Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old lost gems

Options
  • 02-11-2003 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone here like me feel there is a game thats either really old or reletivly old that has been overlooked in its brilliance...

One game i found a while back was a really old PC game called Great Battles of The North Atlantic. This game was amazingly deep for such a old game. U play as either the german or british navies during ww2 and in campaign mode u had to either protect or raid the convoys. The battles were long but very tactiful and u could speed em up. The tension when as germans u race ur damaged task force to port is amazing. And though the graphics are woeful by todays standards they worked really well. U can d-load this game of some website for free today i'll try and find the address...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

mercenery 3.

you start out after getting out of prison after doing something in damocles(mercenery 2) and you have to stop pc bill from mining on the planet dion. this is one of teh most open ended games i have ever played and considering it was on the atari st is amazing. you have an entire solar system to explore, talk to people and get rich in the process. you can kill pc bill, you can buy him out or you can run for election on dion to stop him. there were shops and people to talk to and children to put standing beside massive time bombs and wait for the boom, not to metion the dogfighting against planetry defense systems, interplanetry travel(with real time dialation when realtivistic speeds are reached) and the alien spaceships waiting to kill you if you happen to go to the wrong areas of the system. and this was all in full 3d back in 1989. a masterpeice that has been long forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

www.the-underdogs.org

great abandonware site - have found loads of gems on there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Darklands is one of my favourite pc games ever. Open-ended RPGish type thing, roaming C13th germany increasing your fame. fantastic game. not many people've heard of it though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Suikoden 2.

I can't believe how many people overlooked this game because Final Fantasy VIII was out at the same time. In fact I'm guilty of it as well. I wouldn't have bought this game thanks to dodgy reviews from two dire magazines (including OPSM, idiots) and only got it when some one I know in Konami sent me a copy. I also waited a whole year until I finally got Suikoden 1 before I played it.

FFVIII turned out to be the most disappointing FF game so far. Suikoden 2 became my favourite game ever.

Gunstar heroes

Sold approximately 15 copies (gross exaggeration) and its by far the best game on the Mega Drive.

Einhander

Didn't sell too well. I picked this up recently as an impulse buy in America. It's now one of my favourite games and one of the best soundtracks ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

DUDE!!!!

Got gunstar heros when it was released luv it to BITS!!!!!!

it had a massive effect on my home town almost everyone who had a megadrive rented or borrowed it off me and the effect is so huge that one of our local bnds is named after it...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Space Quest 1, learn to type and play an adventure game! Score!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Got gunstar heros when it was released luv it to BITS!!!!!!

Same here. Nearly everyone in my town borrowed it off me. However some w*nker took a lend of it and moved house two days later (on purpose). If I find him I'll beat the lard out of him. It's worth a small fortune now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

GUNSTAR HEROES WAS THE BEST! I remember hearing my friend raving about this new game coming out, then I found it in a video shop some other time, rented it out loads, beat it plenty of times and then finally dled an emulation of it cause I couldn't find a copy for sale. The emulation sadly sucked. Just isn't the same without the MD controller... <sniff>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Macseamusa

super mario cart on the super-nes- class

snake rattle and roll on the nes- 2p co-op gaming with snakes that jump

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

DUDE!!!

we are looking for games that time forgot. Games which should have been remembered but have not. MArio Kart is not one of them. IT has sequels for every new nintendo system.

Gunstar heros deserves a sequel but prob will never get it. So does most of the games named. Great naval battles will never feel a 3dfx card on its old balding head as it will prob never have a sequel...

old LOST gems man....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Falgorn

Duck Hunt on the nintendo, Stunt Island, Flashback, Another World, Dune (the original), Golden Axe...

Can anyone remember that game on the nintendo where you were a cyborg and it had 2 player co-op and more than one platfom, did i mention you were a cyborg, and on level 2 you were on top of some vehicle driving straight along a tunnell and shooting stuff as it popped up arcade style...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

I never thought id be able to it but i did and now i have every start trek game evermade

That underdogs site had it, it was a game from 1989, Star Trek 5 the final frontier, full working version

Not the best of the ST games, but its fun for a blast around

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

I thought i had gun star heroes, turns out i did to, greatfun even beter in co-op.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

privateer 2 : the darkening

brilliant game, dunno why they didnt make a privateer 3 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Ghengkhis Khan 1

Was a brilliant in-depth strategy game from 1989.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Final Fantasy; Mystic Quest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Emylyn Hughes International Soccer on the Amstrad CPC 464.

Ahh the fun I had playing that .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Originally posted by Tellox
    Final Fantasy; Mystic Quest

Seiken Desetsu 1 AKA Legend of Mana 1 AKA Sword of Mana

can wait for the gba version in december.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

The Chaos Engine - a Bitmap Brothers game on the SNES and Amiga - is the coolest overlooked game. The co-operative play mode is awesome. It should be remade RIGHT NOW. Actually, I should just play it right now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Macseamusa

pong and sega indoor football

• Advertisement
Advertisement