Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

build vs buy from a company

• 01-11-2003 6:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

which is cheaper?

Dell for example sells 2.4, 40 gig, TFT .... for 600 euros i mean try to beats that, and plus that comes with a guarantee, and that's a big thing!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

my personal opinion is that build is better (if ye know what ur at)

ill give a few reasons.

when buting from a company like dell they never seem to tell u exactly whats under the hood. sure they might give you a chip with an 800 fsb but does the motherboard support that? im sure it would but the fact that they never mention anything other that the price and the bare essentials kinda makes me suspicious.

if you build your own then it would be much easier to upgrade your system. the companies have a habbit of making their cases non generic. this means that if you do wanna upgrade the machine you will have to back to the company to do it. im not sure what they charge for this but it might be their money maker so i guess you might wanna do your homework on this aspect at least.

at the end of the day it is a tough call. if your confident that you can put a machine together well then do because that way you can make sure that all the different components are as good as you want them to be. on the other hand, if you want the advantages offered by the companies (ie. no assembly, quick delivery, warrenty, cheap flat screens) then go for that. just be warned that if you really want something specificly taylored to your needs then u might wanna do it yourself.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you build your own AND you want to use windows you have to buy a license..

Also depends on what you use it for - if it will only be used as a word processor it won't need to be upgraded - where as if you want to upgrade it self build may be easier..

if your the type that wants to upgrade then u probably have a copy of windows already. if you dont have a copy then yeah, of course, you would have to include that in the cost too.

one thing i will say is that buying from a company almost seems like the cheapest/best way to get a TFT at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

i'm looking into tyring to build my own too. The only prob is that i have ever done it before. I just wanted to do it cuz it would be a good bit cheaper.

can any of your mates help you out suppafly? if not then there are tonnes of walk throughs on the net. just have a look on google. make sure that its up to date too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if your the type that wants to upgrade then u probably have a copy of windows already

Of course you'd have a full copy of windows - not the OEM version that can't be used on another mother board.. ;)

If using Linux or even if you have a FULL copy of windows you could try getting a refund off the price of windows on a new machine. porcine aviators

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

sorry for not repling earlier, been gone,

ok here is it, i have built systems on my own, but i don't want this computer for myself so that means i don't care what's inside it, i just want to get a decent system with a cheap price(and guarantee is good too because if something goes wrong with a self built system, your gonna have to war more with a shop than with a company such as Dell), and the one i'm buying this computer for doesn't need an upgrade, so i think i'm gonna go with dell. The only system i bought for myself from a company was Dimension 8250 and must say that i'll never ever buy a built system for myself again! but again, but again i don't want this for me

Advertisement