Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ignorant mod pt 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by utility_
    blah blah blah....

"I banned amp cause in real life I get absolutely no respect from anyone so when I come on boards I like to enforce my will on others", how would you react?

This is a fine example of both speculation and trolling. Well not really. It's a rather crude example. In fact it's pretty crap.

Firstly utility has absolutely no way at all of knowing how people live their lives in real-life(tm) or if they get respect from anyone or not. And it's a troll because it's included as a hypothetical situation.

But really what utilitly is trying to do is pass on that age old messages stupid fight the power newbies have being trying to get across since the dawn of boards: OMG YOU HAV NOE LOIF! AND I DO! EVAN THOUGH I POST THIS SLAG TO YOU ON TEH INTERWEB! A WINNAR IS ME1!

This is boring utility. Utterly boring. Please bring new trolls and flames or try not posting. Either's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Not sure how that is contridiction? If I was mod in CS and he posted muppet posts like he did (Devore Mentions, Ultility is the only one saying it is unprovoked), I would check his post history in other forums before just removing his muppet post or banning him completely.

His "Help a Bro out" is just one example of countless muppet posts.

Just because your an ass on one forum doesn't guarantee you immunity on another.

Now if I was contridicting myself, please show me the other post where I say the reverse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

Of course you care, Hobbes - otherwise you wouldn't be contributing to this thread.

I care - because there is a serious principle involved, and I'm looking out for your future on boards here just as much as Utility or anyone else. It's a fairness thing.

And you are contradicting yourself, but in a fairly subtle way.

You say you disagree with me, but yet you present an argument that actually supports what I'm saying should be the case. You would only consider banning someone from your forum only after they post something that contravenes the rules of the forum and it can be demonstrated that they have built up a history of doing so.

That's the way things should be.

See this post of yours further up the page.

Amp, Utility isn't trolling. He's making use of hyperbole and humour to make a serious point.

Originally posted by Hobbes
    Bottom line is... we don't give a toss. Cry more about being banned, it is funny. At least Glenstal was funnier then you.

Have you even read this thread? Says a lot about you tbh...

Either way I'm not "crying" about being banned, like I said(again AND again) it was just the principle of the whole scenario.

Can you even make one post without being a total flamer? You remind me of the people who are just blindly pro-American on the politics forum. No matter what anyone says, they're right. They dodge questions, and answer questions the way they want to answer them, not even answering the questions asked 90% of the time, and 99% of the time coming out with plain insults and nonsensical ramblings.

Ok here it is, my point was proved while I was typing it!

Originally posted by amp
    This is a fine example of both speculation and trolling. Well not really. It's a rather crude example. In fact it's pretty crap.
    First, the user makes no attempt to answer the question at hand, or even reply to the topic, but rather to put down the post in an insulting manner

Firstly utility has absolutely no way at all of knowing how people live their lives in real-life(tm) or if they get respect from anyone or not. And it's a troll because it's included as a hypothetical situation.
    Ok I will admit this was a pretty lame jab, however just because it's a hypothetical situation doesn't automatically make me a "troll".

But really what utilitly is trying to do is pass on that age old messages stupid fight the power newbies have being trying to get across since the dawn of boards: OMG YOU HAV NOE LOIF! AND I DO! EVAN THOUGH I POST THIS SLAG TO YOU ON TEH INTERWEB! A WINNAR IS ME1!

This is boring utility. Utterly boring. Please bring new trolls and flames or try not posting. Either's fine.
    Here we have a nice mixture of nonsensical ramblings and (attempted) humour, finished off with an insult directed at the poster who's questions have just been dodged.

Nothing was achieved by that post. You could have easily said what you wanted to in one sentence, yet you chose not to. Was my question too hard? If it was then sorry.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by ColinM
    I care - because there is a serious principle involved, and I'm looking out for your future on boards here just as much as Utility or anyone else. It's a fairness thing.

Lets all hug and sing kumbyeya. I have been around since the creation of boards.ie and this argument has been done to death. So much so we even have joke cards about the subject under Gathering.

There is nothing to argue about.. the thread pretty much ended when Devore posted. I posted a comment nothing more. I do not care less about Util one way or another. I think he is a muppet but that is about it.

As for contridicting myself. I was replying to your comment...
    you cannot imprison somebody for a crime that they may commit in the future (cf. Minority Report).

