Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home network

Options
  • 02-11-2003 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hello,

i am considering purchasing a laptop which i wish to share with my desktop PC and NTL broadband connection over a wireless connection.

What hardware would i need in order to set this network up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

Least hassleous solution:

Extra network card for PC, wireless hub, crossover cable, wireless card for laptop.

You'll need to use WinXP/2000/ME/98SE internet connection sharing for this to work. It's pretty easy to get going.

Slightly dodgier:

PCI Wireless card for desktop and wireless card for laptop. Put the wireless cards into Ad-hoc mode. It should work, I just don't trust it too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭shurl

Or ye can just buy a Wireless access point / broadband router / network hub in one.

Recommend the Netgear DG842m

Simply plug you pc's net card into the Netgear.
    Then use the wireless for the laptop.
    Both have broadband access though the Netgear

Simple set up (doing this myself)

Cheers
    S.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Yeah Netgear's pretty foolproof for a home network.

EDIT: There's a cable / adsl router the RP114 which might suit your needs as it would need one of the computers to be acting as an internet router for the others and the config is quite easy on a web based interface.

Advertisement