Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB Ripwave and bad weather....

• 01-11-2003 10:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭

So I have the hardware and it's getting, at best, a constant red light on the modem. A now it's constantly dropping the connection, it spends more time offline than online and when it does connect it's at pathetic speed.

Is this due to the bad weather at the moment? It's wet and windy but does that make a difference?

I mean, if it does then this isn't the best BB solution heading into the winter!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

move your ripwave box around to see if you can get a better signal elsewhere in the house/apartment/place of living.

i doubt its weather

Rain, Cloud and fog generally do not effect line of sight signals when you are inside their coverage area and there is no physical obstruction to that line of sight.
    If it's very windy though and your mast isn't secured properly it may have gone slightly out of allignment.

I don't know the technicalities specifically regarding IBB so if I were you I'd be getting their engineer out.

mm

*edit*
    move your ripwave box around to see if you can get a better signal elsewhere in the house/apartment/place of living.

That comment suggests you don't have an outdoor mast for that service?? pardon my ignorance:o if thats the case please disregard my advice as I am speaking in general terms about line of sight transmissions and outdoor masts.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Bubba

I had the same problom but when i moved the modem up into my attic i am now getting an orange light constantly and sometimes green!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

Originally posted by Bubba
    I had the same problom but when i moved the modem up into my attic i am now getting an orange light constantly and sometimes green!

Unfortunately I'm currently typing this in our attic and the connection is awful. It's varying between flashing red (ie. no connection) and constant red with alltime highs of, get this, 10K a second! Very annoying, but what can ya do, if you're not in the right place I guess it just won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Bubba

yea i supppose if u live to far away it won't work, but saying that my friend lives in Rathfarnham and couldn't get a signal from 3rock and i live alot further from him and i can still get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

I was supposed to be connected to Ripwave last week but there was no signal in my area despite being close to 3Rock. The guy who came to install it didn't know why it wasn't picking up the signal but suspect its because I'm on the side of a hill.

And yes I know Ripwave is non LOS but I can't think of any other reason why it wouldn't work.

You would probably be better off with the Breeze product but thats probably going to be a wait of 6-8 weeks and I've heard that they can't take any more users on the RTE tower at the moment (not sure about this though).

Advertisement