Except that he had already committed a crime (posted stupid threads on CS, and others elsewhere). So that is all prehaps what you mean by I agree with you. But at no time was anyone banned for crime they may commit in the future.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Shop-steward of the boards users union.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

[scary thought] I actually think Utility is genuine open and honest person on boards with a bit of a chip on his shoulder....[scary thought]

You can say that the advice he asked for on the "milkshake" affair made him out to be a juvenile nutter (everyone is guilty of something)...but he was asking for advice and not abuse....

He's confrontational that maybe but in my few years at boards i have never seen a poster banned because they were not liked, people were banned for doing stupid things...

and imho , i'm sorry to say, i dont think utility would have been banned/disliked so much if he had not posted for advice on his "Milkshake" problem...I shudder to think what may happen to me if i had asked for advice on the **** that i have done or caused

Searrard = pillar of salt

Give the man a clean slate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

I do not care less about Util one way or another. I think he is a muppet but that is about it.
    There's a contradiction right there. You do care enough about him to dislike him.

I think I can see the reason for your contradictions:

1) You support the notion that someone should not be banned preemptively.

2) You just plain don't like Utility, and want to ban him preemptively.

Just like many lofty ideals (such as free speech) you can't have it only when it suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Will you look out for the children? Noone ever thinks of the children.

Seriously ColinM, are you running for President? Whats your bag with defending useless boils?

• Advertisement

1) You support the notion that someone should not be banned preemptively.

2) You just plain don't like Utility, and want to ban him preemptively.

Just like many lofty ideals (such as free speech) you can't have it only when it suits you.

I didn't say anything about pre-emptive ban? A Pre-emptive ban would be someone coming to a forum I moderate saying "Hi" and I banned them for no reason other then I hate them.

Trust me if we had that kind of rule in place there would be a hell of a lot less people here (myself included).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Whats your bag with defending useless boils?

He is one.

I didn't say anything about pre-emptive ban? A Pre-emptive ban would be someone coming to a forum I moderate saying "Hi" and I banned them for no reason other then I hate them.

What exactly would that be pre-empting?

Well in your case this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Shop-steward of the boards users union.
    Will you look out for the children? Noone ever thinks of the children.

LOL @ above comments.

Wasn't ColinM the person who railed up for some other mug that was banned? This person has posted muppety threads (i.e the milkshake one - dunno bout what goes on in CS, as I don't go there...but I can guess) and you will always judged on your past actions. If those past actions lead to people wishing to ban you, then you only have yourself to blame.

Ok here it is, my point was proved while I was typing it!

There's a point? Good lord.

First, the user makes no attempt to answer the question at hand, or even reply to the topic, but rather to put down the post in an insulting manner

I already did, but given that this thread has served it's particularly pointless purpose, it's reached it's decadent stage. This will become more familiar to you in time utility_

Ok I will admit this was a pretty lame jab, however just because it's a hypothetical situation doesn't automatically make me a "troll".

At no stage have I ever accused you of being a "troll" or any other fictional character. I demand you withdraw this allegation in the name of the baby Jesus.

Here we have a nice mixture of nonsensical ramblings and (attempted) humour, finished off with an insult directed at the poster who's questions have just been dodged.

Well now, you're no stranger to direct insults yourself. Also I am under no obligation to answer whatever questions you claim to have asked. Commenting on your stupidity is on-topic as the discussion (such as it is) is about you and your interactions with a moderator.

Nothing was achieved by that post. You could have easily said what you wanted to in one sentence, yet you chose not to. Was my question too hard? If it was then sorry.

Well it made me laugh, and that's the important thing. Can you ask the question again? I can't seem to find it in your self-righteous me-versus-world posts. :)

But by all means carry on the good fight to free the suppressed peoples of boards.ie. Get them to the promised land whatever the obstacles.

God be with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Originally posted by amp
    /me adds ferdi to "People who I'm going to have to supress" list in diary.
    "your on my list, your in for it now Tony!"
    :D
    u'll never get mods challanging mods openly on such matters, its sort of a freemasons thing they have going on.

ah no seriously, this is getting out of hand, this thread is doing only bad things for karma - someone close it please?!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I'm a wee bit contrary, and I suspect that quite a few others around here are too.

"Will someone close this thread that isn't going the way I like" is likely to prolong the lifetime of the thread even if it should be closed.

ColinM standing up for principle and freedom isn't plausible considering some of the causes and stances he has adopted in the past.

FWIW, I looked fairly closely at utility's complaint (and I'm not LTM's best mate either) and didn't see it being clearcut either way, nor was anyone doing much to back up their situation apart from flinging poo at each other. I did chat to DeVore about it over the weekend, and he seems to have looked into it further. Is that not a result? utility_ has indicated that it is.

Responding to every jab and troll and criticising mods who aren't involved in the complaint at hand doesn't help your case very much when you want a decision/response from the admins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

Okay, here's exactly why I banned utility (you'd want to be awfully dense to take the "because you exist" comment literally).

First of all, he's posted nothing but arrogant, inflammatory crapola on the CS board. Based on that alone, I still probably wouldn't have banned him - but he has a tendency to spout the same stuff on IRC, and his "I SHOULD BE KING OF BOARDS.IE!" signature just plain REEKED of a self-centered "Lol ur all gay" attitude. This is why I banned him. It wasn't a pre-emptive ban really, just sort of nipping it in the bud. The CS board, as we all know, has a huge muppet turnover...

The proverbial straw on my back was when he posted "pfft, I predicted this on IRC" on the Team Ireland thread after we lost narrowly to the Netherlands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

As anyone can tell you obviously me and LTM aren't the best of friends but I agree with him on this one.

I'm with you all the way utility.

The duplicity of man.

.logic.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by amp

Well it made me laugh, and that's the important thing. Can you ask the question again? I can't seem to find it in your self-righteous me-versus-world posts. :)

my question :
    And "amp", I know other boards are more strict/lenient at times, however that's not the point. Let's just say I somehow became a mod of a forum you frequent...You make a post only to find out that the post after it was "I banned amp cause in real life I get absolutely no respect from anyone so when I come on boards I like to enforce my will on others", how would you react?

Would you think "Oh that's fine, it IS boards.ie after all and other forums are way more strict"?

Originally posted by Littletinyman
    his "I SHOULD BE KING OF BOARDS.IE!" signature just plain REEKED of a self-centered "Lol ur all gay" attitude.
    haha yeah I rock

The proverbial straw on my back was when he posted "pfft, I predicted this on IRC" on the Team Ireland thread after we lost narrowly to the Netherlands.
    So I got banned because I didn't agree with everyone else? What you're saying is that I should have posted more along the lines of "well played lads gg!"? I got banned because I didn't post what you wanted me to.

Glad we cleared that up! For a second there I thought I was banned cause I just plain old existed :(:mad::(

edit: Sig's back by popular demand. Never knew you liked it so much par

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Littletinyman
    First of all, he's posted nothing but arrogant, inflammatory crapola on the <pick a forum> board.
    That's generally a good enough reason for a banning. I've banned people for that. Sometimes a warning is called for, sometimes it isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by sceptre
    That's generally a good enough reason for a banning. I've banned people for that. Sometimes a warning is called for, sometimes it isn't.
    And thats what you banned LTM for yesterday. :)

You make a post only to find out that the post after it was "I banned amp,[Troll removed] how would you react?

Oh so this was a question rather than, as you say yourself, a cheap jab. I've taken out the troll which leaves the question as pretty much how I would react if utility banned me.

Well my first reaction would be "How on earth did utility_ become a moderator?" My next reaction would be to review my actions and then try not to repeat them in the future. I would seriously consider my posting habits on boards. I'd also accept the fact that others have been on boards far longer than I and that maybe I haven't fully got the full flavour of boards yet.

Would you think "Oh that's fine, it IS boards.ie after all and other forums are way more strict"?

Yeah probably. I certainly wouldn't bother with a crusade of which I have no hope of winning. I wouldn't start bleating and slagging off a moderator. I'd take my punishment like a man instead of a spoilt child.

Hope this answers your questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

haha yeah I rock
    OK, I'm banning you now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Hoho I sure do love these witch-hunts, no really, continue....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

So I got banned because I didn't agree with everyone else? What you're saying is that I should have posted more along the lines of "well played lads gg!"? I got banned because I didn't post what you wanted me to.

Well you're opinion on a subject you know little or nothing about was quite ignorant. The zero tolerance moderating on the CS board is because of people like you who find CS, and decide they know absolutely everything about it and post these stupid arrogant posts when in fact nobody cares about your uninformed opinions...

It was your ignorant comment after alot of random crap already on the board which probably got you banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

who is this "utility_"??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

who is this "utility_"??

he is bubblès and/or boston

just a great big attention whore

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement