of that forum etc. etc.

Jesus, Hobbes, when everyone thinks someone is a muppet, it means they think his opinion counts for nothing and/or they don't like him.

Amp, what I said still holds true. Other forums may have additional particular rules, but if you avoid making those two particular statements true of yourself on any forum, you are distinctly unlikely to get banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by amp

that they are universally disliked by the regulars of that forum etc. etc. [/B]

So it IS just a damn popularuty contest.:eek:

Bugger:p

Is it just me or does Hobbes seem to keep contradicting himself?

Hold on a second I didn't nearly kill somebody there. I don't know where this idea is coming from.

If I shot...let's just say 'hobbes...So if I shot hobbes a couple of times with a gun and he had to be taken to hospital and was put on life support in intensive care etc, only to survive - THEN you could say "utility_ you sound bastard, you almost killed Hobbes".

However, the arguement that a 1 in a million chance of anything bad happening there constitutes saying that I "ALMOST KILLED" a person is a pretty pathetic one. You're really clutching at straws there.

And "amp", I know other boards are more strict/lenient at times, however that's not the point. Let's just say I somehow became a mod of a forum you frequent...You make a post only to find out that the post after it was "I banned amp cause in real life I get absolutely no respect from anyone so when I come on boards I like to enforce my will on others", how would you react?

Would you think "Oh that's fine, it IS boards.ie after all and other forums are way more strict"? If you would then thats fine, but at the moment your whole arguement on the subject is pretty weak.

Its just you. Or you could just point out the parts.
    Originally posted by utility_
    Hold on a second I didn't nearly kill somebody there. I don't know where this idea is coming from.

If I shot...let's just say 'hobbes...So if I shot hobbes a couple of times with a gun and he had to be taken to hospital and was put on life support in intensive care etc, only to survive - THEN you could say "utility_ you sound bastard, you almost killed Hobbes".

Oh dear I seem to be getting to someone (Of course I know you are not serious because no one would be that monumentally fuking stupid).

But actually if you don't read the thread to its full conclusion then you make it sound like you put the womans life in danger, although hanging out of a car window probably wouldn't help matters.

Bottom line is... we don't give a toss. Cry more about being banned, it is funny. At least Glenstal was funnier then you.

Normally when I was about to ban someone I would check thier history. If they were shown to be a muppet they got a ban otherwise they just got the post nuked where they are acting the muppet.

There really, and the rest kind of, mostly what ColinM said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Originally posted by utility_

However, the arguement that a 1 in a million chance of anything bad happening there constitutes saying that I "ALMOST KILLED" a person is a pretty pathetic one. You're really clutching at straws there.
    Still don't think that it excuses your absolute muppetry in the incident concerned. Ok so you did not "nearly kill" the person involved. But to come onto a public community board and gloat about it is way out of order. Anyhow that incident has been done to death and you cannot take back what you did.

And "amp", I know other boards are more strict/lenient at times, however that's not the point. Let's just say I somehow became a mod of a forum you frequent...You make a post only to find out that the post after it was "I banned amp cause in real life I get absolutely no respect from anyone so when I come on boards I like to enforce my will on others", how would you react?

Would you think "Oh that's fine, it IS boards.ie after all and other forums are way more strict"? If you would then thats fine, but at the moment your whole arguement on the subject is pretty weak.
    I think amp is trying to say that it does not matter a fnuk why you are banned. The "Ah! this is not fair" argument holds no water.(Believe me I know) You are a person, by reading some of your posts, who would require too much of a "eye" to be kept on. To be honest your comments are proably not worth it. And all the rattle throwing in the world will not make a blind bit of difference. Yes it's not fair. But build a bridge and, as they say in your part of the world, get over it!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement