Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are IOL XBOx certified with no pings ??

• 01-11-2003 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

MS recently awarded Xbox certification to NTL ESAT and Eircom based on service quality I suppose, that would have to include ICMP .

If IOL have pings disabled would not it follow that IOL (not ESATs business product) is NOT Xbox certified, I was asked today and wanted to clear it up if anyone knows the definitive answer, Christmas is coming.

M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

http://www.xbox.com/en-ie/live/start/broadband/

theres some set up guides for the diffrent BB providers there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

icmp packets 99% of the time do not affect game pings, to servers or otherwise.

I say 99% of the time, as i'm sure there's something out there i don't know of

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Zefren

To clear things up....

I did some of the testing for XBox on the Esat network and all testing had been completed before the ICMP blocking was put in place, so MS were able to guage response times based on our play and our feedback.

I was actually quite impressed with it, especially on the residential product, multiplayer gaming worked well, not a whole lot of lag and the voice link up worked (it's quite funny listening to american teenagers shouting at spanish kids to "press the join button .. oh c'mon, please someone join the game" ;-)

Zef

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Muck
    MS recently awarded Xbox certification to NTL ESAT and Eircom based on service quality I suppose, that would have to include ICMP .
    Why would you suppose that, Muck? Do you think your average gamer would know an ICMP packet from a hole in the ground?

Quit the ****-stirring. Why don't you just ask if anyone has used the XBox on IOLBB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Is ICMP passed through on the Business ADSL product.

If so, why is it not available on the Consumer product.

If no, ESAT / IOL are consistent so I have no problems with them.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Yes its passed on the Business product.
    Presumably we pay all that extra dosh and therefore deserve it or sommet :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I AM ON XBOX LIVE WITH IOLBB!!

There is no problems with ICMP disabled. I have been on Xbox Live since July.

I was playing Crimison Skies with 15 other players today and there was no lag, i repeat NO LAG.

The only lag i have ever experienced is on wolfy because of the host reaching his hosting limit.

And whats with the want for ICMP. I know a few people on IOLBB who have never experienced trouble with games since they disabled it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Originally posted by clownboy
    And whats with the want for ICMP. I know a few people on IOLBB who have never experienced trouble with games since they disabled it.
    If I was with IOL I wouldn't be happy if they were filtering any type of traffic without me requesting it. They're being paid to provide you with an IP address and route your traffic. They should not be able to selectively choose which traffic they route. Blocking ICMP echo request/reply (ping) is at most going to annoying to some ppl, but blocking all ICMP traffic is just a really stupid idea. It isn't there just for a laugh, it's an important part of the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Next question is !

Does one have to firewall the bloody thing :D and how, it is running a MS OS after all.

One is advising a parent who does not want to find themselves 'serving' anything .

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

I'd suggest that having any broadband service without a firewall is not a good idea (whether using Xbox Live! or not).

That said.... based on what I know about Xbox and Xbox Live! I see no risk to the actual Xbox if there is no firewall in place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement