Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTP server - need a domain?

• 01-11-2003 11:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    I'm setting up an ftp server on my laptop, which will run off my desktop's broadband connection. Just setting it up so that people outside my LAN can get/upload files to and from me via the internet.

Everything's been going fine, but then I just realised - am I able to just use my static IP address, or will I need to buy a domain for the ftp to function?

Cheers,
    Sinecure.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

All you need is the IP address which you give to your clients along with the port number usually 21 a domain is not required.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Sorry, something I forgot to mention which makes things more complicated...

There is a 6 computer LAN in the house, with the one broadband connection being shared using MS internet sharing. My desktop is connected to that main LAN. The laptop is then sharing my desktop's internet connection, so it's a share of a share, if you will.

The networking works fine, with two network cards in the desktop on a Bridge5 connection.
    The only problem is with IP addesses...

Can you help with how I would go about configuring IPs to give one static IP address for my laptop, accessible from the internet?

Cheers,
    Sinecure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Then your only option is to setup the server on your desktop or install a hardware router and connect the modem to your router and forward port 21 to your laptops internal ip address or put the laptop in a DMZ if the router has a firewall though you would want to put zonealarm or something on it if you do that.
    Unless anyone else can suggest something easier/cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭malico

Best bet for you, in all honesty, is to use a low-mid range machine runnign Linux and have that share your internt connection. ON my network at home, my linux box (IO) is used as a gateway and I use it as a FTP and internal DHCP / Firewall server. Its a great idea as you can just leave it ina corner and never have to worry about it or booting it up or down!

Linux is good...

Advertisement