Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone fav DOS utilities you still live for?

Options
  • 01-11-2003 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

With Windows/Linux/Mac OSs all going strong these days... ole DOS is being squeezed out (quite rightly!) but does anyone still hark for some utilities that haven't quite made it yet in the Windows world?

ie, I use a time utility myself called "Geoclock" (google this!) and this cool tool shows you where/when the sunsets/rises graphically and the changes through the year. There doesn't seem to be a half decent windows/linux version of this? Anyone know?

Another example is VistaPro3... This was class! I still miss this... Bryce isn't quite the same... but still. :)

What programs would you still use from time to time ? excluding things like PKZIPs etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

PKzip needs a license - use UNZIP / UNZIP32 instead.. :)

In windows 2000 / windows XP - create a shortcut to CMD - this gives you the dos prompt

Mirror from DOS 5 allows you to make a backup of your partition table. Xcopy is essential if you want to copy files - though it's /D option seems broken in XP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

<B> Mirror from DOS 5 allows you to make a backup of your partition table </B>

Lol! Great to see that MS-DOS5 is alive and kicking. Hey you should try out the DosBox tool at http://dosbox.sourceforge.net. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

ranish partition manager

allows you to partition/format a drive,loads of filesystem types, and got a very neat way of chosing a partition when booting

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭davil

Ye old qbasic!!!!!

The fun I had [too lazy to learn C or anything else for that matter]

Geoclock is class. CTHUGHA was class. FRACTINT was great when you had never seen proper SVGA before, as was GWS. WOW 800x600 svga!!!!!!!!! anyway, I wish I was back in me DOS days, hex editing SIMCITY (didn't have a clue what I was doing) and making it look weird. Can't remember the other stuff. Used to have a program with a calculator and loads of other utilities that stayed in memory until you hit alt+shift or something - anyone remember that util???

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by davil
    Y Used to have a program with a calculator and loads of other utilities that stayed in memory until you hit alt+shift or something - anyone remember that util???

Sidekick - it could copy stuff out of the screen buffer when wordstar crashed - it could also paste in to the keyboard buffer so you could have "macros" for various programs :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭davil

Dat's de one. Good memory, lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

must resist urge to post........

ah F*sk it....

CIVILISATION 1!!!!! UHUH, OH YEA! :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Now do you mean utilities that are part of DOS itself or DOS
    based utilities...

I use GDISK a lot, or as we findly refer to it here, GEEDISK.. :D

Tis a saviour when recreating partitions that FDISK and the such
    cant pick up.. one simple command and they are allllllll gone..

Such a lovely likkle utility :):p

RE:
    Tis a saviour when recreating partitions that FDISK and the such
    cant pick up.. one simple command and they are allllllll gone..
    Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    Mirror from DOS 5 allows you to make a backup of your partition table.
    ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Hmm, remember with qbasic you could play that ape and banana game as well as snake. God, I'd love to have that back again :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

oh my god yeah the gorilla thing was brilliant,it was installed on the pc's in the cad labs in dundalk rtc.i am not sure why the bananas exploded on impact, its very like pocket tanks, except the original :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

taz
    those games are the reason I never learnt qbasic

Advertisement