Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Bay

• 01-11-2003 11:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Went diving today in off sandycove in Dun Laoghaire today, COLD, is the vis always that crap? Could only see about 1/2 meters, compared to Killary at least 10 meters.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

I've dived in sandycove many a time and tbh its pot luck with the Vis. Sometimes its terrible and other times its not that bad at all
    i did some of my advanced open water course there too again it was pot luck with the vis

I've done a nite dive out there aswell which was FAB was very very cool

give it another go see what you think
    better luck next time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

IMO diving in dublin bay just sucks ass....and not in a good way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

does the vis get any better as you go out?

As part of my AOWD we had to go and find a dive that was 30m deep which meant sitting on a rib all the way out to the back of Lambay island.

Ofcourse when we went down past about 20m there was so much suspended particles (may have been tampons/condoms) floating about that it was completely dark....now i mean pitch black....Lambay island is about 3/4 miles offshore from malahide.

We did the dive and made it back up but i certainly wouldn't be rushing back out there.

That was my 5th dive in Dublin bay and as far as i remember i've done 6 in total. Not one gave any sort of decent vis. Probably be better vis in the canal.

Killary here I come:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Mick L

Originally posted by Pataman
    Killary here I come:D
    Killary is of course MUCH better than Dublin Bay but then again you'd probably get better viz in a tar pit than in Dublin Bay. However the best viz I've seen has got to be Donegal. Bit of a trek from Dublin but good diving.

well i've ever only dived in dublin bay :(
    so i cant compair to anything else im planning for a dive in the canaries next year with my bro but by the sounds of it im missing out on so much the vis in most parts of dublin bay arent great but then again ive never seen anything else

sounds like im missing out on lots

I am new to this but I have dived in Killary, scuba dive west, the vis was 10m at least. Going back in 2 weeks time, will let you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭ka

Not to blow our own trumpet up here - but many reports including recent ones in Irish Times - do confirm that the North West Coast has the best viz with up to and above 20m... of course we are open to the weather more so than other sites. But when its right it does all come together for a fantastic dive :-)

I'd forget the Irish sea - seems to polluted and murky;)

Originally posted by ka
    Not to blow our own trumpet up here - but many reports including recent ones in Irish Times - do confirm that the North West Coast has the best viz with up to and above 20m... of course we are open to the weather more so than other sites. But when its right it does all come together for a fantastic dive :-)

I'd forget the Irish sea - seems to polluted and murky;)

ka is pretty mich right.....

I've dived off the north coast and got 20-30m vis.....couldn't believe my own eyes since i knew i was in irish waters.

I know www.dvdiving.co.uk are diving off the noth coast...they also do technical dive training :rolleyes: ... okok i'll stop with the tech.....well until the next thread comes along.;) :ninja:

• Advertisement

i think the last boards dive was on the west coast next time one comes around (and assuming i have my scuba review done in time) i'll deff be on for another dive in the new year

Don't worry about the scuba review stopping you, there were reviews done during the last boards dive, didn't stop anyone from joining in. If you haven't got it done by then, use the next boards dive as an opportunity to do it. Also I think it was mentioned as an opportunity for non divers to give it a go so there should be a full range of experiences (hopefully we'll get a good turn out).

well in that case all aboard so if there is one orginazed for next year i'll be deff on for it so

Cant go to killary now. :( Where else in Dublin have you done your open water dives?

I've never dived there but a few people dive in Skerries. Not too sure what it's like, i think there's a lot of kelp. We nearly did our OW dives there but managed to go to Belmullet instead.

Kelp and traffic cones so i've heard.

The cones help with underwater navigation* until you have that speciality done. No need for the cones after that.

*This is of course not true. Don't blame me if you get lost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I believe the Shopping Trolley's Secret Graveyard is out there in the bay somewhere.

So its like an Elephant grave yard only with shopping trollies!!!
    I bet the knacks would love it out there thank god they havent learnt how to dive yet!! you can just picture it cant you :D

Originally posted by AL][EN
    So its like an Elephant grave yard only with shopping trollies!!!
    I bet the knacks would love it out there thank god they havent learnt how to dive yet!! you can just picture it cant you :D

hehe, everyone in shell tracksuits, nike fins and scuba gear....:cool:

gizz your air mista...

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Peace
    hehe, everyone in shell tracksuits, nike fins and scuba gear....:cool:

gizz your air mista...

I wonder would they then consider doing sovern rings for there regs?? :D

you could sell em on ebay you'd make a fortune :):):)

Advertisement